MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby bdog » Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
bdog wrote:C'mon Henry you can do better than that. you don't have to be an asshole all the time you know. Or maybe you do.

Speak your mind on the issue at hand. Do you go around armed, or are you just another soft target (like D-Man calls me)?

I do not carry. But I wouldn't argue that everyone that does is some sort of a sissy either. I would argue to D-man that carrying is likely to cause a lot of people to skip their other options such as running away and go straight for the holster.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Did I call you a soft target?

Yes, in a now dormant gun discussion.

Dangerousman wrote:You are smart for not carrying one. You know your limits.

Got my first rifle from my dad (WWII vet) at ten. A Remington bolt action 22. Still have it. Belonged to the Junior NRA as a teen. Kinda like Eddie Eagle on steroids. Squeezed off thousands of round at the high school indoor firing range (back in the 60s). Expert marksman. Later, four years in the military during wartime.

And yes, I know my limits. You?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19153
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gun thread

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am

...carrying is likely to cause a lot of people to skip their other options such as running away and go straight for the holster.


Which is exactly the point of "stand your ground" legislation: less use of other options such as running away, and more shooting. Surely the best thing for American society, as we can see from the peaceful land of Florida where blacks and whites today live in greater harmony than ever before.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10928
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 pm

If the NRA spent their money on this instead of lying about Democrats every election cycle, they'd become a credible and respected organization...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 54963776/1
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 17, 2012 1:04 am

Henry Vilas wrote:And yes, I know my limits. You?


Yes. Fifteen is my limit on Schnitzengruben.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 17, 2012 1:07 am

bdog wrote:I would argue to D-man that carrying is likely to cause a lot of people to skip their other options such as running away and go straight for the holster.


Argue it then. Show your evidence.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 17, 2012 1:13 am

jonnygothispen wrote:If the NRA spent their money on this instead of lying about Democrats every election cycle, they'd become a credible and respected organization...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 54963776/1


And better yet, maybe WAVE (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort) and the Brady Campaign would be credible and respected organizations if they ever showed the slightest shred of interest in stopping "gun violence" where the great majority of it occurs: gangs and drug-related crimes. They're not against violence, they're only against guns, particularly against guns in hands of non-criminals since that is where they put their entire effort.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby bdog » Thu May 17, 2012 4:46 am

Dangerousman wrote:
bdog wrote:I would argue to D-man that carrying is likely to cause a lot of people to skip their other options such as running away and go straight for the holster.


Argue it then. Show your evidence.

No evidence, just a little understanding of human nature. You claim you would draw your "hope and prayer" before you draw your gun. Uh, why? Wouldn't you just shoot the fucker?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 am

bdog wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
bdog wrote:I would argue to D-man that carrying is likely to cause a lot of people to skip their other options such as running away and go straight for the holster.


Argue it then. Show your evidence.

No evidence, just a little understanding of human nature. You claim you would draw your "hope and prayer" before you draw your gun. Uh, why? Wouldn't you just shoot the fucker?


I suggest that you strive for more than just "a little understanding of human nature." Because you apparently are unable to understand differences between criminal mentality and the mentality of most decent human beings. Perhaps you doubt your own ability to make good decisions while carrying a gun. Then by all means, do not carry one.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby bdog » Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm

You didn't address my question so i'll ask again - do you really think you'd go through hope and prayer before you shot the fucker?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 17, 2012 11:34 pm

bdog wrote:You didn't address my question so i'll ask again - do you really think you'd go through hope and prayer before you shot the fucker?


Personally, I'd go through hope, not prayer. Prayer isn't on my list of options because I don't have expectations of divine intervention on my behalf.

But, I would hope that I wouldn't have to resort to shooting and causing catastrophic damage or death to a fellow human being.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Putting this in here because it is THE GUN THREAD.

Anyone see all the dudes marching around and in the capitol with rifles today? What was that all about?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Putting this in here because it is THE GUN THREAD.

Anyone see all the dudes marching around and in the capitol with rifles today? What was that all about?


What kind of dudes? Boogaloo dudes carry the news?

The annual police memorial observance is being held today at noon, so I would suspect it's an honor guard related to that.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 pm

The NRA is now running anti-Barrett TV ads claiming that he will take away our guns. How can a governor, under the Wisconsin Constitution, do that? Just another false scare tactic.

Maybe D-Man can tell us how.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19153
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Sat May 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The NRA is now running anti-Barrett TV ads claiming that he will take away our guns. How can a governor, under the Wisconsin Constitution, do that? Just another false scare tactic.

Maybe D-Man can tell us how.


I don't know, Henry. I haven't seen the ads, so I can't comment on what they say. I tried to find the ad on line and wasn't able to scrounge it up. Does it say he "will" take away or guns, or "would" (as in "would like to if he could")?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar