MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter rates

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Charter rates

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 am

Donald wrote:I generally get the bundled service with Charter or another service. I figured out Charter is pretty easy to negotiate with, if you do it right and you get an experienced customer service rep.

Charter will definitely give customers good deals if they're willing to research, haggle, follow up, and then do it all over again year after year. But it's a maddening, cynical way to do business for what is basically a utility company. It wastes people's time and, I imagine, penalizes less savvy consumers.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:31 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:
Donald wrote:I generally get the bundled service with Charter or another service. I figured out Charter is pretty easy to negotiate with, if you do it right and you get an experienced customer service rep.

Charter will definitely give you good deals if you're willing to research, haggle, follow up, and then do it all over again year after year. But it's a maddening way to do business for what is basically a utility company. It wastes people's time and penalizes less savvy customers.

This is what I've resigned to doing. It sucks.

AT&T was a nightmare for me. I bought the $100 modem from u-verse which promptly died 4 months later. After over two hours on the phone with their "tech support," repeatedly telling them the modem took a shit, they finally sent a tech to the house. His response was, "yeah, this model of modem they sent you is junk. I have a couple better ones in my van." He swapped it out and we were back up and running for another 6 months. We then got the notification of the price increase and it was substantial --I think the bill was going from $19.99 to $39.99 /mo for our 6mb/s internet. I called and did the haggling game and decided with wasn't worth it. Then came the fun of trying to cancel --I don't know how many of you have experienced this yet, but U-verse is completely separate from other AT&T services even though they come on the same bill. Long story longer, we almost had to eat a cancellation fee, I got a commitment to have that waived but was charged for two months after I canceled for U-verse services that we no longer had. It was another month after that (with many phone calls in between) before we received a refund check. Like I said before, fuckers.

Charter is garbage too, just cheaper garbage. I bought a motorola modem that is on their list of supported equipment for 49.99 on amazon --it works really well btw. Once that was done I had a little trouble with the tech they sent out because all he did was a line test before he left --which resulted in another phone call to charter, a little bit of bitching and I was able to get the install fees waived. Since then its so far so good for $19.99 /mo for the service we have. I was mistaken earlier but what we have is 15mb/s service. Its enough to run our Roku for Hulu, Netflix, and a few other internet channels I like, and still be able to surf the web while I'm watching tv.

However my calendar is marked for Dec 3rd, which is a month before our promotional period ends and the circlejerk of life with Charter will continure.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Refugee IL » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Charter is garbage too, just cheaper garbage. I bought a motorola modem that is on their list of supported equipment for 49.99 on amazon --it works really well btw. Once that was done I had a little trouble with the tech they sent out because all he did was a line test before he left --which resulted in another phone call to charter, a little bit of bitching and I was able to get the install fees waived. Since then its so far so good for $19.99 /mo for the service we have. I was mistaken earlier but what we have is 15mb/s service. Its enough to run our Roku for Hulu, Netflix, and a few other internet channels I like, and still be able to surf the web while I'm watching tv.

Consider yourself lucky. Charter is the only ISP I've had that absolutely refused to provision a cable modem unless there's a tech on site. Compare that to Comcast, with an online provisioning menu, no tech visit at all!

Have you done an independent Internet speed test on your cable modem? I found that no matter what speed they claimed I had, the most I could get was 8Mbps, and often more like 6. With DSL I get a steady >10Mbps down, >1Mbps up and no port blocking. I can watch a Netflix stream while downloading another show from Amazon and browse the web no problem.

I started off with their triple play, but their VoIP box was crap compared to Vonage (and so was the price), the Internet couldn't meed advertised rates, and the clincher--they don't actually do HD. They had excuses galore, from "it's the accounting system" to "we don't get any requests for it".

Now I'm getting beautiful HD via satellite and the local TV stations, better, more reliable Internet with a real POTS backup line and VoIP for half of what I paid Charter for their introductory rate.
Refugee IL

Postby lysander » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I think the published rates disappeared around the time that the state prohibited municipalities from regulating cable providers.

The great thing about keeping people in the dark about the rates is that you can soak people who have automatic checking deduction for their bills. Lots and lots of people don't think too much about it. It might be months after that promo ends that the poor sap decides to take the time to call some 3rd world shithole call center. Easy money.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Refugee IL » Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 am

Oh, God do I hate businesses that expect me to entrust them with the key to all my money! WAAAAAAAY to big a security risk, no matter who you trust.

Between mandatory automatic payments and customer websites that not-so-mysteriously "forget" your login information every time you try to use them, they put all of the burden on the customer, and try hard to make that burden too time-consuming to bother with.

For those of for which time is money, and the meter's always running, I put balky utility companies ant any other "time thief" businesses into mt CRM system and send them monthly bills for my billable hours spent troubleshooting their time-wasting interfaces. Every unnecessary phone call is 2x$100/hr., 1hr. minimum. (My base rate is $100/hr. but I charge double-time for work without a prior appointment.)

Contracts are a 2-way street. At some point the consumer needs to empower his or herself and place the same kind of dollar value on free time as is put on work time. They charge you billable hours when they send people out to fix their broken systems, so why shouldn't you do the same? Time is the only natural resource that can't be replenished at any cost. Isn't it about time we stopped giving away our precious personal hours to big businesses that take it for granted?
Refugee IL

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:26 pm

If and when they reach an agreement, Charter might use this as an excuse to raise their rates again.

Contract talks could interrupt WISC-TV for Charter customers

The contract expires at the end of the year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Refugee IL wrote:Oh, God do I hate businesses that expect me to entrust them with the key to all my money! WAAAAAAAY to big a security risk, no matter who you trust.

Contracts are a 2-way street. At some point the consumer needs to empower his or herself and place the same kind of dollar value on free time as is put on work time. They charge you billable hours when they send people out to fix their broken systems, so why shouldn't you do the same? Time is the only natural resource that can't be replenished at any cost. Isn't it about time we stopped giving away our precious personal hours to big businesses that take it for granted?

Good points. I hate cable companies, also.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV