MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"It is like you were sent by God"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

"It is like you were sent by God"

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm

In the meanwhile, American citizens are being sentenced to death for "spying".

Time to scratch that itch.

American sailors have come to the rescue of distressed Iranian fishermen for the second time in less than a week, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

The United States Coast Guard cutter Monomoy "picked up six Iranian mariners after their vessel broke down" in the Persian Gulf Tuesday, the BBC reported Tuesday.

At about 3AM local time, the Coast Guard vessel "was hailed by flares and flashlights from the Iranian cargo dhow, Ya-Hussayn," the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet public affairs report said. The Iranian fishing "dhow's master requested assistance from Monomoy indicating the engine room was flooding and deemed not seaworthy."

The "Monomoy immediately launched their small boat and approached the Ya-Hussayn," the Pentagon report said. "Two persons were rescued from the vessel, and four from a life raft tied off to the dhow's stern."

The six Iranian fishermen were taken aboard the Monomoy and given water, blankets and halal meals, the Pentagon said. One Iranian sailor received medical treatment for minor burns.

"It is like you were sent by God," one of the freed Iranian fisherman, Fazel ur Rehman, told the American sailors, the New York Times' CJ Chivers reported.

Link
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "It is like you were sent by God"

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Remember_Me wrote:In the meanwhile, American citizens are being sentenced to death for "spying".

What exactly do you mean by "scratch that itch"? Are you advocating war?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm

In the meanwhile, American citizens are being sentenced to death for "spying".

Sounds like a case of a few war mongering idiots on both sides. Too bad it's guys like those and guys like us who end up paying for and dying for their itch scratching. I doubt the average Iranian wants war more than the average American (Islamophobes and Jihadists excluded).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:In the meanwhile, American citizens are being sentenced to death for "spying".

What exactly do you mean by "scratch that itch"? Are you advocating war?

Not yet.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm

It is surprising that the Iranians would sentence a US marine to death for espionage after our Navy rescued 6 of their fishermen from pirates. After all, saving a half-dozen Iranians should completely make up for overthrowing a civilian government and installing the Shah in 1925, responding to his overthrow in 1979 by instigating a war between Iran and Iraq that lasted 8 years, was conducted in good part with weapons (including poison gas) that we supplied to both sides, and finished with more than 500,000 dead on both sides, including the 300 or so on the Iranian airliner we shot down over Iranian waters and then lied about.

It's a mystery, really, why they don't love us. Maybe bombing them some more will help.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Detritus wrote:Maybe bombing them some more will help.

Bumper sticker-ready slogan.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Detritus wrote:It is surprising that the Iranians would sentence a US marine to death for espionage after our Navy rescued 6 of their fishermen from pirates. After all, saving a half-dozen Iranians should completely make up for overthrowing a civilian government and installing the Shah in 1925, responding to his overthrow in 1979 by instigating a war between Iran and Iraq that lasted 8 years, was conducted in good part with weapons (including poison gas) that we supplied to both sides, and finished with more than 500,000 dead on both sides, including the 300 or so on the Iranian airliner we shot down over Iranian waters and then lied about.
It's a mystery, really, why they don't love us. Maybe bombing them some more will help.

Wait! Don't forget the Mosaddegh overthrow in 1953 (Operation Ajax). That was our tax dollars at work, too!
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm

scratch wrote:
Detritus wrote:It is surprising that the Iranians would sentence a US marine to death for espionage after our Navy rescued 6 of their fishermen from pirates. After all, saving a half-dozen Iranians should completely make up for overthrowing a civilian government and installing the Shah in 1925, responding to his overthrow in 1979 by instigating a war between Iran and Iraq that lasted 8 years, was conducted in good part with weapons (including poison gas) that we supplied to both sides, and finished with more than 500,000 dead on both sides, including the 300 or so on the Iranian airliner we shot down over Iranian waters and then lied about.

Wait! Don't forget the Mosaddegh overthrow in 1953 (Operation Ajax). That was our tax dollars at work, too!

Oh yeah--how could I forget about that one? 1925-1979 is clearly too long a time to go by without our helpful hands.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Detritus wrote:

I know, right?

Poor Iran.

Always the victim.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:09 pm

They've had some recent problems with keeping nuke scientists alive, as well. Of course, the popular vote is pinning that one on the Israelis.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Petro wrote:They've had some recent problems with keeping nuke scientists alive, as well. Of course, the popular vote is pinning that one on the Israelis.

Same thing, really--Israel is our proxy. Or maybe it's vice-versa; I forget.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Two in one week, what are the odds?

What are the odds that the Persian Gulf routinely has a handful of distressed Iranian fishing boats floating around and we routinely ignore them until we need some good press?

The look on the Iranian sailor's face just makes me think his real statement was lost in translation. Probably more like "Thank god you like us this week."
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm

narcoleptish wrote:What are the odds that the Persian Gulf routinely has a handful of distressed Iranian fishing boats floating around and we routinely ignore them until we need some good press?

Or... that we just don't usually have such a large presence in the gulf and now that we're there we're able to help distressed mariners since that's what we do.

You really think we just routinely ignore distress calls when we have capable assets in the area because there's no "good press" in it?

Get real.

Helping innocent civilians is always good press.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The look on the Iranian sailor's face just makes me think his real statement was lost in translation. Probably more like "Thank god you like us this week."

The rescued man does look like he wonders what is going to happen next.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Madsci wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:The look on the Iranian sailor's face just makes me think his real statement was lost in translation. Probably more like "Thank god you like us this week."

The rescued man does look like he wonders what is going to happen next.

We hold a press conference and show him off on state TV.

You know...

God willing.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines