MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Mitt Romney 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Mitt Romney 2012

Postby Aguynamedsmith » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Aguynamedsmith wrote:Yes, nothing provides a more honest and accurate portrayal of a man and his character than a carefully selected collection of screen grabs.

Except it wasn't carefully selected. It was every scene from the video.

And by the way, going through all my posts like that shows you have waaaay too much time on your hands, and it was a bit creepy.

Yeah, I watched the video too. It shows Romney interacting with black people, none of which are shown in the "screen grabs." You could do the same thing with an Obama video and tailor it to show him with only whites or blacks, depending on your choice.

I only looked at a few of your posts. "All" would be way too boring.
Aguynamedsmith

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Aguynamedsmith wrote: It shows Romney interacting with black people

This video, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BxPv8C58dg

My bad, two minutes and thirty seconds and I did see the back of a black guys head at 1:28.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:00 pm

"African-American Unemployment Rises Under Obama
blog.heritage.org/.../african-american-unemployment-rises-under-ob...Jun 21, 2011 – African-American Unemployment Rises Under Obama ... While CBS News reports that the national black unemployment rate is usually higher ...
Should Black Americans Expect More From Obama Than Any Other ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../black-voters ... ma_b...Jan 24, 2012 – When someone highlights the fact that black unemployment has actually worsened under the Obama Administration while improving within the ...
Articles: Barack Obama and the Betrayal of Black America
www.americanthinker.com/.../barack_obam ... of_b...Jun 2, 2011 – It is also important to note that black unemployment was lower under Bush than it has been at any point during Obama's administration. In point ...
Jerome Hudson: If Bush Hated Black People, What's Obama's ...
blog.chron.com/.../jerome-hudson-if-bush-hated-black-people-what’...Apr 18, 2012 – Indeed, under Obama's watch, vast swaths of wealth have eroded ... When Mr. Obama was inaugurated black unemployment was 12.6%.
Under Obama, Black Unemployment (16.2%) at Depression-Era ...
scottystarnes.wordpress.com/.../under-obama-black-unemployment-1...Under Obama, Black Unemployment (16.2%) at Depression-Era Levels. June 20, 2011 by Scotty Starnes. More hope and change folks. (CBSNews) The ...
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Black Americans have traditionally voted for Democratic candidates in overwhelming numbers. I doubt that will change anytime soon.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:African-American Unemployment Rises Under Obama

Funny, I thought this was a thread about Romney. I guess he hasn't got much going for him if you're going to post about Obama.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Black Americans have traditionally voted for Democratic candidates in overwhelming numbers.

Wasn't it LBJ that guar-on-teed the negro vote for the democrat party with the passage of the 64 CRA? I think kennedy was too early for that and it sounded like something LBJ would say, him being a democrat machine politician and all.

And yeah, phat lotta good the democrat party has done for blacks.
Isn't barrett's town of milwaukee, going into his second term, having black unemployment around 55%?
And what's the black HS graduation rate in milwaukee again?
Or chicago?
Or DC?
Or Detroit?
Or.....

I understand why the democrats have their con in getting the black vote. I just can't understand why most folks keep falling for it, over and over and over....OK< I understand it, I just don't want to accept it....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 pm

So your thesis would be that black Americans thrived under the Bushes (and in Wisconsin under Thompson, McCallum and Walker) but refuse to acknowledge that fact and therefore vote against their own best interests?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Tell us what benefits blacks would see in voting for Republicans over Democrats. Maybe take Milwaukee County as an example, and explain how it was a better place when Walker was in office there, and what he did for his black constitutents.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Rat-a-tat-tat-tat! It seems that some heavy ground fire is raining down here. Who's desperate?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

If Romney can't talk about what a great governor he was because it leads to healthcare mandate questions, and he can't talk about his time as CEO at Bain Capital because it leads to talking about destroying U.S. jobs, what's he got left?

In the article I linked, we get a ridiculous attempt at explaining away the Bain from Ed Gillespie:

He actually retired retroactively at that point," Romney adviser Ed Gillespie said. "He ended up not going back to the firm after his time in Salt Lake City. So he was actually retired from Bain.

The intarwebs are having fun with that one. Here's a good one:

Report: Romney Has Made V.P. Pick, Announcement Could Come As Early As Last April

and another:

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

peripat wrote:So your thesis would be that black Americans thrived under the Bushes (and in Wisconsin under Thompson, McCallum and Walker) but refuse to acknowledge that fact and therefore vote against their own best interests?

Not trying to be contrary, but there have been plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere claiming that people voting against their best interest is why the Republicans won in 2010, and more recently. The concept isn't exactly unheard of. The biggest problem with politics in the US is brand loyalty over reasoned thinking.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm

So you really believe black people did better under Republican administrations but refuse to admit it?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

peripat wrote:So you really believe black people did better under Republican administrations but refuse to admit it?

depends on the Republican administration
I hear Lincoln did a few positive things

All jokes aside, part of the problem I have with that question is that it lumps all black people into a single group, when they are divided by income and education just like other ethnic groups. There are segments that have been screwed by both parties. Inner city Milwaukee for example didn't prosper under Clinton or Obama, just like it didn't prosper under Bush 1+2 or Reagan.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 pm

The biggest problem with politics in the US is brand loyalty over reasoned thinking.

This is as good as any explanation as to WHY anyone but a billionaire would vote Republican. They aren't specifically Christian when it comes to policy. The only answer they have for the economy is huge tax cuts for the rich, and stripping away services for everyone else. They sell greed, pride, and racism about as well as McDonalds sells cheeseburgers though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
The biggest problem with politics in the US is brand loyalty over reasoned thinking.

This is as good as any explanation as to WHY anyone but a billionaire would vote Republican. They aren't specifically Christian when it comes to policy. The only answer they have for the economy is huge tax cuts for the rich, and stripping away services for everyone else. They sell greed, pride, and racism about as well as McDonalds sells cheeseburgers though.

Works for both parties, though with the Democratic party it's more an issue of too many people under the big top. Do people really think a union worker in Green Bay has the same political leaning as a College professor in Madison or a Baptist Minister in Milwaukee? (To be fair, the GOP has different branches as well, but isn't nearly as broad as the Democratic party).
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government