MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Question to Good Bread Bakers

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Question to Good Bread Bakers

Postby fennel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I've always used blued steel pans. As with cast iron cookware, they develop a seasoned coating one needs to care for. My experience with aluminum is that it tends to scorch. I haven't used glass, but I understand you need to adjust the oven temperature downward.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:32 pm

I like the glass pyrex pans because I can see how brown the loaf is getting on the bottom and sides. Although I have not used the blue steel pan that fennel mentions. I'll pick one of those pans up and do a comparison test.

Anyone have advice on a web site with good gluten-free recipes or know of any Madison stores with a good selection of gluten-free baking items or already baked breads and stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice, this is a whole new world to me! And chemistry was never my forte! Xanthan gum, really?
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby pds » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:40 pm

My mom has to avoid gluten, rice, citrus and chocolate. She really likes Living Without magazine. If you are used to cooking, it's a cool magazine. Every recipe is described so you can swap things out for your particular issue (recognizing that for people with sensitivities that can be multiple things). So, my mom can make their breads with a gluten free flour mix that isn't primarily rice flour.

There is the Silly-Yak Bakery on Mineral Point Road that has baked items and I think mixes and other stuff.

Good luck avoiding gluten is a bitch.
pds

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Sillyak Bakery And Bread Barn Inc. 7866 Mineral Point Road.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 pm

The Willy St Co-op also has a gluten free cooking group that seems to meet monthly. That might be nice because you could get tips and try actual items without having to buy all of the baking supplies first.
pds

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Great advice already! Thanks all! Sticking to rice, potatoes, and corn for starches right now. Got a few GF items around town, but def. need to do more research. The Living Without mag and info at the Willy St. co-op will really help!

pds wrote:... avoiding gluten is a bitch.

And expensive! Those little tiny loaves of bread cost $5 to $7. Sheesh!
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby pds » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Mom says gluten free breads go stale very quickly (maybe because she is doing rice free? this may not be everyone's experience), so when she bakes she slices when cool and then freezes. She'll toast up what she needs as she uses it. When it's labor intensive and expensive that helps minimize the waste.
pds

Postby Lily » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Since baking my own bread I have found it does go bad a lot more quickly than store bought bread but probably because there are no additives/preservatives. Isn't that the whole point of making your own bread? I have an awesome recipe for bread (posted earlier) that after the two loaves are baked I cut them in half. I then wrap each tightly in aluminum foil and the a thick plastic sealed bag and place in freezer. There are only two in our household so I keep half a loaf in the fridge for our eating pleasure. Saves us money, reduces our eating of overly processed foods, and I really find making bread very therapeutic and enjoyable.

One the best things is to pull the freshly baked loaves of bread out of the oven, let them cool, and let the hubby "test" the bread with some butter. I love filling his tummy with good stuff!!!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 am

I freeze half loaves too, and I will for sure on this GF bread! It's quite dry; I had a white rice bread today. It did toast up nicely though! Sandwiches to go might be a problem if they aren't hot.

My other tip is my breadbox. I love it! It really does make your preservative-free breads last longer! I did some research and
decided on Brabantia.

city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:32 pm

city2countrygal wrote:My other tip is my breadbox. I love it! It really does make your preservative-free breads last longer! I did some research and decided on Brabantia.
Good suggestion. It's more tidy than constantly alternating between paper and plastic when you want your bread to breathe but not dry out.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:21 pm

The breadbox idea is really good, but I live in an apartment and counter space is at a premium. In other words, not a lot of room between the coffee maker, blender, mixer, microwave... I purchased an extra freezer, a small one, for our storeroom so that seems to be working for the extra's.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 pm

city2countrygal wrote:Anyone have advice on a web site with good gluten-free recipes or know of any Madison stores with a good selection of gluten-free baking items or already baked breads and stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice, this is a whole new world to me! And chemistry was never my forte! Xanthan gum, really?

Bette Hagman's books are what my mom uses for her baking recipes. The books she has cover things like muffins, scones, and different kinds of breads. For quick stuff, mom's learned to eat a lot of corn tortilla quesadillas. Still check the label, but that's something cheap and off the shelf that isn't such a specialty item.
pds

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks pds for all the tips! I will check out Hagman's books for sure.
I appreciate all the advice! It was exactly what I was looking for,
a nudge in the right direction w/out wasting too much time on the net. Some people charge for the info they have already researched on GF stuff and market it and try to sell it online.

I am really realizing how much I used to waste (or eat too much of!) and am using a lot less now that it's more pricey. Although the Asian and Mexican options have been great for buying off-the-shelf items that are not specifically made GF, they naturally are, like rice noodles and corn tortillas.
Lily wrote:I purchased an extra freezer ... so that seems to be working for the extra's.

I keep all my garden goodies in my extra freezer and pull them out throughout the winter. It's awesome to make a batch of chili in the winter from my own tomatoes and peppers!
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:11 am

:D
city2countrygal wrote:I like the glass pyrex pans because I can see how brown the loaf is getting on the bottom and sides. Although I have not used the blue steel pan that fennel mentions. I'll pick one of those pans up and do a comparison test.

Anyone have advice on a web site with good gluten-free recipes or know of any Madison stores with a good selection of gluten-free baking items or already baked breads and stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice, this is a whole new world to me! And chemistry was never my forte! Xanthan gum, really?

That's why I originally chose the glass pans--so I can see the browning. As for your request for gluten free recipes:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free

Every recipe on the King Arthur Flour site I've tried since it was suggested earlier has been really good. :D
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 am

I'm proud to report my first attempt at GF pizza crust turned out really good. Before I baked it off, I thought it sucked and I would have to throw it out. I was about to chalk it up to a first attempt. But the crust was crunchy on the bottom and soft and spongy inside.

I used a Hodgon's Mill mix that had the yeast packet separate from the flour mix.
I bloomed the yeast as usual, but then it called for eggs as well as oil before adding in the dry mix. The dough was incredibly sticky and hard to spread evenly, kinda like wet cookie dough or cornbread dough. After par-baking for 10 min, I took it out and added my toppings. Simple cheese and pepperoni. I love pepperoni!
pepperoniluv.JPG
pepperoniluv.JPG (11.81 KiB) Viewed 252 times
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues