MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 12, 2012 8:04 pm

When Florida's stand your ground law was passed, the supporters touted how women can now defend themselves from abusive partners.

Saying he had no discretion under state law, a judge sentenced a Jacksonville, Florida, woman to 20 years in prison Friday for firing a warning shot in an effort to scare off her abusive husband.

CNN
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Sun May 13, 2012 6:28 pm

On the up-side she'll be safe from that abusive husband. It's a shame nobody taught her that there's no such thing as a "warning shot" unless you miss center mass or the head. It's the way I was taught and the rules are simple: only pull the weapon if you intend to pull the trigger and only pull the trigger when you're sure the round will hit the target. It applies to hunting, home defense, self defense and war. Well, war's a bit different, but not much.

Henry Vilas wrote:When Florida's stand your ground law was passed, the supporters touted how women can now defend themselves from abusive partners.

Saying he had no discretion under state law, a judge sentenced a Jacksonville, Florida, woman to 20 years in prison Friday for firing a warning shot in an effort to scare off her abusive husband.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 14, 2012 4:16 pm

This ought to get the gun nuts up in arms (pun intended):
Local governments can ban weapons at polls, GAB attorney says

The DOJ has the final say, so Van Hollen needs to speak up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This ought to get the gun nuts up in arms (pun intended)

Probably not. It is likely to be a moot issue in the vast majority of polling places. Polling places tend to be in municipal buildings or schools, and most municipalities have already decided whether they wish to allow guns or not, and I doubt those that allow them are going to make an exception for elections, and schools are already off-limits to guns under most circumstances, so nothing really changing there either. A few polling places are in private businesses or churches, which have always had the option of banning anything they wish from being brought inside. So the only issue would whether a few private places could be forced to ban against their wishes.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 pm

D-Man, know of any churches that would object to forbidding guns on their premises?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:D-Man, know of any churches that would object to forbidding guns on their premises?

I know of churches that forbid guns and others that have no objection to them. It's really no different than the public at large.

A couple days ago on another forum a minister said he didn't know if anyone was carrying in his church, but he hoped someone was because with the vestments he wore it would take him a long time to get to his gun. I suggested an ankle holster.

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod there was resistance by some churches to installing them. They put their faith in God's protection. Needless to say, as the tallest structure in many towns, churches were frequently struck and burned down or bell ringers killed. Some preachers aren't going to repeat that sort of mistake and think that churches are, somehow, sanctuaries divinely protected from violent crime. There have been a sufficient number of murders in churches to demonstrate the point. We don't have to look far. Father Kunz was stabbed to death in the hallway of a church near Lodi 14 years ago and 7 members of the "Living Church of God" were shot dead in Brookfield in 2005.

It is nice to think that churches are magical violence-free places, but it's not realistic.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 5:09 pm

It must be scary for you to go to places than forbid firearms. Bet you feel naked.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It must be scary for you to go to places than forbid firearms. Bet you feel naked.

Scary? Not at all. Naked? No... just a couple of pounds lighter. I'm not helpless without a gun, but like anyone I would have fewer options available if things went very badly. Your mind is your primary weapon, a gun is your weapon of last resort. I just prefer my list of options to be a long one. I don't fear criminals any more or any less than you do. It's not a matter of fear, it's simple mathematics. My list of options is longer. I'd rather have the last item on my list of options to read "gun and a fighting chance" rather than "hope and a prayer." When your list of options has run out, I still have some. When you've drawn your hope and prayer, you've got nothing left. After I've drawn my hope and prayer, I could still draw my gun.

And if a criminal or psycho wanted to try to take my life or the life of someone I cared about, then I prefer to retain some say in the matter and not leave it up entirely to the good will of a criminal or a candidate for the looney bin. Let's be honest, they're not famous for being the "good will" kind of people.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 5:44 pm

So you sometimes do leave your castle without being strapped. How brave of you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue May 15, 2012 6:12 pm

C'mon Henry you can do better than that. you don't have to be an asshole all the time you know. Or maybe you do.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So you sometimes do leave your castle without being strapped. How brave of you.

So are you calling yourself brave Henry?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 6:16 pm

bdog wrote:C'mon Henry you can do better than that. you don't have to be an asshole all the time you know. Or maybe you do.

Speak your mind on the issue at hand. Do you go around armed, or are you just another soft target (like D-Man calls me)?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 6:26 pm

bdog wrote:C'mon Henry you can do better than that. you don't have to be an asshole all the time you know. Or maybe you do.

Go easy on him. I presented a clear and well-argued explanation why I carry a gun. How else would you expect him to respond when he's got nothing?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:So you sometimes do leave your castle without being strapped. How brave of you.

No. But when you called me a "soft target", were you saying I am stupid?

Just wondering.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue May 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

No. But when you called me a "soft target", were you saying I am stupid?

Just wondering.

Did I call you a soft target? You mean the joke about the little blue pills? :wink:

No, nobody is stupid for not carrying a gun. I've never said that they're a good choice for everyone. You are smart for not carrying one. You know your limits.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines