MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rain!!!!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Rain!!!!

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Much as I love dry, hot weather, even I have to admit it got to be too much about 10 days ago. Too bad this came too late to save much of the corn crop.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

OK, the rain yesterday was fine, good even. But now a second day of lousy, rainy weather! What is this shit?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 pm

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

-Mark Twain
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Unfortunately it came down so quickly and heavily that a lot of it didn't sink into the ground and ran off instead.

You can always count on good Ol Henry to find the dark lining in every silver cloud.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 pm

doppel wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Unfortunately it came down so quickly and heavily that a lot of it didn't sink into the ground and ran off instead.

You can always count on good Ol Henry to find the dark lining in every silver cloud.

Actually, Henry's right. What the farmers said they needed was two to three inches of soft, sustained rain so that it had a chance to soak into the parched soil, which has a hard crust on it. Of course, that was three weeks ago and the crops are mostly ruined now, so I'm not sure that it matters.

The next time you're driving past a cornfield, look at the ears. They're little thin stalks and they've already tasseled, meaning they're ready to be picked. Except there's no corn on them, only cob. And to add insult to injury, farmers are going to have to spend money to harvest the cornfield even though there's no corn.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 pm

pjbogart wrote:The next time you're driving past a cornfield, look at the ears. They're little thin stalks and they've already tasseled, meaning they're ready to be picked. Except there's no corn on them, only cob. And to add insult to injury, farmers are going to have to spend money to harvest the cornfield even though there's no corn.

That's quite true--around my area they've tassled out and their only about four, maybe five feet tall. It won't be a total loss, because the farmers can sell the corn plants to dairy farms for cattle feed. But it's going to be almost a total loss.

The soybeans look a little better, but there are still losses.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:01 am

Yeah, everything needed rain in the spring. What we got now is fields full plants that will never deliver a crop.

That includes acorns. We're going to have some hungry squirrels this fall.

The apple crop was hit by the early spring followed by frost which killed off all the blossoms so technically that's not due to the drought. But it's not a good year to be a grower.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 pm

We need another 6 to 9 inches to end the drought.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Thunderheads are approaching. Hope we get a good bit of rain but not all the 6-9 inches at once. Sound kinda sexual to me!
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Yep, looks like round four is going to be a doozy. Me like da rain. It's been a weird weather year so far. It's been so dry even our native plantings have suffered (lost quite a few black-eyed susan's). On the plus side I suppose the soil has dried deeply enough that several successions of mosquitos are toast. Oddly, our peach trees have remained productive this year even if the pests that normally infest the apple trees have moved over to the peach trees.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Crap, now I gotta mow the lawn.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:40 pm

O.J. wrote:Crap, now I gotta mow the lawn.

Ya, had to do some mowing last week on what I call the lawn. Still more to cut but it's raining again so it will just have to wait.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe