MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Interesting on so many levels.
"[Georgia] Thompson was charged by then-U.S. Attorney Steven Biskupic - who now represents Walker's campaign"

Even if Walker gets out of this without charges, this stuff is going to make some great advertising for the coming campaign.

When will we see the editorials asking "Kleefish: what did she know and when did she know it?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Don't forget the eventual disposition of the Georgia Thompson case was a judge freed her literally on the spot, having found the case against her to be totally trumped-up. She paid a high price for having done nothing wrong.

If this is the kind of lawyering Walker wants to be associated with, we need to watch very, very closely.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I think the Koch brothers should hire whoever Eric Holder has.
Admittedly it might be tough as I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg to get them off the DNC retainer.
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 pm

jasonx5 wrote:I think the Koch brothers should hire whoever Eric Holder has.
Admittedly it might be tough as I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg to get them off the DNC retainer.

Everybody connected to fast and furious, with the exception of the agents who blew the whistle, should have been shitcanned long ago.

Which wouldn't change the fact that Walker's administration is riddled with corruption. This slow motion train wreck must be difficult for you to watch.

But you can't take your eyes off it, can ya?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/138807854.html

Bice again:

1) Walker is not exactly talking to the DA "voluntarily" (as he claimed earlier). The contact was initiated by the DA. In a John Doe investigation, if they want to talk to you, you go.

2) The DA subpoenaed campaign records from Walker way back in November, a day before the election.

And the question of who's paying for all this has now been raised officially, though I think we talked about it right here a day or two ago:

[Walker] also didn't indicate how he will pay for the two defense attorneys - Michael Steinle and John Gallo - he recently hired, though he indicated he would not use tax dollars.

Politicians may set up defense funds after they have been charged with a violation of state election law. They may transfer funds from their campaign account to the defense fund if donors consent to it.

(from link)

I'm still wondering if all Walker's recent money-raising trips weren't for his defense fund as much as anything else, and I wish a fly on the wall could tell us what he told the donors. Even if you were a conservative, would you want to back someone this careless?

Note: If you read the comments to the article, check out the thumbs up/thumbs down feature. It's revealing. The unconstructive comments are there as always, but check out which ones get favorable notice. Looks a lot different when you realize how many people, even in the Milwaukee readership, dislike the nasty stuff and like the thoughtful ones.

Made me wonder if we could use such a feature here.
Last edited by snoqueen on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:05 pm

There may be more - it looks like a mystery dumpster with potentially incriminating documents has been turned over to investigators:
http://cognidissidence.blogspot.com/201 ... pster.html
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 pm

snoqueen wrote:Made me wonder if we could use such a feature here.

I could have sworn there was a delete button right there. Oh, well.

Actually I think that would be a fun one to add. We could overuse and abuse it for weeks before we tired of it.
Last edited by rabble on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm not sure if this fits under the scope of electronic surveillance laws in Wisconsin. They can only wiretap for specific things, but if it is, that would be another treasure trove of info they'd have.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Former Walker aide pleads guilty, to cooperate with DA

Darlene Wink pleaded guilty Tuesday to two misdemeanor charges of fundraising in the courthouse for then Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker's campaign for governor.

Wink, 61, worked as Walker's constituent services coordinator in the county executive's office at the time. She was charged with working on fundraising events for Walker's gubernatorial campaign in 2009 and 2010 while supposedly working her taxpayer-funded county job.
[...]
In one email exchange in 2009, she asked friend and fellow Walker aide Timothy Russell how she could erase a document from an online chat session. Russell told her it would disappear from her computer when she logged out, though investigators were able to ferret it out.

"I just am afraid of going to jail - ha! ha!" Wink wrote.

She faces a maximum of six months in jail and $1,000 fine on each of the two counts. Wink agreed to provide information to prosecutors as part of a plea deal.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/ ... 74409.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:22 pm

...you must have meant to put "many" instead of few. Or something like that.

Yep. My mixup. I won't change it now, or your posting won't make sense.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:
...you must have meant to put "many" instead of few. Or something like that.

Yep. My mixup. I won't change it now, or your posting won't make sense.

Actually sno, if your intent is to keep me from posting any nonsense, well, dot dot dot.

Go ahead and change it and I'll delete that other one.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Done. Thanks for catching that.

We all post enough nonsense around here without adding typos to the mix.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:07 pm

cloudy wrote:There may be more - it looks like a mystery dumpster with potentially incriminating documents has been turned over to investigators:
http://cognidissidence.blogspot.com/201 ... pster.html

I just had a chance to read this one now. Wow. If it's all the stuff Walker's people tried to throw away when he left office, that could be a trove indeed.

Don't forget Darlene Wink doesn't get sentenced until sometime this spring, so she has plenty of time to give the DA more info, and that long timeline for her suggests we may not see the endgame anytime soon.

And then the high-powered lawyers Walker's hired will probably keep the case knotted up for the next five years.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 am

Well. "Interesting" doesn't quite do it justice.

Wink Turned Fink - No longer Denying Walker Knew

There has also been a notable shift in the accounts that are coming from the Wink camp. Wink’s lawyer, Peter Wolff, is no longer publicly claiming that Walker had no idea what was going on at the office. This interesting change comes on the heels of Scott Walker's new found honesty in admitting that his upcoming “voluntary meeting” with prosecutors in Milwaukee County was not entirely voluntary.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 pm

This isn't directly about the John Doe, but unsurprisingly Walker shares some donors and cronies with Rod Blagojevich:

http://www.recallscottwalker.com/2012/0 ... -question/

Perhaps in time he also shares the same fate.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government