MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:18 pm

As a follow up to my last post, here is the Florida state attorney's response:

State Attorney Norm Wolfinger "outraged" by federal review request
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Another day, more twists:

New George Zimmerman Video Shows Injury to Back of His Head

Enhanced video footage of George Zimmerman being taken into custody less than 30 minutes after he shot and killed Florida teen Trayvon Martin shows the neighborhood watch captain with an injury to the back of his head.

The never-before-seen evidence of an injury to Zimmerman, in this case a gash or mark to his head, would appear to back his claim that he shot Martin in self defense after he was attacked by Martin on the night of Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla.

Zimmerman, 28, claims Martin, 17, punched him in the nose, knocked him down and repeatedly slammed his head into the ground.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 pm

And as pointed out in the article, no sign of a broken nose and no blood on his shirt.

He's got a long, long row to hoe.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Meanwhile, the LSM is working overtime to ignite a race war:

NBC Shielding Producer Responsible for Edited George Zimmerman 911 Call

"After it became known that NBC News selectively edited a 911 call from Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman, the network delivered a vague apology and promised it wouldn't happen again. Now, Reuters reports that a "seasoned" producer is to blame, but sources at NBC refused to name the person, and said NBC will not be firing the responsible party. The network continues to decline further comment on their internal investigation.

Zimmerman, according to the tape aired on Today, said to the dispatcher about Martin, "This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black." In actuality, he was asked by the 911 operator, "OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?" but that part was edited out."

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/04/ge ... ml?mid=rss
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I agree that whoever was responsible for or even knew about the selective editing in the NBC flap needs to lose their jobs. If something like this was on FoxNews or talk radio I'd chalk it up to a culture of dishonesty, but for employees of one of the major networks to pull a stunt like this is pretty much beyond suspensions and such.

On a side note, Limbaugh spent a lot of time today talking about the NBC scandal, which isn't at all surprising given his long standing war with the "LSM." What was kind of odd is that whenever he referred to the doctored clip, he called it the "nine eleven call." Maybe its a regional thing, but generally I think of emergency calls as "nine one one calls" and "nine eleven" pertains to terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. It seems like kind of a clever psychological ploy, given that "doctoring nine eleven calls" sounds far more sinister than "doctoring nine one one calls" even if they mean the same thing.

Am I reading too much into that?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Probably not, but thinking about it I realize I always say nine eleven for no other reason than it's a nine and then an eleven. Maybe I should change it.

When they first started the 911 consolidated emergency number system, they called it nine eleven. (This was way before the World Trade Center thing obviously.) Then someone realized nine-eleven was confusing to children and to upset people in emergencies. (Where's the eleven on my phone?) After that the official wording became nine one one.

So maybe Rush is just being an old fart. Somehow I doubt it, though.

I agree the editor at NBC ought to lose their job or face some other major sanction. THAT, to me, wasn't just sloppy editing or being an old fart. It was right up there with misleadingly altered photos: totally unacceptable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 am

pjbogart wrote:I agree that whoever was responsible for or even knew about the selective editing in the NBC flap needs to lose their jobs.

OK:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/eri ... _blog.html

They clearly screwed up.

Maybe if the Sanford police had been doing their job we wouldn't have all these speculative, sensationalist stories.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 pm

rabble wrote:And as pointed out in the article, no sign of a broken nose and no blood on his shirt.

Playing baseball just a couple hours ago and took a line drive grounder that popped up and off my glove right into the schnoz. Instantly felt the blood on my upper lip, leaned forward just a tad for a bit and then ultimately tipped my head back until it stopped.

Not broken, but still hurts like hell.

Not a single drop of blood on the gray Hanes t-shirt I was wearing.

Just sayin'.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Zimmerman also claimed to be wrestling on the ground with that bloody nose. That's a totally different scenario.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Zimmerman also claimed to be wrestling on the ground with that bloody nose. That's a totally difference scenario.

Agreed.

Well, unless he was on his back for the most part.

As I've stated, I don't know what happened.

But I did find it interesting that my shirt was sans blood after that pop. In hindsight, I realize I was purposely keeping the blood off of it despite it being an old tshirt that is SUPPOSED to get dirty.

Anyway, who thinks Zimmerman's gonna walk and who thinks he's toast?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Too much evidence was never collected. That loss would make a conviction difficult. Zimmerman was not tested for drugs/alcohol and he was released without his clothes being held for evidence (gun powder residue/ blood splatter/ grass stains/DNA, etc.) That sloppy work (by someone's orders in the Florida criminal justice system) probably tanks the case. It leaves room for probable doubt.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Too much evidence was never collected. That loss would make a conviction difficult. Zimmerman was not tested for drugs/alcohol and he was released without his clothes being held for evidence (gun powder residue/ blood splatter/ grass stains/DNA, etc.) That sloppy work (by someone's orders in the Florida criminal justice system) probably tanks the case. It leaves room for probable doubt.

Am I missing something? He admits to shooting him - what would "(gun powder residue/ blood splatter/ grass stains/DNA, etc.)" prove? I guess I can kinda see where you are going with the grass stains bit, if your your question is "where are they"? But then again, lack of grass stains does not prove anything (you can roll around in the grass without getting stains) but for everything else (gun powder residue/ blood splatter/ /DNA, etc.) whats the point? Do you think they wont be there?
Also, link please on the "someone's orders in the Florida criminal justice system" - I must have missed that info.

Almost forgot - You are right on about the lack of drug/alcohol testing, inexcusable - but not a case killer I think.
bcs89

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 am

Blood splatter on Zimmerman from Martin, for instance, would show how close the two were when the shot (shots?) were fired. You might not think that is important, but evidence such as that can prove or disprove what Zimmerman claimed happened.

Why do you think such evidence is normally collected in a homicide investigation?

It was widely reported that the lead investigator wanted to arrest Zimmerman, but he was overruled by an unidentified higher up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Blood splatter on Zimmerman from Martin, for instance, would show how close the two were when the shot (shots?) were fired. You might not think that is important, but evidence such as that can prove or disprove what Zimmerman claimed happened.

Why do you think such evidence is normally collected in a homicide investigation?

It was widely reported that the lead investigator wanted to arrest Zimmerman, but he was overruled by an unidentified higher up.

OK, first things first "Blood splatter on Zimmerman from Martin, for instance, would show how close the two were when the shot (shots?) were fired" while I imagine you are correct here, I also think that having the actual dead body of the victim trumps the the need for the "shirt splatter" evidence. I just think they can tell more about the proximity/angle from the deceased than from the clothes of the shooter. Having said that, yes, they should have taken his clothes for examination (in my opinion - it's just not a case maker/breaker).

Next "show how close the two were when the shot (shots?) were fired" on what are you basing this query? A gut feeling? I've seen no evidence at all of more than one shot being fired. What is this based on?

So far as your "unidentified higher up" the link you provide clearly states the "unidentified" person as a member of state Attorney's Office - granted, they do not give a name, but it is not like some nameless/faceless power broker put the kibosh on charges. Someone from the State's attorney's office looked at the evidence on hand and made a judgement call - this was not some shadowy figure. I admit my law degree comes from watching Law and Order on TV, but, that being said - isn't that what State Attorneys do? Tell cops that even though their "Gut" tells them the guy is guilty, they need actual proof to press charges?

What actually happened that night I don't know. What is becoming more clear each day is that myself and others opinions/views have been manipulated from the the start - be it the photos used to depict the two people, to editing the 911 call to make it sound a certain way, even so far as to call a man "White Hispanic" after it was pointed out that "White" may not be accurate. Has anyone her ever heard the term "White Hispanic" before?

I'm not saying the guy is innocent, just that we are all being fed a story - and maybe we should step back, and wait for the facts before we start playing judge/jury/executioner.
bcs89

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Why are you minimizing the failure to collect evidence that is normally collected in every other homicide case?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines