MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Overcast and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Moving Companies

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Moving Companies

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 am

Would anyone recommend a particular moving company over others in the area? Any truly negative experiences? Cost differences?
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Moving Companies

Postby pds » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:20 am

We did a move with Two Men and a Truck and it was fine. When we had more time to plan we did a move with http://www.a1moversofsaukprairie.com, and they were cheaper and awesome. We've continued to use them for small things since and they are always very accommodating.
pds

Postby Petro » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 pm

I had a good experience with Mad City. It was actually documented here.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Hands down, Two Men and a Truck have done us great service over the years. We once moved to Green Bay using them and once we discovered our move error we used them to move back to Madison. Efficient, cost effective, and their employees are very hard working. Excellent company and I can say I safely recommend their services. Next time that we move we WILL be using their services.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Used Two Men and a Truck August 2010 - unbelievably HOT and HUMID, it was killer. The two guys still did the entire move at a pace just short of running, I even asked them to take a break, they declined. Long story short, the move was finished in 1/2 the estimated time, 0 breakage and a customer for life. Oh yeah - very nice guys too!
bcs89

Postby beenie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Another vote for Two Men and a Truck. We used them when we moved here from Fond du Lac in 2007. Fast, friendly, professional, and only a couple hundred more than we would have spent on a U-Haul truck/gas/pizza and beer for friends. Well worth it, if you can swing it. Plus, we moved early-mid April, and Mother Nature dumped a heavy, wet, slushy snow on us that morning, so I was especially glad we weren't the ones lugging all of our crap.

Another thing that sped up the process was the boxes we used - we bought a bunch of those heavy, lidded accounting boxes with punch-in handles on the side. All the same size, and stacked neatly in the room closest to the front door. The TM&aT guys said it cut at least an hour off the load and unload times (maybe more) because they were so easy to stack on the dollies they brought. What we saved in chargeable time pretty much covered the cost of the boxes and made the process MUCH easier for both us and the movers.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I had an ok experience with Two Men: no suprises; no disappointments. But if the move is out-of-state (or, more important, out-of-region), I'd suggest looking more widely. I'm not sure if the site is up-to-date, but I found http://www.movingscam.com/ to be helpful back in 2006. I ended up going with Graebel. Not cheap, but then I wasn't paying.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Let me add this with Two Men and a Truck:

On our move from Green Bay back to Madison, we left before they did and they not only beat us back here (we only stopped for a short fast-food lunch!!) but they had half the truck already unloaded on the floor! Impressive. They charge per hour but they really put their hearts into moving as much of your stuff as possible within that time. If you are moving within Wisconsin I do positively recommend this company.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All