MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby Meade » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:56 pm

massimo, so you agree that Blaska's genius is sorely missed around this place?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:52 pm

I like Meade, he is a fine fellow.

I liked Harrissimo, he was and is a fine fellow.

I like c2gg, she is a fine fellow.

I like Huckleby, he is funny and a fine fellow.

I could go on all day.

Carry on.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:27 pm

What's going on here is very simple and I have noticed the same theme on more than one thread here.

The complainers are all liberals. What they are complaining abbot is the conservatives. They are losing the argument and searching for a way to control the dialog.

They can't win with ideas and now want to turn to censorship.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Comrade that is not what is happening.

It's a liberal forum. I think we can all agree on that.

Conservatives are powerless here. And now we are seeing the result of that - posters like Corny who have resorted to the forum equivalent of terrorist attacks.

I'm finally realizing that the political topics here are the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Better to post about gum and movies and Thomas Dolby.

It would be neat to see the politics categories shut down for a week and see who continues to contribute to the other topics.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 pm

I have to disagree, bdog. Comrade nailed it.

Why are so many people on the left so inclined to shut down speech? I don't see the same on the right. Do you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Good question Meade.

I'll ask you this...on that blog you post on from time to time there are mostly conservative posters yes? I should clarify - they are conservative compared to 90% of the forons yes?

If a foron posted there in a manner like corny posts here, what would happen? Would it be allowed to continue?

That may be a loaded question so feel free to disagree with how I framed it if you want.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:07 am

bdog wrote:I'll ask you this...on that blog you post on from time to time there are mostly conservative posters yes? I should clarify - they are conservative compared to 90% of the forons yes?

Yes.

bdog wrote:If a foron posted there in a manner like corny posts here, what would happen? Would it be allowed to continue?

It would be allowed to continue.

At that blog, commenters receive no special protections or favored status based on their political leanings or anything else. More speech is encouraged - partly because it tends to drive out bad or boring speech. Deletions are extremely infrequent.

At that blog, the so-called liberals in the commentariat are, yes, in the minority but they are valued for bringing dissent and diversity to the discussions. Also, while a few of the liberals there have flounced off, for the most part they are tough-minded, thick-skinned, smart, and willing to make comments and points that stand or fall on their own merits.

By contrast, at this forum, most of the so-called liberals are soft, overly sensitive, and dull. Pampered and made to feel safe in their perceived cocoon of Isthmus "progressivism", they whine and cry and complain when challenged with facts and reality. They have no idea of the favor that posters like Cornbread are handing them. Take "christopher robin" for example - they lack even enough self-awareness to see what losers they appear to others to be.

But there is another big difference between someone's personal blog and a forum like this. That particular blog is obviously a labor of love. This forum, unfortunately, is administered and moderated by individuals who find it to be a tedious job - a job for which they feel underpaid and not fully respected.

That's a problem. A problem only the owners of this site can solve.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Meade wrote:Why are so many people on the left so inclined to shut down speech? I don't see the same on the right. Do you?

Yes, NMMtM. Yes, I do.

When and where did you grow up, Meade? What sheltered locale was free of churchy do-gooders protecting everyone from safe sex pamphlets, alcohol advertising, Judy Blume novels, productions of Hair, images of gay people holding hands, Satanic rock and roll, etc.?

The post quoted above is lazy thinking, a perpetuation of a strategic meme, perpetuated by Fox commentators and right-wing bloggers. How do you think your favorite radio host runs her show? Do you think she lets anyone who calls in on the air? If she rejects a disruptive caller, is that shutting down speech? What do you think her show's black list looks like? How do you think it compares to this site's? Wouldn't that be a beauty pageant!

Have my personal communications with you been anything other than literally welcoming? Can you name a more tolerant, inclusive internet message board in the state? Look at cornbread's post count. If that's the result of suppression, then I'm clearly doing it wrong. He gets daily access to a significantly better quality audience than he could ever attract on his own, provided he could actually create his own blogspot site without help.

The conservatives who push things to the point of being 86d from here do so because they've run out of options for getting attention, just like the drunk who is asked to leave the bar not for fighting, but for refusing to keep his voice down. Worse, they actually need to get banned to help perpetuate your little morsel of pablum above. It's not that nobody cares what they say because they're conservatives, it's that nobody cares what they say because what they say is poorly written, unoriginal and repetitive. Who doesn't love them some bdog and Ned Flanders? Those guys have chops. The ones cited above don't/didn't. Saying they catch more crap because they're conservatives ignores the blatant truth that their posts make them out to be dullards. If they brought anything to the table, it would be hard to find it among the heavily-quoted posts, the stupid misspellings (intentional and not) and the shrill demands.

The truth: Conservatives here try to get sympathy by acting like donkeys and then pleading political correctness because this is Madison. It's Victimology 101.

New Media Meade the Moderate, if you like cornbread and peanutbutter so much, why don't the three of you start your own bowling team? I mean, you can't get enough of those dudes!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:26 pm

I post about movies and Thomas Dolby not because I don't care about politics -- I do -- but because as on Facebook, political discussions here get nasty and gratuitous real fast. Which is stressful. And not worth the trouble. For me.

I'm always up for another dumb debate of music poster etiquette, though. It's been a long time since we had a good one.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:Yes, NMMtM. Yes, I do.

When and where did you grow up, Meade?

Yikes. Such defensiveness.

As I said - a problem only the owners of this site can solve.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Meade wrote:Such defensiveness.

It's only defensiveness if you weren't taking a shot which, of course, you were. Meade gotta be Meade.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Comrade wrote:The complainers are all liberals.

bdog wrote:Conservatives are powerless here.

Beautiful.

TDPF's newer conservatives definitely have power—to stink up the joint. And it's not the conservatism that smells. Ned's been LSMing and Dear Leadering and Klintoning all over this board since before the new yokels knew how to work the internet.

But Ned's got two qualities the current offenders lack: a sense of humor independent of the one-liner talking points (occasionally at my expense, but funny's funny, man), and at least some interest in and fondness for Madison. Sorry, Ned, I doubt you're interested in an endorsement from me, but that's how I see it.

The new crew is unfunny—and surprisingly bitter, considering they're getting their political way as often as not these days.

Seriously, guys, you sound like sore losers even when you're not losing. What's appealing about that? Knock back a little of your favorite Islay and unclench, already.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 pm

bdog wrote:It would be neat to see the politics categories shut down for a week and see who continues to contribute to the other topics.

Almost every "leftist" :twisted: :P :lol: I know on here posts frequently outside of local and national political topics. Off the top of my head, Cornbread and Shultz never do and I think about 90% of Comrades posts are political. See a trend?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am

Some further coverage of The WELL:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ty/259504/

What the WELL's Rise and Fall Tell Us About Online Community
by Howard Rheingold

Decades before the term "social media" existed, in a now legendary and miraculously still living virtual community called "The WELL," a fellow who used the handle "Philcat" logged in one night in a panic: his son Gabe had been diagnosed with leukemia, and in the middle of the night he had nowhere else to turn but the friends he knew primarily by the text we typed to each other via primitive personal computers and slow modems.

I was part of the WELL almost from the very beginning. The Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link was founded in the spring of 1985 - before Mark Zuckerberg's first birthday. I joined in August of that first year.

----
http://www.internetevolution.com/author ... id=248265&

What Went Wrong With the WELL & Why It Matters
Once called "the world's most influential online community" on the cover of Wired magazine, at its peak the WELL counted users like the sci-fi authors Neal Stephenson and Cory Doctorow; visionaries like the musician Brian Eno and the virtual community expert Howard Rheingold; EFF founders John Perry Barlow, John Gilmore, and Mitch Kapor; and even rock stars like Billy Idol and David Crosby. The quality of its users' posts -- smart, funny, creative, and provocative on every imaginable subject -- inspired countless Internet entrepreneurs and thinkers.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com