MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Skylights & vasectomies

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Skylights & vasectomies

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 19, 2012 8:17 am

I'm considering both. I'll try to keep my questions/concerns separate as to avoid confusion.

Skylights: Poor installation is obviously a concern, but let's just say they're put in right. I've heard people say that they can really heat up a room if not shaded (in summer). I've also always pictured having them above the bed, but I've heard that in winter that can create a steady downdraft of cold air. Any experience?

Getting snipped: Correct procedure is obviously a concern, but in this case...I'll take all stories. I've heard everything from "it was no big deal, I had sex that day" to references of grapefruits and sitting on a pillow for a week. I guess I'm looking for a majority of the former.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Skylights & vasectomies

Postby bdog » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 am

Re vasectomy, I heard they go way up during the NCAA bb tourney. Perhaps schedule yours during the Olympics?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 19, 2012 11:29 am

narcoleptish wrote:Getting snipped: Correct procedure is obviously a concern, but in this case...I'll take all stories. I've heard everything from "it was no big deal, I had sex that day" to references of grapefruits and sitting on a pillow for a week. I guess I'm looking for a majority of the former.

Make sure the skylight at your doc's office is REALLY big.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 am

A leaky vasectomy will cost you more than a leaky skylight, but is generally more rewarding.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Sat May 19, 2012 5:22 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I'm considering both. I'll try to keep my questions/concerns separate as to avoid confusion.

Skylights: Poor installation is obviously a concern, but let's just say they're put in right. I've heard people say that they can really heat up a room if not shaded (in summer). I've also always pictured having them above the bed, but I've heard that in winter that can create a steady downdraft of cold air. Any experience?

My parents have a skylight in their loft. It was installed over 25 years ago (when they added the loft), and they've never had a problem with it leaking. It does have a shade, which is kept closed during the day in the summer. Opening it up at night really draws out the hot air, which is nice.

I sleep up in the loft when I visit (and the bed up there is right under the skylight)--I've never noticed any cold air downdrafts in the winter.

As far as vasectomies...I'm not super qualified to comment, but I do have a former co-worker who got snipped. He had an icepack on his groin for a day or two in the office, but managed to successfully hide the whole procedure from his wife, so it couldn't have been too traumatic.
sallybell

Postby clyde » Mon May 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Highly recommend the vas if that's what you want. I actually sat in on Mr. Clyde's procedure and it wasn't that bad. Particularly for me, not being the patient. ;) He had some soreness and a little swelling, and took a day off work but nothing too bad or too uncomfortable. We have the "all clear" and no more worries about rugrats! Just do your research beforehand and you'll be fine.

As for the skylight, my only other piece of advice is to not put one above your bed if you enjoy sleeping in. Or get a shade on the thing if you do! A place we vacation occasionally has an uncovered/unshaded skylight over the bed and I am not a morning person. At all.
clyde

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Never dealt with a skylight.

As to the vasectomy, it wasn't that bad. The first day afterwards it was kinda uncomfortable to walk, but I went to work including walking to and from the bus stop at both ends of my commute.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm

I had some skylights put in and the difference they make in brightening up the rooms is impressive. You are tempted to go back and turn out the lights in those rooms before you leave the house. They work fantastically. However, now due to heat leakage around them in the winter, we have ice dams form beneath the shingles lower on the roof. And the water leaks that go with them. We have a low pitch roof and they are located in the roof valleys, so that could be something you want to consider unless you like shoveling your roof all winter long as much as I do.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I like the looks of these skylight tube things, particularly for an internal room.

http://www.solatube.com/

This thread is demanding a two-fer partnership between Minor Procedures and SolaTube.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:I like the looks of these skylight tube things, particularly for an internal room.

http://www.solatube.com/

This thread is demanding a two-fer partnership between Minor Procedures and SolaTube.

These things are evil in that they often broadcast internal light into the night sky. It's a great idea, but they need some kind of light valve.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 am

The solatube will be less than half the price. If you can handle a reciprocating saw you can do it yourself.
Skylights that vent usually have metal hardware that can be a condensation magnet causing water drips in the house.
The step flashing on a skylight in combination with the many seals and dissimilar materials equal a much higher rate of failure.
You may be disappointed if you install a solatube on a steep North face of your roof, otherwise it's an easy choice.

fennel wrote:These things are evil

The type of light pollution fennel references is typically from exterior lights that are left on all night. People tend not to leave interior lights on while they sleep.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All