MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Meeces

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Meeces

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 pm

We use D-Con poison at our fam's vacation property. We strategically place a few boxes of those deadly little blue pellets throughout the cottage when we close up for fall. Almost always we return in spring to find the contents completely eaten and 1-2 dead mice.

I can certainly understand not wanting to use poison with pets & kids around.

That "walking the plank" method is some sick evil genius.

I fear snakes. If I spotted one of them in our house I'd call in a pro, preferably that hipster guy from TV.

Good luck Leavs.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm

supaunknown wrote:That "walking the plank" method is some sick evil genius.

No shit, hey? I stumbled upon a variation accidentally as a kid when I found a chipmunk in a garbage can that was up against a ledge on the garage wall.

We modified our "trap" over time and caught, literally, dozens and dozens of chipmunks. Mom was ecstatic- she hated them for what they did to her gardens.

You gotta get in their minds....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 pm

jman111 wrote:You gotta get in their minds....

Be careful what you wish for.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm

I learned recently that a mouse can get into the utility sink in my basement but apparently cannot get out. At least, I assume that to be the case given the drowned mouse I found after doing a load of laundry. So you might already have a better mousetrap in your house without even knowing it, Leaver.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Good luck. At least it's not rats.

Actually, the rat is nature's mortal enemy to the mouse.

I know a guy that ended up with rats in his house. They got in by crawling in through the sewer pipes, up to the second floor of his house just above the kitchen, to a spot just below his toilet that was old lead pipe. They chewed through the lead pipe to get into the house. Chewed through ancient shit-encrusted lead!

I do not believe these are your friendly white pet store rats. No sir, these are Shawshank rats and I want no part of them.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 pm

narcoleptish wrote:They chewed through the lead pipe to get into the house. Chewed through ancient shit-encrusted lead!

All they found was a muddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old rock hammer, damn near worn down to the nub.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Most entertaining thread I've read in awhile. That Pinky and the Brain shirt my kids gave me is somewhere. These trap ideas envision Acme. Yes snake-mouse shit stinks bad. I had to help son take care of snake for over a year. I hated the kills, but one time a rat bit snake, so we got over that.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 pm

i would also point out that catch and release traps, including the improvised coffee-can one, when used for small insectivores like moles and shrews and hedgehogs to a lesser extent, should be inspected every couple of hours xor loaded up with lots of food, e.g. earthworms, scads of them (in customary and imperial units a shitload or two) since they can starve to death very quickly.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Boyce Johnson » Thu May 26, 2011 12:30 am

mifflander wrote:I always have success with the old fashioned wooden snappers.

For anyone who has set that kind of trap and come back to find it unsprung and all the bait gone, you can make very minor adjustments to the little metal piece that holds the spring down. It needs to be really a hair trigger so the smallest amount of weight will trip it. The trick is to be able to set it and move it into position without tripping it yourself.

Peanut butter always works for me.

I also embed a Honey Nut Cheerio in the peanut butter. It gives the mouse something to chew on/tug at and pretty much guarantees a kill.
Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 am

Boyce Johnson wrote:I also embed a Honey Nut Cheerio in the peanut butter. It gives the mouse something to chew on/tug at and pretty much guarantees a kill.

Oooh, good one! My kids eat them all the time so it's likely the mice have developed a taste for those that have been dropped out of my reach (under the stove, fridge, etc.). Unfortunately, the clearance under those appliances is insufficient for placing a trap. Stupid appliance makers! I hate you so much!
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:23 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote: Unfortunately, the clearance under those appliances is insufficient for placing a trap.

Not necessarily. I used to get a few by putting traps behind the drawer of the range (stove, whatever you call it). There's generally no bottom on those things, just the drawer. If you pull out the drawer, you can place a trap on the floor near the back of the appliance. Then, just don't close the drawer all the way.
The little bastards always seem to have an affinity for this area (because, obviously, there always tends to be food crumbs, etc, under there).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeywW7r4LA4
The Chuck Norris of rodent control.

We use poison and pen up the cats for a week. We need to go for efficiency.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am

We’ve poked and prodded mice in the lab more than any other mammal. Surely this earns their home-dwelling brother a coupon, redeemable at time of capture, good for one SWIFT death.

Drowning sucks big time. Glue traps are pure torture: The little bastards will try to chew off their limbs to get away, get glue in their eyes, and if they don’t end up suffocating with faces glued to pad, they sit there for days scared, literally, shitless. Have a heart, huh? Snap their necks or toss ‘em outside. Or, if you are sitting on some money, and who isn't nowadays, GAS 'EM.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:Or, if you are sitting on some money, and who isn't nowadays, GAS 'EM.

Whoa. Wonder what that system will set you back.

Our qualified and experienced Rentokil technicians identify rodent activity, then install the RADAR units in appropriate locations.

What a title! So much cooler than rent-a-cop. Can you imagine the pickup line possibilities?

Woman at bar: "So ... what do you do for a living?"

Man at bar: "I'm a Rentokil technician."

Woman: "Take me. Right here. Right now!"
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am

It's on...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All