MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Madison driving peeves

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

My worst: people driving around the Square in the right-turn lane. Sunday I was in the left lane next to a guy going straight. He douchily sped away from the State St light (douchily, because who speeds away from a light around the Square?), only to get held up the the next light. His window was halfway down. Fortuitous, I thought, and rolled mine down to say "Hey, you're going straight in a right-turn lane."

His response: "No I'm not."

Hadn't expected that. "Sorry, I didn't know," or "So what," or "Fuck you," maybe, but not a flat-out denial.

Me: "Yes, you are." I gesture toward the Right Lane Bikes Buses and Right Turns Only sign directly ahead of him.

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are!"

"No, that sign is for the parking lane. This is a legitimate left lane for me to go straight."

"What? No, it isn't."

"Yes, it is."

"No, it really isn't!"

"Yes, it is!"

We could've kept that up all day, but the light changed, and all I could get out as he rocketed away from the stop was "You're driving over the restricted-lane symbol right now, stupid!"

It was wildly irritating, but also quite entertaining. Have to give the guy credit for robbing me of any argument by denying the evidence in front of him.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm

This drives me nuts too!

And what makes it extra infuriating is that if you want to park on the Square, you sometimes have to drive illegally in the restricted lane, otherwise you won't be able to get over (because the kind of douchebags that ignore obvious signs, lane lines, and other indicators aren't the kind of douchebags that let people over to get to parking spaces.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Didn't the Square have two-way traffic in the old days?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Huh, dunno. I've only been here since '85, and I'm pretty sure it was all CCW then.

Wags, I agree, the addition of outside parking further complicates things. Love the parking, though, especially when I need to pop in to Walgreen's on the way home from work. I don't know that I've ever been shut out of a spot there.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Here is a picture of the Square from around 1940. Looks like one-way traffic, with angle parking on both sides of the street.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Love WHS as an image source, but they mislabeled that one. Definitely not "looking north."
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:Love WHS as an image source, but they mislabeled that one. Definitely not "looking north."

I think it says "west".

Love seeing the Strand. I took some hottie to see "Christine" there when I was a teen.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think it says "west".

It does now...

WHS wrote:Right you are! Thank you for catching our error. I will update the image record shortly.

I got that response less than 15 minutes after contacting them through their site. Not bad!

[Edited to delete my name from the quote—not to be coy, but because the guy spelled it wrong, and it seemed weird to correct it. How neurotic is that?]
Last edited by Ducatista on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Nice work Duc. Fun to see the Strand again.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Yeah, I really miss some of those buildings around the Square. Even the not-so-lovelies, like Woolworth's.

When did you live here, Ned? We probably jostled each other for space at the bar at least a time or two...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Ducatista wrote:Yeah, I really miss some of those buildings around the Square. Even the not-so-lovelies, like Woolworth's.

When did you live here, Ned? We probably jostled each other for space at the bar at least a time or two...

I moved to Minny in the early '00s, so I was definately prowling around in the late 80s-90s.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 pm

I can't resist posting this link, even though it's got nothing much to do with driving peeves.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/ful ... e%255Fdesc

It's Schenk's Corners from the air, around 1956. You can see the railroad track that runs where Eastwood and the bike path are today, and the end of First Street is right by the big white Lutheran church on Winnebago.

Just because I know lots of people here like these old time photos.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:46 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's Schenk's Corners from the air, around 1956.
It looks like the orientation is off for this one, too. I'd say the view is looking due west, not northeast.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Ducatista wrote:Fortuitous, I thought, and rolled mine down to say "Hey, you're going straight in a right-turn lane."

His response: "No I'm not."

Maybe he thought you asked, "Are you strait? My name is Lane."
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 pm

snoqueen wrote:I can't resist posting this link, even though it's got nothing much to do with driving peeves.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/ful ... e%255Fdesc

It's Schenk's Corners from the air, around 1956. You can see the railroad track that runs where Eastwood and the bike path are today, and the end of First Street is right by the big white Lutheran church on Winnebago.

Just because I know lots of people here like these old time photos.

I can see the house I grew up in from here! 8)
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe