MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Vice President Paul?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Vice President Paul?

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:39 am

I always refer to tomatoes as "red fruit itchy mouth berries" which often causes some confusion among those who are less educated than myself. You see, contrary to the opinions of the plebian masses, tomatoes are actually a fruit and because they belong to the nightshade family it is fairly common to be mildly allergic to tomatoes. This is why they may produce a mild itching sensation in your mouth.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go grocery shopping for some red fruit itchy mouth berries, bos primigenius, monocot seeds and bovine mammary secretions.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm

pjbogart wrote:I always refer to tomatoes as "red fruit itchy mouth berries" which often causes some confusion among those who are less educated than myself.

Well, that is fine and a fair criticism of my use of the word liberal. Wrong, IMHO, and I will continue to use the word. But I gather you have at least heard of the word used in its correct form.

I am also usually careful to point out that I use it as a synonym for "libertarian" to avoid excessive confusion.

My comment was aimed at Stephen's never having heard it before. His reaction was wonderful. Since he had never heard of it, he felt justified in characterizing it as "horseshit".

This has nothing to do with education, BTW.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:24 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
pjbogart wrote:I always refer to tomatoes as "red fruit itchy mouth berries" which often causes some confusion among those who are less educated than myself.

Well, that is fine and a fair criticism of my use of the word liberal. Wrong, IMHO, and I will continue to use the word. But I gather you have at least heard of the word used in its correct form.

Oh yes, I've heard it used that way. In fact, I understand that Europeans often get confused by our political use of the word "liberal" because it means almost precisely the opposite to them as it does to us.

But, here in the United States the word has a fairly well understood meaning. Popping onto an internet message board, deliberately using the word in its uncommon usage and then spending half a page lecturing people on why you're correct is, well, douchey. I think that's Latin.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:12 pm

pjbogart wrote:But, here in the United States the word has a fairly well understood meaning. Popping onto an internet message board, deliberately using the word in its uncommon usage and then spending half a page lecturing people on why you're correct is, well, douchey. I think that's Latin.

Ditto. You could probably go almost anywhere in the US, tell someone you're a liberal and chances are pretty damn good they don't think "hey, just like libertarian right?"

johnfajardohenry wrote:Shocking for someone who wants to discuss politics not to even know the most basic terminology.

There is etymology and then there is modern day usage. YOU may not like that the term liberal actually means something different today than it did in the 19th century. Political etymology changes over time.

johnfajardohenry wrote:"Words such as liberal, liberty, libertarian, and libertine all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free"."

I'm actually pretty shocked that you don't consider yourself a liber.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I'm actually pretty shocked that you don't consider yourself a liber.

Wouldn't "liber" be an adjective? I do consider myself a liber man (as opposed to a slave, either literal or metaphorical)

Or perhaps its a typo and you meant "libber", as in someone who supports liberty.

I would be fine with that.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government