MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Irene going to blow East Coast

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Irene going to blow East Coast

Postby Beaver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Looks like a bad storm heading to the Northeast. I wonder how much damage there will be. And will enough people evacuate?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Irene going to blow East Coast

Postby c02 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm guessing a lot of people won't evacuate. Folks in the lower keys won't budge at cat. 3 or lower and Irene looks to be just that. With landfall it will presumably slow down but like anything it's always a crap shoot. The Carolina's are somewhat used to it so I would guess they take on the same attitude as the So. Floridians. Tourists will be leaving in droves but the locals will probably be staying put for the most part. Some will even be having Hurricane Parties.

I wouldn't be as worried about the hurricane right now as I would be the tornadoes as it passes by/through. They can lay a hurt on the outer edges of the hurricane and those folks who aren't in the direct path of the hurricane may be the ones getting more than they expected.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:48 am

I'm in touch with folks on the toney non-sinking barrier island on which I vacation. They are not evacuating yet, but are expecting a very big storm. The ground is already saturated from summer rain and they're expecting more tonight. Additionally they are expecting high tide about the same time the storm in expected to pass. Not good news.

Also, I can attest that the Atlantic is very warm this summer which, no doubt, is fueling this storm.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:19 pm

I lived in CT through Hurricane Gloria back in the 80s. We were without power for a week. And that was a Cat 1 storm (if that) and it only grazed us.

If this hits New England at Cat 2 its going to be nasty.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Here in Maine we're expecting a pretty bad storm Sunday/Monday. Outage training is ongoing.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:34 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/hurrica ... 1/Irene?hp

Here's one of the better tracking maps I've seen.

At least it's hitting on a weekend so people won't get stuck at work. I can't imagine a more impossible task than evacuating the east coast. Good luck, people.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:28 pm

This would make a good Jersey Shore episode. I hope the cast will be there filming when Irene hits.

buckyor wrote:Here in Maine we're expecting a pretty bad storm Sunday/Monday. Outage training is ongoing.

Are you vacationing or did you move to Maine?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KrazyKat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 am

I found this site that has tons of hurricane maps, radar, etc: http://spaghettimodels.com/
KrazyKat

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 am

Back in the day when I was in the Navy, Hurricane Camille hit. It was Category Five when it came ashore in Mississippi then went cross country, exiting in Virginia. My ship was stationed in Norfolk and we have an emergency recall and immediately set sail, to ride it out at sea rather than just bang against the pier. Hundreds drowned in Virginia, as flooding is the greatest danger from hurricanes.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Beaver wrote:This would make a good Jersey Shore episode. I hope the cast will be there filming when Irene hits.

Could we be so lucky to have the entire cast of Jersey Shore washed out to sea? That would be some "reality TV" worth watching. :twisted:
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Apparently, they're more worried about the surge and the subsequent flooding more than the storm itself.

Bitch all you want about blizzards and snow, at least you can pick it up and move it somewhere else with shovels and heavy equipment. It's awful hard to pick up all that water in an endloader.
No. Thank. You.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 pm

From the latest news story about hurricane preparations on the boston.com website:

The Boston Archdiocese issued a statement saying that Catholics should use good judgment in deciding whether to venture to Massachusetts on Sunday.

Heh. That's what happens when you don't include a human brain anywhere in your computer's "search-and-replace" sequence.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Beaver wrote:
buckyor wrote:Here in Maine we're expecting a pretty bad storm Sunday/Monday. Outage training is ongoing.

Are you vacationing or did you move to Maine?

I've lived here the past five years.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

barney wrote:Apparently, they're more worried about the surge and the subsequent flooding more than the storm itself.

Bitch all you want about blizzards and snow, at least you can pick it up and move it somewhere else with shovels and heavy equipment. It's awful hard to pick up all that water in an endloader.
No. Thank. You.

My father's house was destroyed a few weeks ago in the Dubuque flooding. The waterline in his garage was about eye level and his house sits a bit higher but it still went over the counter tops. The destruction of a flood is unbelievable and it leaves behind a thick layer of "chocolate pudding" which is actually mostly silt and sewage. At 69 years old he was forced to swim through flood waters that went up to about his chin, but you can't really walk in rushing water. Honestly, if he had abandoned his house a few minutes later he probably would have died. Given the debris scattered around his property, which includes huge rocks and uprooted trees, he's very fortunate to have made it to higher ground when he did.

So yeah, I've seen flood devastation firsthand. The house where I spent the last 20 Christmas Eves and taught my nephew how to throw a football is gone. The foundation collapsed on the backside of the house and it's a total loss, along with two pickup trucks, a camper, a sweet limited edition 1994 convertible Mustang and virtually all of my father's personal belongings.

Fortunately, he's alive and kicking (and digging around in the muck for his favorite channel locks) and he had the resources to simply buy a new house. We move him into his new digs on September 1st. Many people caught in a flood don't have those kinds of resources and they simply lose everything they own. Insurance pays for earth, wind and fire, but they don't pay for water.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines