MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Capitol Theatre Hassles?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Capitol Theatre Hassles?

Postby indycoyote » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 pm

What's the general opinion of the Capitol Theatre as a venue? I went to a concert there this past week and found the ushers to be completely rude, as if I was doing them a favor by buying a ticket and sitting in a seat. Then, when I decided to stand up so I could see over the folks who were standing up already, all I got was nastiness. Not even the word "please". So I complained to the manager, who told me that I would be ejected if I didn't behave. Christ, I'm not young, I wasn't misbehaving, I just thought the usher was being rude and wished to inform her boss! I don't think I'll ever go there again unless it's a must-see show. Anyone else ever have a crappy time in this taxpayer-supported venue? The other folks working outside the theatre itself were very courteous...
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Re: Capitol Theatre Hassles?

Postby EastSideTom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:45 pm

I don't know what your show was, but the last show I attended there, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings + Black Joe Lewis was a GA show...as loose and comfortable as any I've seen in that space in 25 years. Free to move around, stand, dance, sit, whatever.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Went to Warren Haynes, first time there in a long time and I thought it was no hassle at all. I also go out of my way to avoid hassles and would never report a usher (a hassle) unless there was a assault or something similar.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Ok...maybe I just ran into the wrong usher on a bad night...but her boss was a jackass as well, meanwhile folks are smoking in there, typical i guess. I think I'll stick with the Barrymore!
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:37 pm

I was at Warren Haynes, and it kicked all sorts of ass. Band killed, and sound was stellar.

No hassle at all from the staff. The only problem I saw were ushers giving ultimatums to two younger guys that were being very, very obvious about smoking up in the crowd.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a standing/dancing room area at the front of the stage. Everyone was really laid-back and very friendly.

Sorry indy, not sure which show you were at, but I had the exact opposite experience from you. Btw, if you really want the ultimate buzz-kill concert experience, try attending the Rave/Eagle's Club in Milwaukee.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:37 am

ilikebeans wrote:Btw, if you really want the ultimate buzz-kill concert experience, try attending the Rave/Eagle's Club in Milwaukee.

Truth. There's nothing worse than the burst of excitement when I see that an act I like is swinging through WI followed by the disappointment that they're playing the goddamn Rave and knowing that I won't be seeing them. No matter how much I love the band I just will not go there again, ever.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Ugh. The Rave.

Saw Bassnectar there last year. The sound in that room was so crappy that I pretty much must heard the room modes and not the actual music. Still better than their side bars, but not by much.

Eagels Ballroom isn't much better. Saw Dylan there about 13 years ago and it sounded like he was singing at the bottom of a deep well. Morrissey was almost as bad. Strangely Kraftwerk sounded *great* there, but they had several speaker stacks and a small army of clever german acoustic engineers with them.

Moral of the story? If you're playing the Rave, bring german engineers.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music