I've had a carbon monoxide detector in my basement for years, which is where it belongs. I have no gas appliances on the main floor of my house, so if a CO problem occurs, that's where it's going to be detected. I pretty much resent having to buy an unnecessary one.
Also, due to this ingenious new law, I now have four fire alarms within about eight feet of each other on the first floor. I hope I'm killed in the fire, because if/when those fuckers all go off at once the entire family will driven stark raving mad from the cacophony.
This is what I hate about one-size-fits-all legislation. I can follow a flowchart, fer chrissakes. Why assume we're all too stupid to interpret a more nuanced regulation with a handful of if/then guidelines for compliance? Thanks stupid people for yet again dragging us all down to your level.