MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Double albums that earn their girth

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Double albums that earn their girth

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:I'm talking stuff specifically aimed at politics, protest songs, etc. The more specific the song's topic, the more dated and ultimately useless it becomes in my mind.
And yet I've know you to sing the praises of the dreadful "Eve Of Destruction", so clearly you make exceptions. Heck, you even make exceptions when performing, considering the topicality of "You're Not A Fucking Vampire", for example. I'm not knocking you, mind you, just pointing out that none of us have set-in-stone rules when it comes to personal taste.

"Eve Of Destruction" is just so corny that I kind of like it. Plus it's topic is wide-ranging, which helps a lot. Much like "Revolution" by The Beatles.

"You're Not A Fucking Vampire" is more about the futility and destructively transitive nature of fads; which is an enduring topic. Also, I get a drum solo on it.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:I'm talking stuff specifically aimed at politics, protest songs, etc. The more specific the song's topic, the more dated and ultimately useless it becomes in my mind.
Heck, you even make exceptions when performing, considering the topicality of "You're Not A Fucking Vampire", for example.

Kyle cannot be held responsible for songs written by Schabow.

Perhaps I should change my message about the Clash to "The Clash is the most overrated band ever, with the suckiest fans"
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Did you just call me "suckiest" you fucking vampire?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure you've never harangued me endlessly about how incredibly fabulous and godlike the Clash are -- even Cut the Crap -- so, no.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 pm

God-like, no. And Cut The Crap? God no.

But I will say I like the Sandy Perlman produced Give 'Em Enough Rope probably the best or at least I listen to it more than the others.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Walter wrote:But I will say I like the Sandy Perlman produced Give 'Em Enough Rope probably the best or at least I listen to it more than the others.

Meh - not enough cowbell.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Bongwater's Double Bummer

Does anybody else still listen to Bongwater? Cuz everyone should.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 pm

I can see casual listeners who fail to appreciate The Clash but I can't imagine musicians not appreciating their genius, particularly London Calling.

I'm also not always sure what albums are double albums because I grew up in the era of cassettes followed by CD's. I guess I can just go by albums with more than 15 songs or so.

Here's my list which is sure to date me as a child of the 80's:

The Clash- London Calling
The Minutemen- Double Nickles on the Dime
The Smiths- Louder than Bombs
The Cure- Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Frank Black- Teenager of the Year
New Order- Substance

Yeah, Louder than Bombs was technically a singles compilation, but not really a greatest hits so I think of it as a single album. And no, I don't really think of Substance as a greatest hits album even if it kind of qualifies.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat May 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Hotels, Motels & Roadshows, a smokin' double live album featuring the best of the late 70s southern bands: The Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, The CDB, Wet Willie, et al.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scott3362 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
I know this is irrelevant and I've posted it before, but easily my favorite Christgau quote is his single-line review of Adrian Belew's entire solo career: "A welcome addition to other people's records." I've applied that observation to many others over the years.

I like to quote Christgau's 1989 review of Twice Shy by Great White:

"The Ian Hunter-penned hit puts their artistic achievement in perspective--closest they come to a detail like 'And the heater don't work' is 'Hiway lights/Freeway sights,' closest they come to a metaphor like 'Before he got his hands/Across your state line' is 'Let the small head rock her.' No smaller than the one on your shoulders, dude."

See also his pan of Shout at the Devil by Motley Crue,
and, via WFMU, The Ultimate Negative Christgau Review.
scott3362

Previous

Return to General Music