MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fruit?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Fruit?

Postby Parintachin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm

If you have ever had a REAL daiquiri, not a the neon, alcoholic slushy that gets passed off as a daiquiri, it is sublime. A real daiquiri, made with fresh lime juice, simple syrup and rum is the quintessential summer cocktail. Why can't I find one in Madison?

Despite the slow rise of good cocktails in Madison I have yet to find a single bar that shows the same kind of dedication to cocktails that places like L'Etoile, Underground Kitchen and Harvest take with their food. We've got a $19.00 burger made floor to ceiling with artisanal ingredients but nobody can squeeze a lime?

Am I missing something? Does anybody know of a bar that actually uses fresh fruit?
Parintachin

Re: Fruit?

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Jolly bobs makes some of the best fruity drinks in town.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:08 am

Try Merchant, just off the square. They have great cocktails, and use real fruit.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 am

Sardine's uses real fruit juice for their cocktails as well.

2nd Jolly Bobs. A Madison summer staple.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 am

The fresh strawberry margarita at the Eldorado Grill is the best blended (real) fruit drink I've had in Madison. Their tequila selection is huge!

Although, Parintachin, you mentioned a daiquiri/rum, and it's been a few years since I've been there and their menu shows only Bacardi and Captain, it would still be worth checking out. The bar has a great atmosphere, and the food is pretty darn good too!
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby Parintachin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes, I do know about Jolly Bob's. Their drinks are fantastic but the are also loud and often packed.

Sardine is a restaurant first and not open late.

I actually hadn't looked at Merchants offerings. I will have to check it out. But at those prices, I'm not going to be able to enjoy it as often as I would like.
Parintachin

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm

city2countrygal wrote:The fresh strawberry margarita at the Eldorado Grill is the best blended (real) fruit drink I've had in Madison.
Do you mean fresh strawberry or fresh strawberry? If they're using those California industrial nodules, you might as well blend a lightly masticated bolus of kapok with some pureed Froot Loops®, for all the fruit flavor you'll get.

As far as real strawberries go, slice one open.
   If you see white, it ain't right!
But that's not ... all give it a very light squeeze. Does it weep ruby tears? Good. Now taste.

Strawberries are hard to come by in these parts.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Back in the olden days when we used to freeze and can fruit the dead ripe ones were used for daiquiris. Fresh fruit, sugar, rum, a bit of lemon or lime, ice, yummy!

I can still get great berries at the pick your own places, peaches are another story. What happened with those juicy fragrant lucious orbs with their fuzzy coats? The best used to come from Colorado, haven't had one like that in years.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:36 pm

msnflyer wrote:... peaches are another story. What happened with those juicy fragrant lucious orbs with their fuzzy coats? The best used to come from Colorado, haven't had one like that in years.
Oh, no.

Michigan peaches ruled. But southern peaches are more available. I heard there was some kind of impromtu southern peach wholesale market that takes place in some beltway-area parking lot hereabouts. Is that so?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KrazyKat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am

Tree Ripe Citrus will have peaches in July. They have scheduled stops in and around Madison and pretty much all of WI. I've had their peaches: they deliver them not quite ripe then you let them sit out for their final sweetening. They're way better than I've had from any grocery store round here- but I've never had one fresh from the orchard (or Colorado). Their citrus in the winter is quite good as well. No I'm not an employee--but they are really nice people. I think the couple lives in the semi truck during delivery seasons.
http://www.tree-ripe.com/
KrazyKat

Postby kimm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:10 am

I just picked up some peaches at Sentry this week on Midvale and they were really good. Great peach flavor and very good texture (juicy, but not mealy). Vanilla yogurt with fresh diced peaches has been my favorite afternoon snack this week.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 am

I've bookmarked Tree Ripe, thanks.
Their site has a recipe for peaches frozen in orange juice, something we had all the time when I was a kid. The difference between Mom's and Tree Ripe's is that they add sugar. Nothing like slightly icy peaches and OJ for breakfast on a winter's morn.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

25 lbs is the minimum purchase for peaches?
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Depending on the time of the summer, Brennans can have some pretty good peaches.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails