MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Car thefts at Princeton club West

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Car thefts at Princeton club West

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Three cars were stolen at the Princeton club. One victim lost another $10,000 in cash withdrawals done by the criminals. Trying to stay fit sure is expensive.

http://madisonwest.channel3000.com/news ... efts/50534
Thousands Stolen In Parking Lot Auto Thefts

"At least one victim had $10,000 stolen after a series of auto thefts in far west Madison parking lot. The three women were victimized last Friday morning at the Princeton Club on Watts Road, Madison police said. Officers said each victim had parked in the lot between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m..."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Car thefts at Princeton club West

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:34 pm

My goodness. Thefts committed in an unguarded parking lot used by people who can afford a gym membership.

Actually maybe I shouldn't be saying "afford." For a lot of people even the cheapest gym membership isn't in the budget. I don't know where princeton club sits on the list of fancy vs no frills fitness centers.

But to thieves, anybody in a fitness club is probably a better target than somebody parked in front of the dollar store.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 pm

I think just the contents of the cars were stolen, not the cars themselves.

I've never understood why some people are so averse to using the locker and putting a damn padlock on it. There was another incident at PC East where people hung their car keys on the board they used to have for that purpose and the juvie thieves took the keys and ransacked the cars.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

rabble wrote:My goodness. Thefts committed in an unguarded parking lot used by people who can afford a gym membership.

Actually maybe I shouldn't be saying "afford." For a lot of people even the cheapest gym membership isn't in the budget. I don't know where princeton club sits on the list of fancy vs no frills fitness centers.

But to thieves, anybody in a fitness club is probably a better target than somebody parked in front of the dollar store.

Our rates have been grandfathered in, but my family rate is a bit over $50 a month.

So, I should park at the dollar store and walk over to Princeton?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 pm

gargantua wrote:Our rates have been grandfathered in, but my family rate is a bit over $50 a month.

For two people? What would it be if it wasn't grandfathered?
gargantua wrote:So, I should park at the dollar store and walk over to Princeton?

If the parking lot isn't watched and Princeton is the only reason to be in it, I'm serious yes. People who can afford any gym have a higher chance of good stuff in the car.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am

rabble wrote:My goodness. Thefts committed in an unguarded parking lot used by people who can afford a gym membership.

You bet. How dare these people protest. What's next - maybe you can post about women who are attacked and imply they shouldn't complain if they are young and attractive?
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 am

lolagirl wrote:

You bet. How dare these people protest. What's next - maybe you can post about women who are attacked and imply they shouldn't complain if they are young and attractive?

I guess if you want to read that into my statement you got the right. Personally I think there's such a huge difference between rape and theft that it never occurred to me to equate the two of 'em but if you think they're the same, fine. Park your car wherever you want. Protest afterwards.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

It doesn't matter where one parks. If you aren't smart enough to hide valuables, take them with you, or simply leave them at home; don't be surprised when the car is broken into. People have a right to expect their property remain untouched but it's also unrealistic to think there isn't the possibility that it will also be targeted.

In this day and age it seems a no brainer to not leave valuables in plain view. People need to exercise some common sense if they don't want to be victims. This isn't a "blame the victim" discussion; it's a "the victim can work to avoid this in the future" discussion.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 am

rabble wrote:
gargantua wrote:Our rates have been grandfathered in, but my family rate is a bit over $50 a month.

For two people? What would it be if it wasn't grandfathered?
gargantua wrote:So, I should park at the dollar store and walk over to Princeton?

If the parking lot isn't watched and Princeton is the only reason to be in it, I'm serious yes. People who can afford any gym have a higher chance of good stuff in the car.

For real, two people. Breaks down to 32 bucks for me and 20 for my wife. I don't know the current rates, but I remember a friend inquired a couple of years ago and they were higher for one than what I pay for both of us combined.

All anybody'd get out of my car would be a few old maps, an icescraper, and the owner's manual. And, ironically, the proof-of-insurance card.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 am

gargantua wrote:For real, two people. Breaks down to 32 bucks for me and 20 for my wife. I don't know the current rates, but I remember a friend inquired a couple of years ago and they were higher for one than what I pay for both of us combined.

All anybody'd get out of my car would be a few old maps, an icescraper, and the owner's manual. And, ironically, the proof-of-insurance card.

That's pretty good. Snap is a little cheaper for a two-person but that's with the Dean Care reimbursement and it's definitely a no-frills club. For me the deciding factor is that it's a ten minute walk away.

Now that I've had a chance to check out that parking lot with google earth (8080 Watts Road, right?) it looks to me like there's a whole lot of other merchants et cetera in that mall, not just Princeton.

So my original premise is false. It's not dedicated to only Princeton and therefore probably coincidence that the vics were at the club. The thieves probably selected them based on the car or random choice.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 am

rabble wrote:So my original premise is false.

I'm sorry, but this sort of honesty doesn't belong here.
Please take this nonsense somewhere else! :lol:
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe