MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

School districts dealing with budget shortfalls

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

School districts dealing with budget shortfalls

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm

I thought we could collect news from various school districts around the state in this topic to compare how they are dealing with their budgets.

http://www.livinglakecountry.com/mukwon ... 74165.html

Here's Palmyra-Eagle, a relatively poor district on the SW corner of Waukesha County. They're having a referendum in November to correct physical plant issues:

Top facility priorities at Eagle Elementary include replacing outdated HVAC with energy-efficient units, addressing moisture issues by adding gutters, correcting site drainage and repairing the entrance, and replacing outdated water heaters and boilers with energy-saving models.

Top facility priorities at the high school/middle school include replacing the failing original roof and replacing outdated heating and ventilation systems with energy-efficient units....

Community members will... have the opportunity to tour schools to see the facilities needs firsthand.

We don't need to comment a lot on these news articles quite yet -- let's just gather them, watch what the communities do, and see what happens. I know forum members come from different parts of Wisconsin -- maybe people can monitor their home areas or school districts and contribute what news they find.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: School districts dealing with budget shortfalls

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 pm

This hasn't made the news yet, but a friend of mine in Lodi tells me that the school board for the Lodi Unified School District voted two days ago to fire all of the custodial staff. The district covers roughly 50 schools and 30,000 students, currently served by 10 full-time and seven part-time custodians. You can see a story about preliminary discussion on the topic here.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Detritus wrote:This hasn't made the news yet, but a friend of mine in Lodi tells me that the school board for the Lodi Unified School District voted two days ago to fire all of the custodial staff. The district covers roughly 50 schools and 30,000 students, currently served by 10 full-time and seven part-time custodians. You can see a story about preliminary discussion on the topic here.

Not to mention that the custodians have to fly to Lodi CA daily to take care of those 50 schools.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Igor wrote:Not to mention that the custodians have to fly to Lodi CA daily to take care of those 50 schools.

Oops--wrong Lodi. [url]Try this one[/url].
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:10 pm

snoqueen wrote:Here's Palmyra-Eagle, a relatively poor district on the SW corner of Waukesha County.

My sister is a teacher at Eagle Elementary, or whatever the school is called. I should give her a call and see if she'd post a first-hand account. I can't speak too much to the condition of her school, but I can tell you that she's complained that people in the community, which is very conservative, at times treat her as though she's some sort of enemy of the State. How dare she make money educating children! Doesn't she know that the taxpayers are hurting?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:04 am

So these conservatives are asking your sister to teach their children for free? Or at a loss?

I think all teachers should make a minimum of $100,000 per year. If you disagree you are part of the war on teachers.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 am

Igor wrote:
Detritus wrote:This hasn't made the news yet, but a friend of mine in Lodi tells me that the school board for the Lodi Unified School District voted two days ago to fire all of the custodial staff. The district covers roughly 50 schools and 30,000 students, currently served by 10 full-time and seven part-time custodians. You can see a story about preliminary discussion on the topic here.

Not to mention that the custodians have to fly to Lodi CA daily to take care of those 50 schools.

The story didn't sound right to me neither, Lodi WI has population less than 3000.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 am

Madsci wrote:The story didn't sound right to me neither, Lodi WI has population less than 3000.

The numbers I gave in my posting were from the wrong Lodi. The story I linked to, however, is from the right Lodi.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 am

bdog wrote:So these conservatives are asking your sister to teach their children for free? Or at a loss?

I think all teachers should make a minimum of $100,000 per year. If you disagree you are part of the war on teachers.

Thanks for your input, bdog. I'll ask my sister if she makes $100,000/year. It'll be worth a good laugh.

You know, you can google "average teacher salaries" and find some excellent links that tell you all about how much teachers make. The average salary in Wisconsin for a teacher is $52k/year, which isn't really such a bad job, but it's a far cry from $100k/year. I was a bit surprised that the average elementary school teacher earns slightly more than the average secondary school teacher, but this might simply be because they have longer average longevity.

I would suspect that a teacher earning $100k/year has 40 years of experience, coaches two sports teams, teaches summer school, has a master's degree, is the head of their department, serves in some administrative capacity and is really good at his or her job. But if not, perhaps you should sign up. I couldn't do it because I'd wind up smacking some kid, but perhaps you have the patience.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am

Detritus wrote:You can see a story about preliminary discussion on the topic here.

Almost makes me think my Nascar/janitor neighbor shouldn't have purchased that new camper last week.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 am

bdog wrote:I think all teachers should make a minimum of $100,000 per year. If you disagree you are part of the war on teachers.

It makes me feel good to know that we can agree on something.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 am

The second Lodi link needs fixing -- we still don't have the story. Thanks.

(minutes later)...

http://www.lodienews.com/main.asp?Secti ... cleID=3763

Here, I found one.... and another from earlier in the year for background:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Lodi-Sc ... index.html
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 am

If school privatizers moved in on Palmyra-Eagle, how would they finance the schools? What would they pay whoever they hired to watch the kids?

As I was wondering what would happen over there, those were the first thoughts I had. This is exactly what the legislators hoped would happen when they passed the budget bill, I think.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

bdog wrote:So these conservatives are asking your sister to teach their children for free? Or at a loss?

LMAO
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Detritus wrote:This hasn't made the news yet, but a friend of mine in Lodi tells me that the school board for the Lodi Unified School District voted two days ago to fire all of the custodial staff.

I do love the internet. It's a great place to source "I know a friend/I have an uncle that knows someone that...."

The district covers roughly 50 schools and 30,000 students,

:shock: That's a whole schmear of students for Lodi, a lil farm town that offers nothing but a pea plant and an A&W. 30,000 students? That's a whole lotta kids, 30,000 of them, for a farm town with a population of 3,000 proper.

The School District of Lodi is located in the beautiful Wisconsin River Valley and serves 1680 students from pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
http://www.lodi.k12.wi.us/dis_profile.cfm

Oh wait, you said "Lodi Unified" school district.
Yet your link doesn't state "Unified", just lodi school district.
I guess that's a typo on your part, huh?

But in your link, there's a lot of the typical emotional BS so common when being conned by the leftists. Funny.

Why is there no budgetary information on Lodi's school web page?
http://www.lodi.k12.wi.us/

No wonder you leftists are still breathing dinosaurs that have to rely on lying, cheating and omitting in an effort to continue the conjob ya'll are running on the working families in WI.

Leftists. Where has my democrat party gone? Leftists.....
Last edited by Cornbread on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government