MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Speeding Ticket

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Speeding Ticket

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:37 pm

After driving Highway 26 through Rosendale for 30 years, I finally got a speeding ticket. (Not in Rosendale proper, but on HWY 26 south of there.)

Back in the day, people used to say "go to court, and your fine/points will be reduced". I always thought that was nonsense, but am willing to hear others' comments. Given that I was most likely going at the speed they clocked me at, I am not sure what I would give as a reason for challenging the ticket.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speeding Ticket

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Years ago in Fitchburg, I showed up, pled no contest. You take responsibility, tell the judge you have a clear record (he/she will know if that's true, so don't wing it), apologize and promise to go and sin no more. My offense was reduced to a lower category of speeding, which reduced the points and fine.

From your description, it sounds like you were caught in a fairly well-known and notorious speed trap. At least it was reputed to be back in the day. If it is that one, I don't know if you will have the same kind of result I did. Mine happened in 86 and I have managed to avoid citations ever since.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 am

Had you been nailed in town you might have had better luck if you showed up wearing one of these shirts:
ImageI bought one for my cousin when he got nabbed coming up from IL to visit my sister up in Shawano. I warned him to slow down but he didn't heed it, and those Illinois plates are red meat for the Rosendale cops.

It's been a few years since I've gotten a speeding ticket but my last experience was similar. Back when I was a teenager I went to traffic court in Monroe and the judge must have been held up on the golf course or something since the clerk took over. Regardless of the legality of the situation the clerk knocked 5 mph off of basically everyone that showed up for court including me, which reduced the points but not my fine.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 am

Oh fer Pete's sake...
You admit you were speeding, so just pay the fine and be done with it. If this really is your first and only ticket in 30 years, what difference does it make how many points you get? You need 12 in a 12-month period before there are any repercussions, so if you really are a generally safe and law-abiding driver you have nothing to worry about either way. Besides, if you're going to speed then you should be prepared to face the music when you're caught. You know, don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine and all that. I get a ticket for speeding on the highway about once every 4-5 years and honestly, it's worth every penny to have saved all those hours of travel time.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 am

Was the posted speed limit appropriate for the roadway?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 am

Many years ago I went to court for a speeding ticket in Superior, and another time for making an illegal u-turn in Milwaukee. Both times the charges and fines were reduced basically for just showing up. But I also had a bad driving record and a lot of extra time back then.

Now I would probably just pay the ticket and not waste a bunch of time driving to court in Rosendale.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Based on the comments above, and the advice of a lawyer friend of the family, I think I may show up to see if I can save some points. I have so many hours in at work that half a day will not cost me any vacation, and I figure I can walk on to a nice golf course somewhere on the way back for a quick 9 or 18 holes, being a weekday in the fall.

Apropos of nothing, another nice stop up there is Brandon Meats, which is about 10 mi west of Rosendale. We have ordered a quarter of beef from them a number of times, and it has always been high quality, and reasonably priced. Wouldn't make a special trip or anything, but I often stop by on the way through.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Your auto insurance usually goes up if you get ticketed for any moving violation.

Seems like it's worth trying to reduce your fine (to offset the insurance) and if you lose fewer points (due to being below some threshold, perhaps) you might take less of an insurance hit depending on your company's policies.

I see no reason people should consider a ticket every few years "cost of doing business." It's totally avoidable. You use more gas going faster, you waste money on tickets, you waste money on insurance, and you're less safe. And why should you support Rosendale (and Cambridge)? Let them tax their own residents.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:Your auto insurance usually goes up if you get ticketed for any moving violation.

This has never happened to me. In fact, my auto insurance has been steadily decreasing for the past decade or so, and as I said, I've received 2-3 speeding tickets in that time. Obviously, YMMV.

snoqueen wrote:You use more gas going faster, you waste money on tickets, you waste money on insurance, and you're less safe.

All true. But you get where you're going faster.

Look, I'm neither encouraging people to speed nor criticizing those who don't, I'm merely suggesting that if you do, you should accept the consequences. Which is how I feel about... well... just about everything.

snoqueen wrote:And why should you support Rosendale (and Cambridge)?

Are you seriously suggesting that people shouldn't have to take responsibility for their actions if they're outside their own zip code? C'mon, sno - the OP admits they were speeding. They got caught. Unless you really want to turn this into an argument about whether speeding tickets are unjust on their face or a violation of natural rights (cue Arturo) they should just pay the piper.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:You use more gas going faster, you waste money on tickets, you waste money on insurance, and you're less safe. And why should you support Rosendale (and Cambridge)? Let them tax their own residents.

I try not to speed excessively, but do set cruise control 4-5 MPH over the limit on a freeway. The key in this case was that I had been on the freeway for a couple hours, and they got me in the first mile or two of 55 MPH road. Tricksy hobbitses.

In looking at the ticket more closely, I am 1 MPH above a lower tier of ticket, which helped me decide. Besides, I hear Fon Du Lac in the fall is lovely.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm

My insurance did not go up when I got a ticket either and mine was from a state trooper on I-39, so it showed up in CCAP.

Don't you have to show up in person to contest? Wouldn't that involve driving to the county seat of where it was issued? I ask because if you spend $20 in gas driving to Fond du Lac to get $20 knocked off your ticket AND you wasted at least a half a day of your life, what have you gained? 2 points on your license? As mentioned earlier, you'd need a lot more tickets before that even matters...
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 pm

1.5 years since my last ticket, DeForest. Going to court wasted half a day and saved one lousy point.
, no reduction in $$.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 pm

FWIW, I went from four points to zero points, and had the fine reduced by 30 bucks or so. I didn't have to burn any time off, so the only cost was the gas. Ended up being worth it for me, YMMV.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 am

Reduced to zero points?
How did you pull that off?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

jman111 wrote:Reduced to zero points?
How did you pull that off?

Not the first time I've heard of that happening. I always assumed the point loss was not only not mandatory, but was also directly tied to the mood swings of the presiding judge.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel