MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Louis C.K.

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Louis C.K.

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 am

I started watching "Louis" because it gets awards and mentions.

Can someone explain the appeal? He talks dirty. There's some deadpan humor, not a lot. The situations are a lttle more real than most sitcoms. I find it barely watchable. Is that wrong?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Louis C.K.

Postby john_titor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 pm

His stand-up routine is awesome. Haven't watched the show.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Agreed. The stand-up is golden, the show is meh.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Huckleby wrote:I started watching "Louis" because it gets awards and mentions. Can someone explain the appeal?
Not only can I not imagine what the appeal of a show called Louis would be, I have never even heard of such a show. Louie, on the other hand, is both hilarious and insightful.

See, attempting to explain jokes is always going to fail. And trying to convince someone that the thing they don't like is actually something they should totally like is pointless. So I just took the "you got the name of the show wrong" route instead. I hope you found this discussion valuable.

Huckleby wrote:Is that wrong?
Yes, a little.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I disliked Seinfeld when it was on the air because it seemed so yuppie-smug. I didn't really become a fan until it went into reruns and I figured out the shallowness of the characters was the joke.

Maybe Lewis will kick-in at some point. But I have to say I don't like the jokes about salad tossing and jism, I'm too delicate of a flower for that stuff.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:52 pm

Huckleby wrote:I don't like the jokes about salad tossing and jism, I'm too delicate of a flower for that stuff.
How does diarrhea sit with ya?

I'm with you on Seinfeld -- I didn't really start loving it until it was in syndication. So maybe you should just wait 6 years and then give ol' C.K. another chance. Who knows -- by then, sitcoms may have gotten so outrageous that you'll be thankful for the good ol' days of salad tossing and jism. Oh, and it's "Dlouie". The D is silent.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 am

For me, I have to view the show as a series of short films that happen to star (and are directed by) the same guy. The tone of the show can vary dramatically from episode to episode, even scene to scene, and that is one of its strengths. Some episodes have been distinctly 'meh' from me while others resonate with me in a way that is rare for the medium of television. If Season 1 doesn't rock you, try watching a bit of Season 2, Louie CK seems much more comfortable in his vision for the show.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 am

The remarkable thing about the show is that it's all Louis. There's no production company or network interference. Sometimes, that kind of input can smooth out some rough spots (those guys are, after all, professionals who are adept at catering to audiences), but it definitely dilutes an artist's vision as well. Sometimes that's for the best if said vision is a little over-the-line.

When comics talk about Louis C.K., it seems to me that most are amazed at how prolific he is. Is it true that he basically comes up with a new hour of stand-up each year? Talagaster can speak to how incredible that is.

I like the show, but it seems like every time I convince my fiance to watch it with me, I pick a really cringe-worthy episode.

By the way: Always loved Seinfeld, always will. I don't get Community's appeal, however.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am

jjoyce wrote: I like the show, but it seems like every time I convince my fiance to watch it with me, I pick a really cringe-worthy episode.

This is my problem too. I don't like to watch comedy alone, more fun to share a laugh. But Louie has been relegated to a minor guilty pleasure that I watch in my bathrobe late at night, alone with the flickering TV light.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 am

"Strap on the feed bag." - Melissa Leo
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 am

jjoyce wrote:By the way: Always loved Seinfeld, always

Agreed
jjoyce wrote: I don't get Community's appeal, however.

Because it's well written, is casted well, and is f-ing funny.

Now I gotta check out this Louis business.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 am

Stu Levitan wrote:"Strap on the feed bag." - Melissa Leo

If you didn't like this episode, I don't want to know you.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 am

P.S. "You owe me a grand."
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:52 am

The last two episode of Louis (start of season 3) have been really good, either my resistance has worn down or the show has gotten a lot better. The shows are not hilarious, but they're rivetting. They are like little Woody Allen vignettes with a rougher edge.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Louie Louie Louie, Louie
Louie Louie Lou-I
Louie Louie Louie
Louie Louie you're gonna cry

“Brother Louie” by The Stories:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exl0oSfTSoY

Yes, I would sing that opening line to his show too.

Louie, you were awesome on Leno last month. Even though he gave you shit, you dished it right back!

Link for those who missed it: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/louis-ck-tour-jay-leno-louie-341698

Yo! If you haven’t seen the show “Louie,” you have to “tune in”
to FX!

And CK, CK, CK (not Louie;) why did you always have to compete with me? I swear teenage boys are the BIGG-EST “Gossip Girls” and Soap Stars! Take your “Dynasty” and “Falcon Crest” and go back to “Dallas” dudes! [I mean “Knots Landing.”] And, CK, I got me some tan lines now. Butt you don’t get to C anymore K? Ha ha ha; ha ha ha.

Louis C.K. is on tour starting October 3 in Cleveland. He’s in Milwaukee on Oct. 10 & 11. Tickets are only available thru his website: https://buy.louisck.net/
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Return to TV