MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Annex: Done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

The Annex: Done

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Seems like a reflection on the venue's current profile that this was apparently announced a week ago and nobody's said anything about it.

from The Annex website:

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: On June 22, 2011, Owner Bruce Gerhartz has made an executive decision to CANCEL ALL SHOWS and suspend events in the Annex until further notice starting June 27, 2011. The REGENT STREET RETREAT will be open for business 4-12 pm Wed through Thurs, 4-2 am Friday and 11 – 2 am Saturday. The Regent and Annex will be open for all Home football games starting Sept 1st.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Annex: Done

Postby wallrock » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I hate to see any music venue shut down, but I think I'd only gone to one show at the Annex in the last two years. There just weren't many acts playing there that interested me.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:54 pm

The writing has been on the wall for a while. The last two times I was there, there were fewer than ~20 and ~35, respectively, in attendance. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:48 pm

most of my favorite madison shows have been at the annex. it's a shame it's closing.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 pm

They've had a lot of good shows there. Bob log was scheduled to play there, now where.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 pm

This is the way of Madison.
Sucks.
But at the same time were local bands really playing there anymore?
Besides opening for more "well-respected" acts that played the "premier" nightclub in town.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

jman111 wrote:The writing has been on the wall for a while. The last two times I was there, there were fewer than ~20 and ~35, respectively, in attendance. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

The last few times I was there it was pretty well packed:
The Kills
Autolux
Black Rebel

Before that I saw Jucifer there with about 20 or less in the room and before that it was the Go with the Willowz and there were like 5 people in the room.

They should have been booking more bands the size of The Kills/Black Rebel, but with High Noon having the larger capacity it was only a matter of time before all the higher profile bands jumped ship. A 200 person room is a hard room to make survive in a town like this I think.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 pm

depinmad wrote:most of my favorite madison shows have been at the annex. it's a shame it's closing.

Most of yr favorite shows?
Bold statement.
I liked all the shows I saw there but there were only 5-10 shows worth going IMO over the last 5 years or so.

I don't want to be misread about this. This still sucks. It always sucks to lose a venue. But I think if we lost The Frequency, High Noon, Crystal, The Wisco, or Mickeys it would have been a larger hit to the local community.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Stebben84 wrote:They've had a lot of good shows there. Bob log was scheduled to play there, now where.

Bob Log should be playing the Frequency. Did he really need a 200 person room in Madison?
I hope it can get moved there, cuz it will be a good show.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:They've had a lot of good shows there. Bob log was scheduled to play there, now where.

Bob Log should be playing the Frequency. Did he really need a 200 person room in Madison?
I hope it can get moved there, cuz it will be a good show.

Are you saying he can't sell that many tickets cause the last time I saw him here it was at the High Noon. The place was packed. The frequency would be cool because it's a small venue, but I think it's too small for him.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:54 pm

I wonder if this had anything to do with the Annex closing:
Madison police break up brawl of 20 to 30 people at The Annex
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm

That one and a couple other events there over the last few months probably prompted it. The fatal stabbing at the BP on Park Street several months ago was the culmination of a fight that started at the Annex on a promotion night, if I recall correctly. I don't know if anyone from MPD Central District has contacted the place.

I think the owner just decided it wasn't worth it anymore, risk versus reward. Having outside promoters come in to host parties and dance/DJ nights has been a last gasp effort to keep afloat in the recent past (Scatz, Spices, Frida's, I can't remember a couple others).

In the last few years, I've only been to 2 shows at the Annex off duty and at least 3 times that many on duty.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 pm

I saw a great Screamin' Cyn-Cyn / Shane Shane / Har-Mar Superstar show there one or two years ago.

Or did I just dream that?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:29 pm

evan dando

spoon

dave bazan

guided by voices

michael penn

all really wonderful, intimate, great shows at the annex.

i just think, aside from the obnoxious pillars, it is the best sized space and best sounding rock venue in town. for whatever reason, it seems really hard to get a roomful of people in madison to actually concentrate on a live show. it's been the bane of my existence at luthers, high noon, club tavern, the frequency, cafe montmartre, and rathskellar.
the only shows i've seen that match the intimacy and focused audience of the dozen or so annex shows i've enjoyed over the years have been the frogs shows at motherfools.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:57 pm

depinmad wrote:for whatever reason, it seems really hard to get a roomful of people in madison to actually concentrate on a live show.

This. I couldn't agree more. I'm out at bars/shows at least 3 times a week. Often I'm amazed at the number of people in the room that seem oblivious to the entertainment- or even, apparently, annoyed that their conversations are interrupted by it. Seriously, if you're not there to hear the band, why stay?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music