MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What R-rated movies did you sneak into?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun May 20, 2012 9:12 am

I'm not advocating the flouting of laws or the guidelines of the Motion Picture Association of America. But I can't have been the only youth who deviously bought a ticket for a PG- or PG-13-rated film at the multiplex, then nonchalantly took a seat for an R-rated festival of nudity and violence.

Looking back on this, I'm amused at the pairings. The first time was in 1983 at the Hermitage Four in suburban Nashville. I was in seventh grade, and I was spending the night at my friend Andy's house. His mom dropped us off at the the theater, where we bought tickets to ... "Hercules," featuring Lou Ferrigno. Then we made our way to the room showing David Cronenberg's "The Dead Zone," starring Christopher Walken. Terrific movie. It and that screening still linger with me.

Another time was a couple of years later at Rivergate Mall. In order to sneak into "Friday the 13th: A New Beginning," my friend Roy and I bought tickets to ... "King David," with Richard Gere. That was a megaflop for Bruce Beresford, but at least Roy and I did our part. Although I can't say for certain that they did, I like to imagine our parents quizzing us about "King David" afterward. "And then King David was, uh, the king, and he, uh, ruled, and, uh ..."

The theme here is tales of the Old Testament, and I'm not sure what that means. Maybe Someone was trying to tell me Something.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What R-rated movies did you sneak into?

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 10:19 am

Chuck Norris's Silent Rage.

Sample dialogue:

Chuck's love interest: It's so beautiful here.
Chuck: Yes...it's...very beautiful.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Blow-Up , with David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave 1966. I got into a suit, in order to look more adult. They never carded me. (I was 16) I enjoyed the movie. My European immigrant background gave me a little more laid back attitude about sex, even then. Oh, yeah and it was at the old Strand Theater, on the Square, where Chase is now. Well, it was fun to watch at the time. When I saw it again, years later, it seemed to have lost a lot.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Not Antonioni's best, but unforgettable.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I saw Blow Up as part of a double-feature with The Passenger at a theater called The Nickelodeon in Burlington, Vermont when I was 15.

That's a heapin' helpin' of Antonioni, hoss!

Other than contributing to my attribution bias about being the coolest teenager in the world, I learned that listless punks in swinging 60's London were as tiresome then as listless punks everywhere, anytime.

I like the tennis game at the end, though. Anyone who has ever taken acid has been there.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Also snuck into The Howling at the South Burlington Drive-in, early fall of 1981.

I spent the whole time slurping down Molson Goldens and making snarky comments, trying to get some play from the trailer-park girls from across Route 7.

A disproportionate number of my significant high school memories involve drive-ins.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun May 20, 2012 5:45 pm

My only drive-in experience was in the late 1980s, in White House, Tenn. I was at show choir camp, and we went as a group to a drive-in screening of, I think, "The Lost Boys." I wanted to sneak out, not in.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 20, 2012 5:50 pm

1st drive in was double feature of Caddyshack and The Long Riders.

Last was Blair Witch project.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun May 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't remember sneaking in, I think the ticket seller at the Granada just was bored and didn't care that we were underage. So we saw Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, which was a thrill for 12 year old me.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

When I was 14 my brother and I snuck into "Aliens" which to this day remains one of my favorite movies. I don't remember the movie we paid for, but I know we watched it because I remember that our sneaking was more about watching a second movie for free than getting into an R-rated flick. Man, did we get our money's worth that day.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 pm

It's not sneaking in, but when I was about 6 or 7, my parents went out with my aunt and uncle, leaving me with my cousins (one my age, one old enough to "watch us" and host a card party for his friends). We "snuck" The Exorcist on the TV. I was seriously traumatized that night and distinctly remember barfing on my Curious George stuffed animal, which my older cousin had to clean up. Serves him right.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 pm

"Major League" starring Mr. Charlie Sheen - I was a very savvy 8 years old at the time.

A few years later, I went to Major League II and felt very, very ripped off.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Right Bower wrote:It's not sneaking in, but when I was about 6 or 7, my parents went out with my aunt and uncle, leaving me with my cousins (one my age, one old enough to "watch us" and host a card party for his friends). We "snuck" The Exorcist on the TV. I was seriously traumatized that night and distinctly remember barfing on my Curious George stuffed animal, which my older cousin had to clean up. Serves him right.

I definitely did some TV sneaking as a lad. I recall being very interested in a Men of Chippendales special on pay cable late one night in the early 1980s. Some years later, I came out as a gay man. To this day a bow tie makes me melt.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Our theater was staffed entirely by friends from school. No need to sneak into any of them.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue May 22, 2012 3:35 pm

We snuck into several R-rated movies back in 1999. Which was weird because my friends and I just walked into R-rated movies before then, we bought tickets to The Matrix with no hassle. Then Columbine happened two weeks later and suddenly security towards teenagers was ramped up across the board. People in this country believed that a teen seeing American Pie was going to mold them into a cold-blooded killer. I'm pretty sure I paid to see Wild Wild West 3 times only to walk into the theatre playing South Park instead. I paid to see The Iron Giant and went to Blair Witch Project, in retrospect, I wish I had seen The Iron Giant.

Even as an experienced theatre infiltrator and a young Kubrick fan, sneaking into Eyes Wide Shut was outside my grasp. They had ushers outside of the theatre playing the film so a friend and I had to get my mom to accompany us to the theatre so we could finally see the film. That was an awkward experience.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Movies