MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

My helpful home tips

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: My helpful home tips

Postby barney » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Petro wrote:The octane rating just refers to the anti-knock performance of the engine. It becomes more important when you move to engines with higher compression ratios or things like superchargers or turbochargers as it prevents premature detonation in the cylinder.

Yeah, I know that. I just always use "87 octane" to refer to what most now call regular gas, because, to me, "regular" is leaded gasoline, no matter how many decades it's been. Sheesh, I'm old.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 am

I'm surprised I forgot this one -- I think original credit goes to Reddit.

If you already own one of those foaming soap dispensers you're golden. Go to the dollar store, most weeks they have a large generic version of dial hand-soap refills and buy a couple of them (they're not always in stock in the large size so you're better off loading up when they're there).

When your foaming soap dispenser runs out in the bathroom or kitchen fill it half-full with water and then fill the other half with the soap refill. The soap still foams-up, cleans and disinfects just as well as a new one and you won't have to buy handsoap for the better part of the year for the low price of 2 dollars.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Here's my attempt to revive this awesome thread :)

This weekend I was doing laundry and thought I'd share this
stain removal list from the Queen of Cleaning, Martha Stewart:

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/pdf3/stain_removal_basics.pdf

Some of the cleaning items you probably already own, others you can pick up at Woodmans or a hardware store.

I'm really clumsy and constantly spill on myself. I keep this list by my washing machine for quick reference.
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:38 pm

I forgot I knew this one until I had to use it tonight:

If you have a screw hole in wood that's become stripped for whatever reason and you don't have larger screws on hand, take out the screw, insert a toothpick, break it off flush with the surface, and try inserting the screw again.

Works best on smaller screws that don't hold lots of weight.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

city2countrygal wrote:I'm really clumsy and constantly spill on myself. I keep this list by my washing machine for quick reference.
For those working the front of the house in the restaurant business, ink stains are a recurring problem. For these, douse liberally with vodka. If the stain in serious, Absolut, Stolichnaya, or similar work better, though these require a more deliberate, iterative process – with an appropriate resevoir kept at the ready. A well-informed bartender is trained to recognize such emergencies and will irrigate liberally until all traces of the stain fade from view.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm

ilikebeans wrote:... insert a toothpick, break it off flush with the surface, and try inserting the screw again.
A very good tip. For larger holes, try the same with kebab skewers. A small squirt of epoxy or construction adhesive will solidify the situation further, especially when screwing into masonry.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 am

fennel wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:... insert a toothpick, break it off flush with the surface, and try inserting the screw again.
A very good tip. For larger holes, try the same with kebab skewers. A small squirt of epoxy or construction adhesive will solidify the situation further, especially when screwing into masonry.

You can use this same method if you don't have a wall anchor for heavy artwork or mirrors. Drill a hole about the same size as your screw then jam a munch of wood in their. Best to hammer it in and plug it up good. Then screw away.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 pm

ilikebeans wrote:I forgot I knew this one until I had to use it tonight:

If you have a screw hole in wood that's become stripped for whatever reason and you don't have larger screws on hand, take out the screw, insert a toothpick, break it off flush with the surface, and try inserting the screw again.

Works best on smaller screws that don't hold lots of weight.

Also works for when the strap button on your Les Paul comes loose and is stripped.

Not sure why, but it never seems to happen on a Strat. I've had to fix 'em on every Les Paul I've ever owned...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Also works for when the strap button on your Les Paul comes loose and is stripped.

Yep. The upper horn of one of my basses contains at least one, possibly two toothpicks these days.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My helpful winter home tips

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 pm

I hope you don't mind the tweak to the subject line narcoleptish.

I've been noticing a few posts (Measurable snow thread) about snow and ice accumulation on one's roof. I struggled with this (roof raking, salt, etc.) for a few years until I discovered heat tape.

Do yourself a favor: Go to Home Depot, buy the stuff, and put it up before snow falls. Buy extra length because it's best to apply in a triangle pattern along your roofline. It doesn't even make a dent in your electric bill. Note you need an exterior electrical socket to plug it in.

One more helpful hint: This is one of those projects where you really do want to read the directions and plan it out first. It's no fun redoing work when it's freezing outside!

Anyone else have any helpful winter tips for one's car, home,
or whatever else?
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:13 pm

You can adjust my title line anytime.

I have one of those dryer vent diverters that vents the warm air into the basement during the winter, outside in the warm weather. I don't know why more people don't use them, a load of clothes is a huge amount of heated air. The moisture in the dryer exhaust cuts down on winter dryness too.

And speaking of dryers, maybe I already said this one but I never use the hot setting on my dryer, the clothes dry just as fast on medium and even low for lighter clothes. Air movement does more drying than heat, and using the medium or low settings will extend the life of your clothes and the dryers heating elements (on electric dryers) and possibly save a little on the electric bill.

After I cook a pizza, I always leave the oven door open to let the heat into the kitchen. It's something..

A bag of water softener crystals (not pellets) is cheaper than a bag of salt packaged specifically for melting sidewalk ice.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I have one of those dryer vent diverters that vents the warm air into the basement during the winter, outside in the warm weather. I don't know why more people don't use them, a load of clothes is a huge amount of heated air.
Probably not a good idea with a gas-run dryer. For an electric, I'd guess you'll need a good filter to avoid coating your walls with lint.

But if you really got it cranking, you could make an event of it and flog yourself with spruce boughs. Let it be your secret spa. (Small blessings, after all.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Put an old nylon over the dryer hose (to avoid lint sprayage) and clean it periodically.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 am

narcoleptish wrote:After I cook a pizza, I always leave the oven door open to let the heat into the kitchen. It's something..

I think you probably get this benefit either way - it would seem that the heat is going to equalize whether the door is open or not - it would just take longer with the door closed.

Of course, I defer to any and all thermodynamics experts that may be on the thread.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:43 am

Bwis53 wrote:Put an old nylon over the dryer hose (to avoid lint sprayage) and clean it periodically.

Or replace it with another one. I grew up with the dryer equipped like this. Whatever happened to suds savers for washers? The used rinse water went into a tub and was reused for the next wash cycle. 'Course that was in the day that the first load was whites, then moving on to colors. There was a reason for doing laundry only once a week, it was work.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All