MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Cuco's in Verona - Mexican

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Cuco's in Verona - Mexican

Postby kulgar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Cuco's opened a few weeks ago in the Verona restaurant death spot that was formerly The Stockade and then the fatally flawed Megan's. There's a sign up on Hwy M as you roll into Verona fom the north but the restaurant is tucked down the embankment and a bit hard to spot. And you can't get there from the southbound direction, have to go down to the corner, turn left and go around and then through the block. It's north of downtown Verona.

My first two impressions is that it's worth the effort. The menu is typically very, very broad but the carry out basics were quite good. Disclaimer: I have not tried the margaritas. The place was jumping on Saturday evening but appears professionally managed with multiple hostesses to seat you and the owner (I assumed) overseeing the operation. No chaos which is commendable in a new, busy restaurant.

How Pasqual's didn't make it with only a few competing restaurants in Verona is hard to imagine. Circolo catering (which reportedly is operating from some other "larger" location) and Gallup coffee have also closed in the old Pasqual's location a block away. Gallup made it three coffee shops and Verona is a small market for that many coffee shops.

If you happen to be out biking or touring southwest of Madison, Cuco's is an option. Outdoor eating area in the sun with umbrellas.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Cuco's in Verona - Mexican

Postby QuantumWeaver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:23 am

There is also a Cuco's in Waunakee. The same owner has several other restaurants in the area (La Tolteca in Sun Prairie and another in Portage I believe).

The Waunakee location is usually very busy most nights of the week - I had one so-so lunch experience there, but I tried again for dinner which was good. La Tolteca in Sun Prairie was good as well.
QuantumWeaver

Postby windsurf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 am

Do not eat at the Verona Cuco's. They will literally rip you off. We ate there 3 weeks ago (June 2011) and were charged twice for the same meals. I tried many times to rectify the matter but they refused to contact me. I had to go thru my bank to protest the extra charge. I have currently filed a complaint with the BBB, the Wisconsin Consumer Affairs department and the Verona Chamber of Commerce. What I intitially thought was a honest mistake has turned into a fraud investigation.
windsurf

Postby dead ed » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I had lunch from the Waunakee location and it was ok, but no attempt at being authentic. If you like Laredos (and many do) you'll probably like Cucos.
dead ed

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

windsurf wrote:They will literally rip you off.

Of what?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews