MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

facebook has friends, likes and dislikes, what about you?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

facebook has friends, likes and dislikes, what about you?

Postby joshallen » Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 am

its the simple things. despite the seemingly lightning speed at which our world is changing, human nature has not really budged in centuries, if not millennia. i think in some ways despite exponential increases in networking ability and a multitude of possible modes of communication developed in recent decades (perhaps predominantly the most recent one) we're more isolated from the outside "real" (if that's not too strong a term) world, and are thus becoming more inept at the more orthodox methods of socialization and interaction... like, i dunno... talking? there's no doubt facebook has completely redefined the meaning of the word "friend." i mean what percentage of the members of any "friend" list do you think the user calls or texts or emails on a regular basis? or even more than once a month? or once a year? i don't think its a bad thing necessarily, but when it begins to overtake and make non-digital communication near impossible or just plain awkward at its best moments, i think a problem may be developing. one can masquerade behind any web persona they can conjure up. while the widely perceived anonymity of the wwweb contributes (especially among the less savvy users, who probably make up a fair percentage of at least american users and whom do not understand that this anonymity really is merely perceived) you could maintain an on line presence that wouldn't even be recognizable to you were it personified and to confront you. we live in this new virtual world, watching reality television (both of which carry suspiciously misleading descriptive titles and both boast a frightening number of unknowing participants) and we "socialize" by sharing it all with everyone we've ever "friended." and potentially all without ever seeing them... or saying a word... or even leaving your keyboard. i can't help but to wonder about the longterm ramifications of such a world. online dating sites will not only be where you first contact that 0101010101 of your dreams, but also where you "go" to meet them for the first time and eventually spend all your time "together." i remember reading about experiments performed on infants by some tyrannical imperialist government (russia or germany at their respective "peaks"i think) in which one group of babies was given attention including touch, interaction, and then the necessary foods, vitamins, minerals etc as well; while the other group of infants was strictly given the necessary nutrition and accommodations but not held, touched or interacted with at all. the latter group of infants did not survive. no technology will ever fully replace true human interaction. if we continue to leave the reigns of this ever-growing seemingly boundless new "world" of information it will soon be dominated by self-interested purely profit-driven old men. while all this new technology sure looks cool and makes it way easier to prove how much better you are than your fellow man what has it really given us beyond that chance to step up on the jones's? we spent millions to cure male pattern baldness while thousands die a day from malaria. we're spending millions a day to oust an oppressive leader we helped to put into power while bloody revolutions aiming to empower the lowly citizens go practically unnoticed (intentionally or not) by those with the capability of supporting them. i think we need to re-examine (if we had even examined it in the first place) what we're achieving here and to what end? if we are going to be growing our technological capability at the rate we are now, we should try to do so in a responsible and positive manner. doom sayers thought the industrial revolution would destroy humanity... perhaps they were right? of course it is another Pandora's box like the discovery of nuclear power. there will always be negative potential to the same extent there is positive and only time will tell which will win out. so while we may not be able to have an enormous effect on that whatever the inevitable outcome, we CAN make decisions for ourselves about how we utilize these technologies and how we handle our interactions and relations with one another in this increasingly binary world.

p.s. i sure would like to write for a local paper, or any paper for that matter. i wrote this in about 45 minutes without research (i believe it was russia that performed those experiments) so... just sayin... joshallens@yahoo.com will get ya right to me!
joshallen

Re: facebook has friends, likes and dislikes, what about you

Postby illman808 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:37 pm

45 minutes with no research? Fox News has a spot for you. This is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.
illman808

Postby Scotty » Fri May 06, 2011 8:05 pm

I dislike this thread.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Reminds me of gozer after he's gotten into a particularly bad batch of bathtub Nembutol.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby joshallen » Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 am

its actually almost completely recycled and plagiarized. i dislike stuff too. you guys didn't recycle yours which is too bad, because they aren't very good either. smiley faces!
joshallen

Postby Nick Berigan » Sat May 07, 2011 5:51 am

Kind of like a Blaska/Rickert hybrid...
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat May 07, 2011 7:30 am

Maybe next time you can spend 50 minutes, and use the extra five minutes for adding paragraph breaks.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 am

tl;dr
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I don't know about you, but the fact that I didn't want to read anything after the first 3 sentences should probably be taken as a bad sign.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drewwilliam » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:23 am

I also have an account on facebook and I think it is a good way to communicate with our friends.
drewwilliam

Return to Technology & Video Games