MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Ruth's Chris

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Ruth's Chris

Postby NullDevice » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Jumping back a few dozen posts...is the Silver Birch still there? I find myself passing through the Tomahawk area fairly often.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Feiler's next to the KFC by Verona Road and the Beltline is the closest to "Old School" Supper Club in my mind. Great steaks, salad bar, even down to the gravel parking lot in back. Same family has had it for 45 years and they are all there working most of the time.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm also going back a few posts here and kinda a do threadjack to Ruth's Chris, maybe more appropriate under the Butchery thread? http://isthmus.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 70ba574f1f
iwiw99 wrote:I bought some Kobe steaks from Jennifer Street Market last summer and the butcher was required to walk the package up to the cashier. Must be easy to shoplift?!?! It didn't matter because after I put it on the grill I dozed off and they became Kobe briquettes. Oh well.

That is unfortunate that your Kobe steaks became briquettes last summer, iwiw99. I picked some up this week for $13/lb at Jennifer St. and they were beyond awesome!!!

I am a food traditionalist, following the lines of Champagne coming only from France, San Marzano tomatoes from Italy, and whatever other regional delight you can come up with that is worthy of naming the food item after it's area of origin, perhaps Jamón Ibérico too?

But hey, if this market (which is becoming one of my top favs after the Butchery thread) is going to sell me this quality meat for $13/lb, I'm not going to argue about what they are calling it. I'm going to go home and sear them up and finish them in the oven, not to exceed 150 degrees.

I suggest you go there and get some and cook up Kobe steaks this weekend if you have not tried them yet! For that price, why not?
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:42 pm

I saw those steaks and will buy some tomorrow. Yum.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:59 pm

150 degrees? hell i only go as warm as 135:)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 pm

indycoyote wrote:150 degrees? hell i only go as warm as 135:)

If I can quote myself?
city2countrygal wrote:not to exceed 150 degrees. [emphasis added]

I cooked my steak to 135, my hubby's to 145 or so per his request. :wink:
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm

No problemo countrygal, glad to see someone else knows their proper temps when savoring fine meats:)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:13 pm

I'd been craving a steak for a couple of weeks when some errands left me right near Ruth's Chris around dinner time the other night. I hadn't been in one in almost a decade, but I figured it was probably about the same.

It was.

The same dim lighting and dark woods and solid service. I didn't find anything objectionable about the steak, other than the fact that I'd asked for it au poivre and it was delivered unadorned, yet a perfect medium rare. (I wasn't charged the upcharge for the au poivre, though.) Well, unadorned is incorrect - it was drowning in clarified butter. It wasn't objectionable, but it certainly masked a bit of the flavor.

I ate in the lounge and I was amazed at how brisk of a business they were doing on a Tuesday night. Lots of groups of apparent business folk, seemingly on expense accounts.

I had a reasonable lobster bisque with minimal adornment of actual lobster chunks, especially considering the $9.50 price tag, followed by a 16oz ribeye with a side of good 'ol fashioned mashed taters. (Also swimming in clarified butter.)

Total cost with a couple of glasses of 16 year Lagavulin was right around a hundred bucks. Curious thing? Balvenie Doublewood is $26 a glass. That's Johnny Blue territory in most places - the entire bottle is only around $60 at retail. Heck, the Lagavulin was only ~$17 a glass, and that's a significantly more expensive bottle.

For a random, convenient and unplanned solo dinner it wasn't terrible - but I'll probably give it a little more thought in the future, given the cost.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 am

Petro wrote:Curious thing? Balvenie Doublewood is $26 a glass. That's Johnny Blue territory in most places - the entire bottle is only around $60 at retail. Heck, the Lagavulin was only ~$17 a glass, and that's a significantly more expensive bottle.

Yeah, that's fucked up. Maybe if it were the 21 year Portwood or the 17 year Peated Cask, but for just Doublewood? Wow.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mikeyk » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am

Wow...amazed to see this thread still going.

I've moved TWICE since I started this and went through another marriage! Well, I go through marriages like changes of underwear, apparently, so discount that.

The Silver Birch still is in Tomahawk. I haven't been there for a couple years. I'm hoping that in hard times the quality is still there...it would nearly have to be, as that's what they're known for. If anyone goes there, please report back.

I'm in the Green Bay area, where there is still a wealth of old-school supper clubs, especially in the fringe communities. And, to my knowledge, no Ruth's Chris.

I like it here. ;)
mikeyk

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 am

mikeyk wrote:I'm in the Green Bay area, where there is still a wealth of old-school supper clubs, especially in the fringe communities.

Swing down to Appleton for the Red Ox or--better--George's.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dspiffy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 am

I enjoy Ruth Chris, but also find it overpriced.

The best chain (yes Ruth Chris is a chain, if that hasnt been mentioned) steak I've had in Madison was at Longhorn.
dspiffy

Postby NullDevice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I went to Longhorn not long ago. Wasn't bad. Wasn't great, but hey, chain steakhouse.

I woulda qualified it as the "best (lower-end) chain steakhouse in town" at that point, although I went to an Outback recently, and the "wood grilled steaks" are a definite improvement to their menu. I dunno if they're legitimately wood grilled, or just seasoned with smoked salt or something, but nonetheless, they were tasty for cheap chain steaks. I'd put the two about even.

I've not been to Fleming's or Ruth's Chris, though. They're just too pricy for even my hedonistic palate.

That said, I always feel like there's little point to going to a chain steakhouse in Madison, since we seem to be blessed with solid local steak joints with good meat. After all, you can go to Smoky's (my past misgivings? Forgiven after a fabulous slab of prime rib and a brandy old fashioned) or Tornado or Wonder and get a pretty high bang-for-the-buck.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mikeyk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:00 pm

NullDevice wrote:
That said, I always feel like there's little point to going to a chain steakhouse in Madison, since we seem to be blessed with solid local steak joints with good meat.

Eggs. Actly. My. Point. Way, back when I originally posted this, I suggested that Chris' was a place for people who live in supper club-impoverished states.

We can extend the above statement to include chains, PERIOD. They're ruining this country's cuisine. The things that make each area of the country, of each state unique slowly are disappearing as Mom and Pops get bowled over by Corporate Crap-food. Same-ness is boring. Live a little...take some risks...try something local and new.
mikeyk

Postby NullDevice » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say ALL chains are evil/ruining the country, though. There're a few more home-grown ones that, while I won't count them as my favorite restaurants, I find them reassuring and stable on road trips.

We often forget just how lucky we are in Madison. I go to visit my folks in The Up Nort Der Hey, and much of it's a vast wasteland of greasy "Family Restaurants", truck stops, I-talian joints that use canned sauce, and once-reputable supper clubs that succumbed to the lure of tourist dollars. When those are your options, Famous Dave's feels like a fancy night out. :/

But here in Madison? If you're getting your steak from TGIMcFunbleBees, ur doin it rong.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews