MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Carnival or Why Are You Not Eating Here?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Carnival or Why Are You Not Eating Here?

Postby Parintachin » Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 pm

I finally went to Carnival last week. I had the best Chicago Dog I've had in Madison. Absolutely perfect. I had onion rings that were made with the same level of skill and perfection that Lombardio's puts into their calamari. The place is super funky. The owners have obviously got a funky sense of style and it shows. If you like to hear the word "local", it's local food with local art from local artists. The ice cream was really good. If either you or your waistline is getting sick of heavy, cloying, expensive frozen custard, it's nice to go back to the light, sweet soft-serve of your childhood.

This place is everything Michael's Frozen Custard should be but isn't anymore. It's half the price as well.

So my question, beloved Madisonians of my heart, is this. Why are you not going there? Seriously. Go give this place a chance. This is the perfect kind of little gem of a restaurant and I for one would like to keep giving it my custom for a long, long time.
Parintachin

Re: Carnival or Why Are You Not Eating Here?

Postby jman111 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Funny how there's talk 'round here of trying $19 burgers, but no apparent excitement for this place which has a one pound burger (three 1/3 lb patties) for $6.95.
Sure, relatve quality of ingredients comes into play, but (c'mon!), a $19 burger?!?

I'll certainly stop in to give Carnival's a try when I'm in that area.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 pm

And for those who may be overly critical of "excessive-apostrophe-s" usage in restaurant references, the website actually identifies the name as "Carnival's Ice Cream & Food Variety"

as they say...just sayin'
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Parintachin wrote:If you like to hear the word "local", it's local food

Please define what you mean by "local food". Do they use WI produced meats, cheeses, ice cream, etc?

I looked at their website/menu: http://carnivalsmadison.com/
and it actually looks pretty good, a mom & pop alternative to fast food.

But nothing seems to indicate they use anything local. To me that is the big difference in trying to compare just about anything served at Graze, which seems to actually use local ingredients to prepare their food.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I haven't actually been there yet, but I've had their food delivered twice. Tried the dog, a burger, and the tacos and didn't enjoy any of it. The tacos, in particular, were awful. Absolutely could be that it just didn't travel well -- I would absolutely give them a shot in person, as I want to like this place -- but I was pretty unimpressed.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Parintachin » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

eriedasch wrote:
Parintachin wrote:If you like to hear the word "local", it's local food

Please define what you mean by "local food". Do they use WI produced meats, cheeses, ice cream, etc?

I looked at their website/menu: http://carnivalsmadison.com/
and it actually looks pretty good, a mom & pop alternative to fast food.

But nothing seems to indicate they use anything local. To me that is the big difference in trying to compare just about anything served at Graze, which seems to actually use local ingredients to prepare their food.

There is gonna be a day where there will be a localvore fast food place in Madison but Carnival is not it. It is however, a local business, not a chain. It's decorated with and supports local artwork. This too has merit. I'm of the opinion that what helps one of us, helps all of us. The more local restaurants we support, the more the local everything movement grows.

On that note, if I could get the investment money, I'd start a localvore fast food place is the first deserted fast food joint I could find, but I just don't think it's a viable business, yet. More local infrastructure needs to be in place before that can affordably fly.
Parintachin

Postby Bland » Fri May 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Parintachin wrote:localvore

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone else agree with me that this is one stupid-ass word?

The vore suffix means "to devour", doncha know. So carnivore means "devourer of flesh" and herbivore means "devourer of small plants." I can only conclude then that a localvore is a cannibal. (Even worse is "locavore" which translates to "devourer of moors." Yummy.)

Not sure what a suitable replacement would be, but then I also don't know why folks who eat this way feel they need their own special title.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Bland wrote:
Parintachin wrote:localvore

I can only conclude then that a localvore is a cannibal.

I think it means a devourer of Madison.

I'll have to check it out, as I love a good Chicago-style dog.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

(Even worse is "locavore" which translates to "devourer of moors." Yummy.)

I thought it meant "devourer of crazy women"....

I haven't been yet either, but soft-serve is a treat that I've been missing!
LaughingGirl

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm

P, I think you and I finally got around to stopping here at about the same time. I heartily concur. Eat here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I haven't actually been there yet, but I've had their food delivered twice. Tried the dog, a burger, and the tacos and didn't enjoy any of it. The tacos, in particular, were awful. Absolutely could be that it just didn't travel well -- I would absolutely give them a shot in person, as I want to like this place -- but I was pretty unimpressed.

I live down off the other end of Lakeside, and get carry-out from there every so often. The quality of the burgers varies a bit, but I'd say they vary from decent to pretty good. And at somewhere around $5 for a burger and fries, it is pretty cheap too.

I've seen some people who seem to like it a lot more than I do, but I'm pretty happy giving them my business.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:06 pm

The only way to have them delivered is via Straight 2 Your Door which is most definitely not cheap. But that's not Carnival's fault.

I will absolutely have to drag my ass down there soon. The menu is too appetizing for me to dismiss them based only on lukewarm, soggy delivered examples.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews