MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Rickert on new urbanism

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Rickert on new urbanism

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 pm

jjoyce wrote:What if zoning for a small grocery didn't just get buyers interested, but made it possible for the thing to be approved?

Seems like a nice business strategy: Promise one thing up front, then pull back a few years later.
Indeed, what if? This all seems like an issue to be settled between the homeowners/residents and the developer. If the small grocery was promised on paper, or in a contract, then that's what should happen. If the contract is broken, there should be a lawsuit and damages paid. If no such contract exists, then this is a simple property rights issue and the developer should do whatever they think is in their best interest, with their maintained reputation in mind.

Rickert's commentary is stupid, so points for jjoyce for getting the piñata swinging.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:03 am

fennel wrote:Aside number two: I'm not a longtime Madison resident, so I wonder if this bozo, Rickert, was always so patently a stooge or whether he has any vestigial record of journalistic integrity.

I mean, WSJ wasn't always such a mouthpiece for moneyed interests, was it?

To answer your first question, probably--but Rickert is a recent transplant from Illinois, so part of the problem is he has no knowledge of the history or context of the stories he writes about, and apparently it doesn't occur to him to look for that knowledge before he writes.

To answer your second question, no, the State Journal began as an ally of the original Republican party--you know, anti-slavery, anti-monopoly, that sort of thing. They flirted with LaFollette and the Progressive party in the early 20th century, but broke with him over his pacifism prior to the US entering WWI, sided with the war industrialists, and never looked back. So no, they have only been a mouthpiece for moneyed interests for roughly 100 years.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:04 am

jjoyce wrote:Grandview Commons is sort of a new urbanist development

Ned Flanders wrote:And he kinda has a point.

It just got kinda sort of harder for the developer:

Neighbors file petition with City Clerk's office
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 am

Good groundwork by the neighborhood.

This is a great example of why the right to petition in this way is so valuable. Sometimes the petitioners are being stubborn fools, and sometimes they're fighting a developer's bait-and-switch depending on how you see the issue. But to shortcut, condense, or change the committee-based development process Madison has now would be a big loss for individual property owners.

I would very much like to hear the reasoning of Cnare (who's usually reasonable) and others who are willing to throw overboard the unfortunate people who bought into this development thinking they'd have a nice, quiet "new urban" place to live and are now seeing their view turned into Aldi's parking lot. It was not what they paid for.

...Rickert is a recent transplant from Illinois...

What is it with these People from Illinois? They get blamed for everything these days.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

snoqueen wrote:What is it with these People from Illinois? They get blamed for everything these days.

I jes' call's 'em as I see's 'em, Ma'am.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think what he's saying is that this development is the Disney version of an urban environment, so deal with it suckers.

I sympathize with the homeowners, but I agree with the Disney description of this and many other attempts at New (sub)Urbanism.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I think what he's saying is that this development is the Disney version of an urban environment, so deal with it suckers.

I sympathize with the homeowners, but I agree with the Disney description of this and many other attempts at New (sub)Urbanism.

I absolutely agree. The attempts I have seen--including the old Greenbelt developments, like Greendale on MKE's south side--are just suburbs with a stripmall functioning as a faux downtown. The one in Middleton is a bit better done than some, but it's still out in the middle of nowhere, unlike real urban spaces.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a bit of a vested interest in this issue; my wife and I bought a home in Grandview Commons last summer and our backyard bucks up against the proposed ocean of parking space that accompanies the recent revised proposal. I would have loved to stay in my old school downtown house with a tricked out soundproof garage, but getting married and having a 1 year old sometimes changes the gameplan. Grandview went against everything I thought I'd want (aka a Veridian stucko house), but the feel of the neighborhood and cozy design of the houses simply makes it a great, safe place to raise a kid. There are four parks within walking distance of my front door, tons of very cool parents and kids, and a great sense of community among the neighbors.

Alder Cnare isn't going to explain herself, as she's had her feelings hurt by people attempting to defend their neighborhood. She has indicated she will not seek reelection, but still seems intent on pushing this rezoning for the grocery through as her swan song. I appreciate that most people seem to understand why the neighborhood, without our Alder, have had such a vocal opposition.

The concern other than doubling the size of the grocery is who will be the tennant, Copps.

Take a stroll behind the Copps near the airport and tell me you'd want that in your back yard. It has about as much appeal as the salad bar inside. In the wake of the Hyvee a few miles away, they seemed to have just thrown in the towel and become a low-rent chain. The idea of a company with a cloudy financial future putting a Wal-Mart sized store in the middle of a neighborhood isn't going to be welcomed. The only thing worse will be the vacant, rusting building they leave behind in a few years.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:I sympathize with the homeowners, but I agree with the Disney description of this and many other attempts at New (sub)Urbanism.

I'm still waiting for Disney's domed city of tomorrow. Maybe something for Veridian to consider in, say, Waunakee.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
Ducatista wrote:I sympathize with the homeowners, but I agree with the Disney description of this and many other attempts at New (sub)Urbanism.

I'm still waiting for Disney's domed city of tomorrow. Maybe something for Veridian to consider in, say, Waunakee.

Here's their newest venture $$$$:

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Disney's Celebration, Fla. is a New Urbanist experiment that likewise devolved into acrimony.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Whatever else there is to say about New Urbanism and its philosophy, it involves big real estate deals and big money. So little wonder that passions run high.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines