MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Why do you post here?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Why do you post here?

Postby bdog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Bookie has a great question for everyone:

TheBookPolice wrote:My question for everyone here is simply this: why do you post here?

-Is it to persuade people who disagree with you?

-Is it to antagonize people who disagree with you?

-Is it to seek out productive conversation with people, regardless of dis-/agreement?

-Is it to derail productive conversations between people, regardless of your dis-/agreement with them?

-Is it to make people laugh?

-Is it to make people angry?

-Is it to make people leave?

If you can't answer this honest question by speaking -- without cynicism or sarcasm -- to your own motivations regardless of other peoples' actions, then you've failed the test.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why do you post here?

Postby bdog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Boredom is my #1 reason, although at one time or another most of what is on Book's list has been applicable.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:My question for everyone here is simply this: why do you post here?
If you can't answer this honest question by speaking -- without cynicism or sarcasm -- to your own motivations regardless of other peoples' actions, then you've failed the test.

Wait--there's a test? Nobody told me there would be a test!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 pm

When I started posting on the DPF in 2002 it was about 6 months after I moved here. I had been following conversations on DPF from about the first two or three weeks or so from when we moved in (just before the attacks on 9/11/2001), but was too busy settling in at a new job and etc. to post. I can't even remember why I started posting. I tend to be a counterpuncher, so I must have been miffed at something. I don't start a lot of threads, which makes me feel like I'm sort of a parasite here.

I started out thinking I was a moderate on this forum, probably because when I started posting there was a lot of bomb throwing from the left, and I wanted to have a rational discussion. It's funny how the bomb throwers tend to flare out, but the people who want a good discussion still hang here. Even when I don't post much, which happens when I get busy at work, I always check to see what's going on.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm

My only reason for posting here is to try and break up some of bdog's boredom.

So you could say I post here for humanitarian reasons.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I post here because it is important to correct all the mistakes on the internet.

Second, I think there are some smart people here and I enjoy reading what they write. I want to put something back in exchange for the good I get out of it.

Third, writing out one's thoughts is good for the mind. It helps find and fill gaps in reasoning. So, self-improvement.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I must say that everything snoqueen said applies to me. Including what she said about self-importance.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

To get to the other side.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm here cause they pay me to post. Duh.

Wait... you guys aren't being paid??
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 am

Because no matter what my gut tells me, I continue to believe that these "discussions" are relevant. In general it is a bad idea to disregard ones gut feelings, but I am cautiously making an exception.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 am

Meade wrote:I must say that everything snoqueen said applies to me. Including what she said about self-importance.

But Sno said: "So, self-improvement," not self-importance. Uless you're saying self-improvement and self-importance are interchangeable.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

No, Scratch, Larry's being funny! Get it?

He's taking a jab at sno's post. Now, clearly, she should "own" the criticism, embrace it, run with it. We can all learn a lot from Larry.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am

This is the only internet forum/message board that I belong to. I post here because I find a lot of interesting conversations and people here. Sometimes it amuses me, sometimes it irritates me, often it informs me. I'm a life-long Madisonian, and it has a very Madison sensibility about it.

I suspect it's that very thing that prompts some people to jump in and shit all over perfectly good threads....that Madison-hating we hear so much about.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:38 am

jman111 wrote:No, Scratch, Larry's being funny! Get it?
He's taking a jab at sno's post. Now, clearly, she should "own" the criticism, embrace it, run with it. We can all learn a lot from Larry.

"Funny? Funny how?"--Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci)

But I'll admit I have learned a lot from Meade. For instance, obviously Little Larry's far too deep for me.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

gargantua wrote:This is the only internet forum/message board that I belong to. I post here because I find a lot of interesting conversations and people here. Sometimes it amuses me, sometimes it irritates me, often it informs me. I'm a life-long Madisonian, and it has a very Madison sensibility about it.

I suspect it's that very thing that prompts some people to jump in and shit all over perfectly good threads....that Madison-hating we hear so much about.

The shitters prompt me to post to bury their feces.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com