MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Narrowing Willy st.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Narrowing Willy st.

Postby Marsha Rummel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 pm

The proposal is to narrow Willy St from Blount to Baldwin from 48' to 44'. Baldwin to the Yahara river is already 42" and will be reconstructed at the same width. I don't think most drivers will even notice the differences so I don't predict rush hour chaos once the street is rebuilt. The 4' change allows for a larger terrace for trees, outdoor seating for restaurants, room for bike racks and possibly benches depending on the location.

Willy St is a secondary arterial and the goal is to make it safe for all users. Every intersection will have colored pavement and some will have yield to pedestrian signs. The signals at Paterson, Ingersoll and Baldwin will have a countdown feature.

There is a tradeoff for bicyclists with a narrower street but many local/east side bikies are in support, arguing that a street made safer for pedestrians is safer for them too. They mention the nearby bike path and residential streets. Currently there are no dedicated bike lanes on Willy and that will not change. One thing neighborhood activists want to do is work on making the Cap City Trail more of a bike boulevard with stop signs for cars at non-signalized streets such as Blount, Livingston and Brearly.

There will be two test "bio-vaults" installed for storm water management. The city will also install conduits to allow for future undergrounding of utilities. Rain gardens are an option on nearby side streets, they need at least 10x10 to be effective and the new terraces won't be big enough (they are about 1.5' in some places...).

Overall I think the project has many good features and will be a huge improvement to existing conditions.

But some residents and even some business owners want to delay the project to do the undergrounding at the same time and allow for more planning and make it the best street it can be. Undergrounding is generally paid for with TIF funds. Willy St is not in TID 36 and if there was agreement to expand the boundary, it may take at least another year before the expanded district is in place.
Marsha Rummel

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 am

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/a ... 002e0.html

Here we go starting April 11th.

It'll be one-way, westbound only, the whole time! I've never seen that before on a major artery. Milwaukee st. is about to get a whole lot busier for the evening rush hour.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 am

narcoleptish wrote:http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/article_49fda404-5ebb-11e0-93d3-001cc4c002e0.html

Here we go starting April 11th.

It'll be one-way, westbound only, the whole time! I've never seen that before on a major artery. Milwaukee st. is about to get a whole lot busier for the evening rush hour.

Christ I'm glad we don't live in Wilmar anymore. I do miss it at times, but this is not one of those times.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:06 pm

We just got our neighborhood newsletter and there's a nice article reminding folks to make sure to walk and bike to Willy Street businesses as much as we can. This will work for restaurants and some shops, to an extent, but I can't see how the BP will ride this out. I suppose if everyone gets his/her gas on the way into work in the morning, they'd be okay but still take a huge hit this summer. I think Willy Street Coop will do fine, thanks to the Jenifer Street exit.
seashells

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Just so we've all got the big picture, construction on Fair Oaks started this week and continues through June.

It's going to be another long summer on the near east.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:56 pm

It's all on account of that Republican woman in Waukesha County.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

It's because there are no Kloppenburgers and only Koch. No Pepsi.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 am

snoqueen wrote:It's all on account of that Republican woman in Waukesha County.

I was going to post this yesterday but I had to leave suddenly and I forgot to hit "save".
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MJD » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Can anyone say,"Yuppie heaven." In all the communities I've lived in, when the slums begin to have that appeal, they fix it up for the yuppies. Next, much higher prices. I give the businesses that we love on Willie street just one year once it's all said and done. They'll be pushed out by all the "Starbucks" coming down the turnpike.
MJD

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 pm

People have commented on/complained about the gentrification of Willy St. for at least the past two or three decades. You are just carrying on that tradition.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 pm

MJD wrote:Can anyone say,"Yuppie heaven." In all the communities I've lived in, when the slums begin to have that appeal, they fix it up for the yuppies. Next, much higher prices. I give the businesses that we love on Willie street just one year once it's all said and done. They'll be pushed out by all the "Starbucks" coming down the turnpike.

So you just let the street turn into utter shit and it's an eclectic heaven. This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Did I miss the part where they're tearing down homes and apartment buildings as a part of this project?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm enjoying the temporary bike lane in the east bound lane.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 am

MJD wrote:Can anyone say,"Yuppie heaven." In all the communities I've lived in, when the slums begin to have that appeal, they fix it up for the yuppies. Next, much higher prices. I give the businesses that we love on Willie street just one year once it's all said and done. They'll be pushed out by all the "Starbucks" coming down the turnpike.

And not only that, this board was way better five years ago. And these kids today-- their music! It's just noise!
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu May 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Having just returned from my first rush hour experience heading east on John Nolen (post 1-way Willy), I'm reminded of one of whatshisname's (rockhopper) ideas about closing Eastwood Dr and how all traffic could possibly be routed down E Wash since it has been redone and widened. I thought about this as I idled on John Nolen just past the tunnel, waiting in the blocks long line of cars to get on E Wash.

I think traffic engineering might consider lengthening the green light from S Blair onto E Wash while Willy is closed. Not being a good idler I opted for the zig zagging E Wison/E Main/Winnebago route with about 100 other people.
Last edited by narcoleptish on Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 05, 2011 6:28 pm

The people on the 1400 block of E. Main will probably petition the city to blow up the Yahara bridge this summer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe