MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dogs leashed to bikes

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Dogs leashed to bikes

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Dairylander's experience makes the strongest argument.
At face value, biking with your dog attached might seem dangerous, but that really doesn't take into account the mutual rhythm and trust that a good owner and their dog develop. Dogs, especially younguns, love a good run. Merely walking an energetic dog doesn't give them the exercise they need. I biked 'em when I was younger and the dogs LOVED it. Ya just gotta do it consistently a couple times, never let them lead, and realize when your dog needs rest & water. Of course, ideally, they wouldn't be leashed to the bike. Legalities ...
Y'ever seen dogs herding sheep? Thems some happy dogs!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:09 pm

supaunknown wrote:Dairylander's experience makes the strongest argument.
At face value, biking with your dog attached might seem dangerous, but that really doesn't take into account the mutual rhythm and trust that a good owner and their dog develop. Dogs, especially younguns, love a good run. Merely walking an energetic dog doesn't give them the exercise they need. I biked 'em when I was younger and the dogs LOVED it. Ya just gotta do it consistently a couple times, never let them lead, and realize when your dog needs rest & water. Of course, ideally, they wouldn't be leashed to the bike. Legalities ...
Y'ever seen dogs herding sheep? Thems some happy dogs!

Absolutely. There's a mutual trust between human and dog that makes biking/skating/walking/running with a dog so therapeutic. Doing any activity with your dog, especially biking, strengthens the bond between you and your pet.

She's a happy dog!
MD520

Postby butters » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Dairylander wrote:Nope, no luck involved.
Just a well-trained dog and a well-trained cyclist.
You forons love to tell other people how to live their lives.

A friend of mine has a border collie and takes her on 60-mile bike trips. Very smart and happy dog who can run forever. Unless the biker obviously has no control over their dog or the dog is not too smart, people shouldn't just assume that EVERYONE has no idea what they are doing.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 am

People shouldn't just assume that a dog wants to run for 60 miles either. Saying your dog is happy isn't an argument. Of course your dog is happy when it's outside doing something with you. Tying your dog to your bike and riding in the street or on the bike path is just needlessly risky. To the dog that is.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 am

narcoleptish wrote:People shouldn't just assume that a dog wants to run for 60 miles either. Saying your dog is happy isn't an argument. Of course your dog is happy when it's outside doing something with you. Tying your dog to your bike and riding in the street or on the bike path is just needlessly risky. To the dog that is.

"Tying your dog to your bike...." Come on, seriously? You make it seem as if the animal is being mistreated in some way. Dogs are 1) pack animals and 2) travel long distances. Granted, running your dog for 60 miles might be absurd. However, like a parents' intuition, many dog owners know what's harmful and what's not. Riding a bike with your dog isn't any different than rollerblading, running or walking with them. And the needless risk doesn't have anything to do with the dog and bike as much as it does with an inexperienced handler.

If the rider/handler wants to be a dumb-ass and ride his or her bike with their dog in a crowd of people or take up the width of a bike path, then their irresponsibility, lack of consideration, and poor judgment shouldn't reflect on those of us who are responsible, have consideration for others on the road/trail/path, and make sound decisions. Unfortunately, stereotypes are based on reality, so perhaps some people need to be more objective....

My $0.02.
MD520

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:36 am

How the fuck can the average cyclist adequately control their bike while holding a leash/trying to control their dog? Can people drive cars down the streets and attach dogs to the mirrors? Is it fair to other cyclists and peds on the bikepaths and roads? Seems like those who do this are taking up a large amount of space and probably hindering or restricting others' ability to enjoy the path. If you are on some wide mountain trail or a remote path in the woods, I think its probably fine. But then again you wouldn't need to tether your dog to the bike if that were the case.

I'm giving these tandems a very wide berth when I come upon them on Madison streets and bikepaths. And yeah, if you and your dog are all over the place, I think its pretty rude and self-involved. I'm sure that those who have very well trained pets and are extremely considerate can pull this off, but ultimately it seems like a bad idea.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:41 am

Whatever you do, don't be like Clark Griswold and tie Dinky to the back bumper.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 pm

boston_jeff wrote:How the fuck can the average cyclist adequately control their bike while holding a leash/trying to control their dog? Can people drive cars down the streets and attach dogs to the mirrors? Is it fair to other cyclists and peds on the bikepaths and roads? Seems like those who do this are taking up a large amount of space and probably hindering or restricting others' ability to enjoy the path. If you are on some wide mountain trail or a remote path in the woods, I think its probably fine. But then again you wouldn't need to tether your dog to the bike if that were the case.

I'm giving these tandems a very wide berth when I come upon them on Madison streets and bikepaths. And yeah, if you and your dog are all over the place, I think its pretty rude and self-involved. I'm sure that those who have very well trained pets and are extremely considerate can pull this off, but ultimately it seems like a bad idea.

As someone stated earlier, taken at face value biking your dog seems risky. I live on near the corner of Whitney and Regent and always bike my dog. Typically, I go on the sidewalk because it's very rare that I run into an on-coming pedestrian. Although, I tether my dog to the right side of my bike, and I will ride on the right side of the street in accordance to bike laws, and because it's common sense.

Unfortunately, Madison is full of idiots who have complete disregard for others. They feel entitled and, rather than understanding that much of what Madison has to offer is a privilege, they believe it's their right.

What's even worse is that anyone who sees me riding with my dog will think "Oh, what an idiot. How the fuck can he adequately control his bike while trying to control his dog?"

Well, 1) I don't hold the leash; it's tethered to my rear pannier rack, 2) I trust my dog because we've done similar activities since I got her. She gets in a zone and just trots alongside me, sometimes fast, other times slowly, and 3) I ride in areas where traffic is minimal and pedestrians are few and far between.

Biking with a dog should not take place on busy streets or bike paths. Who ever does that is just asking for trouble. It's bad enough that there are all kinds of traffic on the paths: slow, fast, rollerbladers, walkers, strollers, recumbents, etc.

I understand both sides of the argument, and that's why when I do ride with my dog I do in low traffic areas away from pedestrians.
MD520

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 pm

On the sidewalk.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

boston_jeff wrote:On the sidewalk.

Yes, on the sidewalk unless I do encounter a pedestrian, then I go on the street, then back on the sidewalk. Most of the time I just stay on the right side of the street. Again, in very low traffic areas with very few people.

We can agree to disagree, but don't lump me together with those that choose to ride with their dog on bike paths and on busy streets.

And if you're going to argue that not only is it risky, but that too much physical space is taken up on the bike paths then perhaps you could argue double-wide strollers, recumbents, rollerbladers, and people walking two or three abreast should be banned from the city paths....
MD520

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Yup, those people should be considerate and careful too. I am fine if peds and cyclists stay on the right side of the path. Walking/riding abreast is OK if no one is around (as is cycling with your dog at your own risk). Just refrain from these practices when there are others on the path/road (most of the time). Please.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MD520 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Yup, those people should be considerate and careful too. I am fine if peds and cyclists stay on the right side of the path. Walking/riding abreast is OK if no one is around (as is cycling with your dog at your own risk). Just refrain from these practices when there are others on the path/road (most of the time). Please.

Totally agree.
MD520

Postby dangermansix » Mon May 31, 2010 12:57 pm

I live in the PNW (former Madison resident) and I can't think of any place that allows dogs off leash. We have a local ordinance that prohibits bike-walking dogs on local paths due to a rather nasty accident that happened when a dog went after a critter and brought down the rider who wasn't wearing a helmet and who smashed their head pretty good. It seems a pretty lazy thing to do, bike-walk your dog, and endangers others on the paths. There's been a backlash against irresponsible dog owners out here and fines are now in place to prevent that sort of thing. A number of dog-walk parks have opened around town to provide a controlled area for dog walkers to allow their pets off leash. So far, it's a city-by-city thing but seems to be the trend, and is long overdue.
dangermansix

Postby KidCapitol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43 pm

I wonder how many who have posted on here with concerns towards the dogs and their health also eat dead animals.
Why do you love some animals called "pets" yet eat other ones called dinner?
Bunch of double standard hypocrisy me thinks.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

I hear vegans are very tasty animals.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking