MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Federal funds lost by Wisconsin: $1.3 billion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Federal funds lost by Wisconsin: $1.3 billion

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

Earthling wrote:$30 million for 20 years= $1.5 million/year (according to the Doyle administration)

Right. Good thing this will never happen.

So...we would have spent less money and gotten more services. And...that's a *bad* thing?

Got it.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:44 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:$30 million for 20 years= $1.5 million/year (according to the Doyle administration)

Right. Good thing this will never happen.

So...we would have spent less money and gotten more services. And...that's a *bad* thing?

Got it.

Where do you dream this crap up? We're not spending any money now BECAUSE THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE COMMUTER RAIL.

Also, my point was there is no way that project was only going to run the state $1.5 million a year.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Earthling wrote:Where do you dream this crap up? We're not spending any money now BECAUSE THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE COMMUTER RAIL.

Apparently you didn't read the link I posted. We're spending millions of dollars on rail infrastructure for existing service that would have been covered if we had accepted the federal money.

Earthling wrote:Also, my point was there is no way that project was only going to run the state $1.5 million a year.

Not much of a point, since you don't have anything to back it up.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Earthling wrote:Proof? The fact that I'm new to this message board doesn't mean I don't read the newspaper or watch the news. Your one tenth of $7.5 million I'm quite confident is coming straight out of the deepest human body cavities.

You obviously didn't take our advice to look up the earlier threads. I'll do your work for you, just this once, 'cause you're new and all (yeah, right).

From this post, which references this article:
Even with the federal government picking up the line's full construction cost, Walker has said he doesn't want state taxpayers to pay operating costs, projected at $7.5 million a year, starting in 2013. A state transportation official has said state taxpayers' share could be as little as $750,000 a year, if federal aid covers 90% of operating costs, as it does for Amtrak's existing Milwaukee-to-Chicago Hiawatha line.

Earthling wrote:Do you really not think you should have to have an ID to vote? Doesn't seem unreasonable to me that you should have to prove who you are.

This issue has also been debated ad nauseam on this forum.

Time for you to do some reading before you post again.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Earthling wrote:Proof? The fact that I'm new to this message board doesn't mean I don't read the newspaper or watch the news. Your one tenth of $7.5 million I'm quite confident is coming straight out of the deepest human body cavities.

You obviously didn't take our advice to look up the earlier threads. I'll do your work for you, just this once, 'cause you're new and all (yeah, right).

From this post, which references this article:
Even with the federal government picking up the line's full construction cost, Walker has said he doesn't want state taxpayers to pay operating costs, projected at $7.5 million a year, starting in 2013. A state transportation official has said state taxpayers' share could be as little as $750,000 a year, if federal aid covers 90% of operating costs, as it does for Amtrak's existing Milwaukee-to-Chicago Hiawatha line.

Earthling wrote:Do you really not think you should have to have an ID to vote? Doesn't seem unreasonable to me that you should have to prove who you are.

This issue has also been debated ad nauseam on this forum.

Time for you to do some reading before you post again.

No offense, but something posted on this message board doesn't convince me of anything. I've spent the last 15 min reading articles on this, and nowhere can I find mention of the federal government funding 90% of the operating costs for this project.

If the voter issue has been debated ad nauseam on this forum than why was it brought up? I didn't bring it up. Don't bite my head off for responding to something that someone else posted.

Just out of curiousity who is it that you think I am (since you clearly think I'm not new)?
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Earthling wrote: No offense, but something posted on this message board doesn't convince me of anything. I've spent the last 15 min reading articles on this, and nowhere can I find mention of the federal government funding 90% of the operating costs for this project.

Since you're new at this Internet thing, let me give you a hand...

This quote:

Come from this Journal Sentinel article, which ilikebeans linked to above.

So, for the measly cost of $750,000 a year, Walker turned down $800 million.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Earthling wrote: I've spent the last 15 min reading articles on this, and nowhere can I find mention of the federal government funding 90% of the operating costs for this project.

A whole 15 minutes. Bravo. Many of us have spent the last year reading articles and gathering information about this very subject matter. Take a little time and research.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 pm

So, as payback to his big donors in the road construction business who didn't want the competition, Walker turned down $800 million.

Fixt.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Earthling wrote: No offense, but something posted on this message board doesn't convince me of anything. I've spent the last 15 min reading articles on this, and nowhere can I find mention of the federal government funding 90% of the operating costs for this project.

Since you're new at this Internet thing, let me give you a hand...

This quote:

Come from this Journal Sentinel article, which ilikebeans linked to above.

So, for the measly cost of $750,000 a year, Walker turned down $800 million.

This is making an assumption that the federal government was going to pay 90% of the operating costs for this project because it does for another one. At no time did the feds come out and say that they would be willing to do the same thing for the commuter rail that would have run through Madison.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Earthling wrote:This is making an assumption that the federal government was going to pay 90% of the operating costs for this project because it does for another one. At no time did the feds come out and say that they would be willing to do the same thing for the commuter rail that would have run through Madison.

You mean the commuter trains and the freight trains run on different tracks, so if you maintain the freight train track with federal money, it doesn't help the commuter track?

I did not know that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 pm

rabble wrote:You mean the commuter trains and the freight trains run on different tracks, so if you maintain the freight train track with federal money, it doesn't help the commuter track?

I did not know that.

You should read some articles for about 15 minutes. Then you would get it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 pm

rabble wrote:
Earthling wrote:This is making an assumption that the federal government was going to pay 90% of the operating costs for this project because it does for another one. At no time did the feds come out and say that they would be willing to do the same thing for the commuter rail that would have run through Madison.

You mean the commuter trains and the freight trains run on different tracks, so if you maintain the freight train track with federal money, it doesn't help the commuter track?

I did not know that.

As if the track was the only maintenance required.
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Earthling wrote:No offense, but something posted on this message board doesn't convince me of anything.

Ah, so you're here to spout bullshit, not actually maintain an open mind and consider that perhaps some people on here have done a ton more research than your 15 minutes.

Earthling wrote:If the voter issue has been debated ad nauseam on this forum than why was it brought up? I didn't bring it up. Don't bite my head off for responding to something that someone else posted.

I mentioned it specifically to highlight the hypocrisy of an administration that claims we can't support commuter rail because of its "high maintenance costs" and then goes ahead and passes legislation to combat non-existent "significant voter fraud" at a much higher annual cost to state taxpayers.

If you want to debate the actual merits of the voter ID bill, there have been plenty of threads and tons of posts dedicated to it over the past year. Look one of those up, read it through (plus the included links to, you know, actual facts and figures), then add your comments to that thread.

Earthling wrote:Just out of curiousity who is it that you think I am (since you clearly think I'm not new)?

Good question. There are any number of right-wing misinformation spreaders that have come and gone on the board over the years. Perhaps you're new; perhaps you're one of the many that either got bored or banned. Call me a cynic.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm

You're a cynic
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Earthling wrote:You're a cynic

Only because you're behaving just like that crowd. Lots of insults, vague generalities, not much evidence, plenty of backpedaling, and a confidence that comes from thinking you're a lot smarter than you actually are.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government