MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Oat Bran

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Oat Bran

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:30 pm

My doctor suggested oat bran. (I'm fighting cholesterol.) All I can find is muffin and cookie recipes. Seems dull. Even oatmeal looks more interesting to me. Is anyone out there using oat bran in different ways?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oat Bran

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 am

I've sprinkled it on my cereal in the morning.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 am

You could use it in combination with, or in place of, bread crumbs...stuffing, meatloaf, breading for chicken/pork/fish.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Don't limit yourself to just oat bran, Bwis53. There are a ton more high-fiber grains out there, plus fruit, veggies, nuts, and legumes. There was a recent study in JAMA (see http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/us_diet_bad_cholesterol and http://jama.ama-assn.org/gca?gca=jama%3B306%2F8%2F831&allch=&submit=Go) that all fiber lowers "bad" LDL cholesterol.

I personally swear by the Mayo Clinic diet.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/MY00431
I discovered it to lose weight, but it might be good for you too because it emphasizes high-fiber foods and healthy fats. Many of the recipes from the cookbook are available free online. The recipes are tasty and filling (fiber = feeling full).

One more quick tip: oatmeal, esp. Irish oatmeal or steel-cut oats, which take a long time to cook on the stove top, are great in the crock pot or baked in the oven.
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 am

I put some in my smoothie every morning.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 am

I hate oat bran, and that Fiber One crap so we needed to find an alternative. The Mrs. used to make Fiber One and use low-fat Vanilla yogurt as a substitute for Milk, it wasn't bad, but I still felt like it was a chore to eat breakfast (which my doc has recommended I do from now on)

So we started making steel-cut oats on Sundays and putting them in tupperware for the week in half cup servings. Its better than most things I've tried.

Steel cut oats (or irish oats) are in the bag your own grains section of most grocery stores. They take like 8 hours to cook so we put them in a slow cooker overnight, and portion them out in tupperware to be microwaved in the morning. They taste quite a bit better than oat meal especially with a 1/4 tablespoon of unsalted butter and a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar.

Cooking them is a little weird. It ended up being like 3 cups of water for every cup of oats. We put the oats in water in a pyrex bowl, then put the bowl in the slow cooker. Then you have to put another couple cups of water in the slow cooker on the outside of the bowl to keep the oats for drying out and to regulate the temperature. But after that you just let them sit and they're ready to eat in the morning.

If you're not a fan of oatmeal this might not be your thing, but for me its a hell of a lot better (and cheaper) than Fiber One or Oat Bran.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Harvey Korman: I ate so much fiber I could weave a basket!

I read one suggestion about mixing oat bran in yogurt. That sounds tolerable.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 pm

I can recommend a slow cooked recipe for steel cut oats in a crock pot by Food Network Alton Brown that's actually good:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

You can get oat bran in the bulk section of many grocery stores and it's relatively inexpensive, much more so than boxed stuff. Another good thing to try is ground flax seed--lots of fiber and omega-3's (the good stuff in fish).

Fiber One cereal tastes like hard Styrofoam peanuts, only not as good.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 am

1 egg white
2 Tbsp oat bran
2 Tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
seasoning of you choice ( savory or sweet- I like to use chives, salt and pepper )
makes one 5" pancake

Whip egg white in a bowl until frothy. Then add in yogurt, oat bran and seasoning. Pour batter into a non-stick pan on medium heat cooking each side till golden brown.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues