MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 am

bdog wrote:
jjoyce wrote:As a columnist, his thumb is twice as big as it ought to be due to his propensity for failing to "nail it."

True dat, but the blind squirrel found the acorn this time!

You mean Kaufman doesn't count? Why is it better to have Blaska to point at instead of him?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am

Jason, you defend letting the Squire go by pointing to an article this week by Larry Kaufman. His contribution reads as if he IS an economic consultant as claimed, not a journalist. There are so many statistics, percentages and defintions that the artcle is BORING and pretty much pointless. As another real journalist, Mark Twain, once said "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable." For $30 a week you have lost an actualy talented journalist, who if nothing else, roused the rabble and made this whole place a lot more fun. Your bad.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:18 am

jjoyce wrote:Larry Kaufman's contribution this very week

I haven't seen his blog yet. Is he reporting on the news or the arts?

I know it can't be political, since Isthmus said they are moving away from that.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 am

doppel wrote:Jason, you defend letting the Squire go by pointing to an article this week by Larry Kaufman. His contribution reads as if he IS an economic consultant as claimed, not a journalist. There are so many statistics, percentages and defintions that the artcle is BORING and pretty much pointless. As another real journalist, Mark Twain, once said "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable." For $30 a week you have lost an actualy talented journalist, who if nothing else, roused the rabble and made this whole place a lot more fun. Your bad.

I've now read the article and of course disagree with pretty much all of it, but damn. You think Blaska writes better than that? Good lord.

You're also using a really strange definition of the word "fun."

And if all Blaska was getting was a crummy thirty bucks a week, why doesn't he "resubscribe" and post his stuff for free? Or he could get his own blog and you could link to it. Wouldn't you still have fun?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I do not agree that Blaska was a talented journalist. A talented writer, yes. But journalist? C'mon. He often reported falsehoods in order to shore up his opinions, instead of reporting facts. That's a big no-no, even in the current internet environment where "bloggers" feign fact-finding for "hits".
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Writing anything in a rag is journalism, but if he is only a "writer" I can understand your opinion. Let's see how many number one "most popular articles" Larry will get credit for. It was a mistake to let Blaska go away for a lousy $30 a week. And yes, the shear volume of controversy and ranting he generated made this place a lot more fun.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:37 pm

doppel wrote: And yes, the shear volume of controversy and ranting he generated made this place a lot more fun.

I have to agree with an earlier poster who opined that you have a strange definition of "fun".

More often than not, I would abandon threads that he joined. He did a great job of dumbing down the discourse of every thread he touched. Not my idea of fun. Complete waste of time is a better description.

Kind of what arguing with Rickert would be like I suspect.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:00 pm

doppel wrote:Let's see how many number one "most popular articles" Larry will get credit for.

He got that not because he's a good writer but because he managed to piss off a lot of people. And usually the reason he did that was because he couldn't - or wouldn't - get his facts straight.

And he can still get his words out. Why the hell does he have to get thirty bucks to write something? Why are you Blaska strokers acting as though somebody had cut off his fingers?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:45 pm

doppel wrote:It was a mistake to let Blaska go away for a lousy $30 a week.

I've been thinking about this more - he wasn't let go, and the other bloggers weren't let go, for a lousy $30.

I think someone finally realized that the very soul of Isthmus had been compromised, because they had caricatures on both ends of the political spectrum spewing venom and it wasn't getting anyone anywhere.

I think we will see a resurgence of more thoughtful writing from both sides in the pages of Isthmus from now on.

I hope so anyway.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:39 pm

David was at his best as a reporter from the right, a contrarian in the pages of Isthmus. He gave Isthmus readers the scoop several days in advance on Walker's plan to gut the unions. His election predictions were always worth reading because he was trying to get it right, to win points and solidify his reputation as a commentator. He could be a very amusing writer and good at lampooning the left, as when he attended Fighting Bob Fests as an observer.

I personally stopped reading him when he tore into Bill Lueders as an underhanded partisan and conspirator in the Bradey-Prosser affair. Bill, while having strong opinions, is one of the most scruplously accurate and fair reporters in the state. Blaska's attack on Lueders reeked of Joe McCarthy at his reptilian nastiest. It was apparent to me that winner-take-all politics had taken such a toll on David that he had no decency at long last.
Last edited by Broadsheet on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Won't have Blaska to kick around? Oh please.

Good riddance to bad news.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Lily wrote:Won't have Blaska to kick around? Oh please.

Are you familiar with the origin of the phrase? It was meant as sarcasm.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Broadsheet wrote:David was at his best as a reporter from the right... He gave Isthmus readers the scoop several days in advance on Walker's plan to gut the unions. His election predictions were always worth reading because he was trying to get it right, to win points and solidify his reputation...

Blaska's attack on Lueders reeked of Joe McCarthy at his reptilian nastiest. It was apparent to me that winner-take-all politics had taken such a toll on David that he had no decency at long last.

This was a thoughtful posting and I appreciate it. I too think Blaska started out entertaining, but then got sucked into overly-negative, vicious, and zero-sum politics and lost his balance. In a healthy political climate, you don't win because you silence your opponent or wear him out, you go back and forth until a compromise is attained or until people agree to disagree and allow the other side to do the same. You get to roll your eyes, but we've seen enough of rolling the tanks.

We are not in a healthy political climate these days and basically respectable people are drowning in it, people on both sides of the divide. Being reflexively combative may have worked at one time, but it's not a viable MO today whether on the right-wing-commentary side or the union side.

We will see more careers derailed before this is over.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:13 pm

what Snow said.

Sorry Dave. Hope you do well in the next year.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com