MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

The Annex: Done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:They've had a lot of good shows there. Bob log was scheduled to play there, now where.

Bob Log should be playing the Frequency. Did he really need a 200 person room in Madison?
I hope it can get moved there, cuz it will be a good show.

Are you saying he can't sell that many tickets cause the last time I saw him here it was at the High Noon. The place was packed. The frequency would be cool because it's a small venue, but I think it's too small for him.

There's NO way he can sell 400 tickets in madison. "Packed" should mean PACKED, not 200 tickets sold for a 400 person room. That is NOT packed.

Judging from these photos where you can SEE THE END OF THE CROWD, I would safely assume 400 tickets were NOT sold for this event last time:
http://trueendeavorsblog.com/2010/08/13 ... on-8-5-10/

I saw Monotonix at High Noon with probably 200+ people (probably a VERY similar crowd to Bob Log), and then where did they play the next time they came through?
THE FREQUENCY.

Not to mention that when I saw the Black Lips at High Noon even that wasn't sold out (I would consider it semi-packed, but definitely not PACKED), and if yr going to argue that Bob Log is as popular as the Black Lips, well then yr delusional.

Better to play a sold out small room than a 400 person room half full.
End of story.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:27 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Better to play a sold out small room than a 400 person room half full.
End of story.

I'd rather see a show with some breathing room, then be shoulder to shoulder and not be able to see a damn thing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jou » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Ladybeard destroyed that room a few years ago, in the night, one of the best local shows I've ever seen.

Speaking of destruction Destroy All Christmas with Droids was fun there, too...

Otherwise I saw the Whigs there, that was cool... and the Toadies a couple of times. First time was much better, happy rock out funpit... second time you couldn't even dance/rock in place and people were like "ew, don't, like, sweat on me, groty"
Jou
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:Better to play a sold out small room than a 400 person room half full.
End of story.

I'd rather see a show with some breathing room, then be shoulder to shoulder and not be able to see a damn thing.

Well that's where you and I fundamentally differ...And that statement proves yr definition of "packed" is not accurate. To each his own with breathing space (I understand the concept, but shows like that completely feel dead energy wise - whether yr in the audience or on the stage)

Question...Are you a musician?
If so, then you've got a really skewed sense of rooms. Every time I play High Noon (even with 150-200+ people in it), I'd RATHER be playing the Frequency with 100. And I know for a fact many other musicians in this town agree.

Most places in the US, musicians will tell you they'd rather play a smaller room packed than a larger room with a bunch of dead air. That's just common sense.

But back on point. Sucks we lost the annex. I did see some good shows there.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
End of story.

No joke. Not sure why anyone thinks being in an at-capacity standing-room-only venue is a good thing, but I guess everyone's different. Me, I like being able to get a beer in under 10 minutes without a lot of shoving, having a sight-line to the stage, and generally just being able to move around.

Also: Pretty sure the High Noon Saloon capacity is more like 800 than 400. Anyone know for sure?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Bland wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
End of story.

No joke. Not sure why anyone thinks being in an at-capacity standing-room-only venue is a good thing, but I guess everyone's different. Me, I like being able to get a beer in under 10 minutes without a lot of shoving, having a sight-line to the stage, and generally just being able to move around.

Also: Pretty sure the High Noon Saloon capacity is more like 800 than 400. Anyone know for sure?

Again yr not the one playing the show are you?

You guys must be too old to enjoy a good rowdy rock show. Couldn't possibly get some kids sweat all over you could you? Heaven forbid you get bumped by Marco Pogo.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Bland wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
End of story.

Pretty sure yr mistaken and a dumbass.
It's 400.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:13 pm

defactobrigade wrote:You guys must be too old to enjoy a good rowdy rock show. Couldn't possibly get some kids sweat all over you could you? Heaven forbid you get bumped by Marco Pogo.

Yeesh, it's like you can't grasp the concept of different people liking different things. Perhaps when you grow up a little you'll learn that lesson. If everyone liked everything exactly the same, we'd only need one venue, one band, and one beer, wouldn't we?

I'll take your word for the capacity -- not sure why I thought it was so big, but looking at some pics and doing a little math in my head suggests I was wrong. Of course, I preferred your original reply, which didn't call me a dumbass (I'm sure you NEVER make mistakes, right?) What kind of a brat actually edits their original post to add an unnecessary insult?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:14 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Again yr not the one playing the show are you?

Oh, and this is arrogance of the highest order.

You are the entertainer. The customer pays to see you. We aren't there for your benefit, you're there for ours, so it's our comfort and enjoyment that should be catered to, not yours.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:Again yr not the one playing the show are you?

Oh, and this is arrogance of the highest order.

You are the entertainer. The customer pays to see you. We aren't there for your benefit, you're there for ours, so it's our comfort and enjoyment that should be catered to, not yours.

It's not arrogant when you actually LIKE to see shows like this as well as play them. And I'd MUCH prefer to see a show in a packed room with energy than a dead ass room where I could swing around without hitting anyone. MANY people would agree.

I think yr mistaken, the entertainer is there for their OWN benefit, not yrs man. I like to play music live, i don't care if there's 500 people there or no one there.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm

defactobrigade wrote:MANY people would agree.
And many do not.

Go figure. People like different things.
What are you, like 13?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:MANY people would agree.
And many do not.

Go figure. People like different things.
What are you, like 13?

Actually 12.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 pm

defactobrigade wrote: I think yr mistaken, the entertainer is there for their OWN benefit, not yrs man. I like to play music live, i don't care if there's 500 people there or no one there.

OK, I'll buy that (even if it is contradictory -- you obviously DO care how packed the club is.)

So let me rephrase: The venue is there to serve the customer (for profit, of course.) Any club designed solely to please musicians ain't gonna last long.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Bland wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
End of story.

http://www.stephaniemiller.com/press/
http://www.electrical.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38148
http://curbonline.com/2010/10/19/queens-of-rock/
http://host.madison.com/mobile/article_3920dc2b-6c82-524b-af23-dea53573e361.html
http://louisdefino.wordpress.com/2011/04/

All state the capacity is 399-400.
I shouldn't have even been questioned. You obviously have NO idea about capacities of rooms if you think High Noon was an 800 person room. How old are you?
At yr age shouldn't you be able to tell the difference between 400 and 800??!?!?!
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Bland wrote:
defactobrigade wrote: I think yr mistaken, the entertainer is there for their OWN benefit, not yrs man. I like to play music live, i don't care if there's 500 people there or no one there.

OK, I'll buy that (even if it is contradictory -- you obviously DO care how packed the club is.)

So let me rephrase: The venue is there to serve the customer (for profit, of course.) Any club designed solely to please musicians ain't gonna last long.

I disagree.
The Frequency is there for the bands and I think Darwin would agree. This is what that club was founded on. It's done pretty well in the last few years, hasn't it?
It's OBVIOUSLY not just for the musicians, but it's got many musician friendly pieces.

Additionally MICKEYS IS ALL about the musicians. We get treated like royalty there, and shows there are more fun than at any other place in town.

Lastly, obviously any band would want to play for a packed crowd, that'd be a stupid argument to disagree with. BUT when it comes down to it I'm not going to turn down a show with bands I like because it isn't going to be packed. I like to play live music. Anyone who's seen my band would probably agree with this as well.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music