MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sunset tenney park
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

How to improve TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: How to improve TDPF

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:00 pm

What do you feel when you see people you disagree with being treated that same way - especially people who don't use a pseudonym as protection from suffering defamation of their real life reputations?

They might try using a pseudonym.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:10 pm

While public figures have a greater burden of proof (than run of the mill individuals) needed to persue libel/slander allegations, it can still happen. Thus the Daisy/Powell affair. I don't know if Meade or Konkel think they have a case. One is married to an attorney and the other is a law school grad, so they should know the law and their chances of prevailing in court. I suspect they will refrain.

Concerning the woman slandered by Limbaugh, that's another story. I wonder if she will sue.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: Concerning the woman slandered by Limbaugh, that's another story. I wonder if she will sue.

I am little defensive of Limbaugh. He was being an asshole, much like Howard Stern, but did he actually say anything false about the woman? He made the tenuous but logical connection between free birth control and the government paying someone to have sex. Therefore, the woman is a whore. Most or all recongize this as a political statement and name-calling.

Now, if Limbaugh had said the woman is a working prositute, that would be a clear falsehood.

What Limbaugh did was disgraceful, but a free society allows loudmouths to be disgraceful.

I'm troubled by talk of FCC action to take him off the air.

I say more Limbaugh! Much more. I hope he gets a prime time speaking spot at the Republican National Convention. Let a thousand flowers (and weeds) bloom!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Limbaugh defamed the woman by calling her a slut and a prostitute. If he is sued for slander, then his only defense is to prove those aspersions true. The burden of proof is upon him.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I wish the conservatives on the forum could contribute to other threads than politics. I doubt many are reading this because it doesn't further the flame wars. Ned actually does and I'll give him some credit for that. Despite our differences we all have good ideas to share. The suit donation thread is a good example. It doesn't always have to be political.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

How to improve TDPF?

Does it need improving?

I found this place and I am learning.

Thanks
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:15 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Limbaugh defamed the woman by calling her a slut and a prostitute.

Aren't you listening? If she didn't want that to happen then she should have used a pseudonym.

Then it would have been all okay, right?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Aren't you listening? If she didn't want that to happen then she should have used a pseudonym.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? That's just idiotic.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Peanutbutter wrote:Aren't you listening? If she didn't want that to happen then she should have used a pseudonym.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? That's just idiotic.

Point taken, but don't you be talking smack like that to Meade, okay?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:They might try using a pseudonym.

Ducatista wants to know what is wrong with you because that's just idiotic.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Here's my idea: Let's make Wednesday a clean and nice day on Forum. If anyone posts anything offensive tomorrow, I'll delete the comment and ban the user. No warnings, no tolerance, no argument.

Good?

Good.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Meade wrote:

Wow. Thanks, bdog. I missed that.

Jason? snoqueen? Brenda?

Anyone?

Yeah. Wow is right. Didn't see that. I deleted it and banned the user who produced it. I should also ban all those who re-produced it, don't you think?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
snoqueen wrote:They might try using a pseudonym.

Ducatista wants to know what is wrong with you because that's just idiotic.

Sno and meade were on topic. You jumped the online pseudonym shark into real-world testimony before a congressional committee. It was a lazy, Ned-level non-zinger. Feh.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:50 pm

jjoyce wrote:I should also ban all those who re-produced it, don't you think?

Is that snark? I'm not sure. Aimed at the two people - bdog and me - who re-produced it, as you say? If it is a serious question, Jason, I would say, you, as administrator, need to make your rules clear and then administer them consistently and evenly with regard to all members of your forum. If it was not a serious question, I would say, just ignore what I said.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:14 pm

If you're going to hold me responsible for offensive content (insisting that not condemning it means condoning it), when I have produced none of it, then you need to take responsibility for your own role in the situation.

Retweeting implies agreement, to invoke a saying from another part of the web. If you think there should be less offensive language on this board, then what the hell are you doing re-posting it? A link would have worked just as well.

But instead, you made the decision to reproduce it. I see what you're doing there, but if you want the boards to be less offensive, then maybe you should pitch in on the cleanup. I operate under the assumption that most people want to participate in a lively, somewhat politically incorrect conversation, like they'd find at the neighborhood tavern. But it's becoming increasingly clear that there's a small group of people who don't like the board, don't like the people who participate here regularly, don't like Madison, don't like liberals. Apparently, they just can't help themselves from logging on constantly, however, and making sure we all know about their dislike. There's no winning with them. It's impossible to build a board they like and even if you could, you'd abandon all the decent posters.

I'm also aware that there are a number of people who don't have much on their plates who like to pick fights here. I have no problem until that tone starts to take over the board. These folks have big issues with profanity. They often don't have much of an issue with regurgitating hackneyed talking points or presenting their unoriginal ideas ad nauseum or berating others over their politics and lifestyles, however (and a lot of them do it anonymously, for those of you lobbying for an end to that). There's no winning with these people, either. I think they're bored and angry most of the time.

That's the problem with rules. It's hard to write them to keep the true a-holes in check. The board is best when people who are neither bored nor angry dominate. These folks tend to work in kitchens, play in rock bands, ride mountain bikes, play pond hockey, throw pots, smoke pot, drive cab, listen to punk rock, listen to classical music, drink cheap beer, drink expensive beer, write bad poems, hate Brett Favre, hate Rick Santorum, hate Facebook, hate email, love standing around talking shit. A lot of those people like to use colorful language and a lot of people who object to that are hypocrites and/or not very interesting.

This is why the best Forons don't limit their activities to the hot-button political threads. They might sound off there, but they'll also chime in when it comes to handyman recommendations or road construction or lake odor or drinks or grilling tips.

We've tried writing rules before. All that leads to is people working to exploit loopholes, which leads to needing more rules which then leads to arguing about rules. The government that governs least governs best, right? You can never keep up with the people intent on breaking rules.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com