MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Federal funds lost by Wisconsin: $1.3 billion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Federal funds lost by Wisconsin: $1.3 billion

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:42 pm

rabble wrote:
Earthling wrote:You're a cynic

Only because you're behaving just like that crowd. Lots of insults, vague generalities, not much evidence, plenty of backpedaling, and a confidence that comes from thinking you're a lot smarter than you actually are.

Dude it was a joke. You know like when the guy sitting on the bar stool asks the bartender to call him a cab, and the bartender replies "you're a cab?"

I'm pretty sure I'm the recipient of far more insults than I dish out, and how would you pretend to know how smart I think that I am. To be honest I consider myself to be above average intellect, but certainly no genius. I don't think that means I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Nor does it mean that I'm going to back to down when people are twisting and turning facts around.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:42 pm

People with above average intellect know the difference between your and you're. Those that claim economics as a strong suit aren't flummoxed by the fact that unemployment rates can fall during a period of job losses.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Perhaps you're new; perhaps you're one of the many that either got bored or banned. Call me a cynic.

And me too.

He joined Dec. 8. Check back and see what else happened about that time.

Somebody's on his best behavior, but that doesn't mean the leopard has changed his spots.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:33 am

Earthling wrote: and how would you pretend to know how smart I think that I am.

Um. Well that right there pretty much demonstrates how smart you aren't.

Lemme try and explain. You write. Writing is putting your thoughts out there for everyone to see. We read your writing. We see what your thoughts are. We see that your thoughts contain invalid assumptions, faulty logic, poor grammar, and misspellings. We also see you just shrug it off when all that stuff is pointed out, and you just keep on doing what you're doing.

I know this ain't gonna sink in, but I have to say so anyway. Happy Holidays.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 am

I love Sheppy in the morning. He knows how Madison's cynics tick.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 am

Earthling wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:So, for the measly cost of $750,000 a year, Walker turned down $800 million.
At no time did the feds come out and say that they would be willing to do the same thing for the commuter rail that would have run through Madison.

There is no reason they wouldn't.

But the worst-case scenario is that the State is on the hook for the full $7.5M /year. Sounds like a lot, unless you're familiar with transportation funding.
From last March:
The engineering work necessary to move forward on reconstruction of the Zoo Interchange would be paid for with $225 million allocated to the project in Gov. Scott Walker's 2011-'13 budget proposal.
The governor also said the project would cost less than the $2.3 billion originally estimated, but he did not provide details on the cost savings.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 95638.html

For a small fraction of our transportation budget we would have had a state-of-the-art passenger rail.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:09 am

rabble wrote:
Earthling wrote: and how would you pretend to know how smart I think that I am.

Um. Well that right there pretty much demonstrates how smart you aren't.

Lemme try and explain. You write. Writing is putting your thoughts out there for everyone to see. We read your writing. We see what your thoughts are. We see that your thoughts contain invalid assumptions, faulty logic, poor grammar, and misspellings. We also see you just shrug it off when all that stuff is pointed out, and you just keep on doing what you're doing.

I know this ain't gonna sink in, but I have to say so anyway. Happy Holidays.

Your entitled to your opinion. The poor grammar thing is self serving and petty. Here is the way I see alot of these threads going:

Me: The Sky is blue

Others: Really? And how would you know that? Based on what? Link Please?

Me: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Blue+Sky&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=768&tbm=isch&tbnid=6P3piFh47ci1xM:&imgrefurl=http://oaklandlocal.com/blogs/2011/04/bart-blue-sky-festival&docid=LzyKU570UIRqHM&imgurl=http://oaklandlocal.com/sites/default/files/i/img_8708_blue_sky2.jpg&w=560&h=420&ei=i1zrTt6WFIjs2QWQicilDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=159&vpy=177&dur=2239&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=177&ty=129&sig=116896482588933369567&page=1&tbnh=121&tbnw=141&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Others: That proves nothing. It's a picture of a blue sky. That doesn't prove that it existed. In fact today it was cloudy. The sky wasn't blue today it was grey. And Rayleigh scattering of sunlight in the atmosphere causes diffuse sky radiation, which is the reason for the blue color of the sky and the yellow tone of the sun itself. So you see once again you are proven to be a moron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Me: Ok, so because the sky only appears to be blue because of raaleig scattering or whatever it means it's not actually blue but it only appears to be that way? So because I stated the the sky is blue and only appear to be blue I'm incorrect?

Others: quote: "ralleig" If you weren't an idiot perhaps you would know to spell correctly

You kind of see my point? So many of you are in attack mode to the extent that you don't even attempt to see the point of what someone else is trying to say that you lose sight of the message. You focus on anything in the post that can be percieved as false, and in term deem it appropriate to then dismiss everything that someone has to say because one small element of something they said wasn't exactly perfect.
Last edited by Earthling on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 am

HamsterArmageddon wrote:I love Sheppy in the morning. He knows how Madison's cynics tick.

Another drive-by post by HA. How about addressing the topic? What do you feel about Walker turning down all those federal dollars? And it is more than just the train grant (see opening post).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

Earthling wrote:Your entitled to your opinion. The poor grammar thing is self serving and petty. Here is the way I see alot of these threads going:

Bwahaha!

Earthling wrote:Me: The Sky is orange

Fixed.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 am

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:Your entitled to your opinion. The poor grammar thing is self serving and petty. Here is the way I see alot of these threads going:

Bwahaha!

Earthling wrote:Me: The Sky is orange

Fixed.

Aren't you the one who was crying foul because I accidentally "misquoted" you? I never alterred anything you typed.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am

nope- that was me
different action, same result
Last edited by jman111 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am

Earthling wrote:Aren't you the one who was crying foul because I accidentally "misquoted" you?

Try again.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

jman111 wrote:nope- that was me
different action, same result

I deleted the post in case you didn't notice
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:39 am

Earthling wrote:removed for lucpac

yep, I noticed
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 am

A year later, Walker rail blunder looks even worse

Last Dec. 9, exactly a year ago, federal officials redirected $810 million in transportation funding that Gov. Scott Walker had rejected to improve Wisconsin's rail system.

That rejection may go down as one of the biggest political goofs in state history.

Now, as other states move forward to upgrade their rail systems — the 110 mph train could be a reality by 2015 — Wisconsin is floundering. No 2,300 construction jobs, no track improvements, no plan.

In fact, the only new train running in Wisconsin is the toy train around the Christmas tree in the Capitol proclaiming the state "Open for Business."

"At least we have one train we can enjoy while other GOP governors get a real train," quips Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison.

And Wisconsin is still trying to figure out how to pay for badly needed rail improvements that would have otherwise been covered if Walker had not acted so foolishly.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government