MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Speaking of Movie Theaters, Anyone Else NOT Go Anymore?

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

A theory: People are generally quieter in larger crowds in theaters for two reasons-- a) the herd mentality of wanting to emulate those around you, and b) many people not realizing how far their voices or other disturbing behaviors carry in a mostly empty theater.

Not excusing, just throwing out some potential explanations. Then there's the possibility that they're just inconsiderate boobs that don't realize you shouldn't be the ass in public that you might be in your living room.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:04 pm

ilikebeans wrote:A theory: People are generally quieter in larger crowds in theaters for two reasons-- a) the herd mentality of wanting to emulate those around you, and b) many people not realizing how far their voices or other disturbing behaviors carry in a mostly empty theater.

Not excusing, just throwing out some potential explanations. Then there's the possibility that they're just inconsiderate boobs that don't realize you shouldn't be the ass in public that you might be in your living room.

I think both of those explanations are valid. People behave more when there are others around (herd). For ex, my "local" IMAX theater & museum has a different way of doing movies. Before the movie begins, the come in and talk about the movie, tell you that if you need to leave...exit through the back, etc... Then they come in at the end of the flick, turn the lights on, and tell people to exit through the back AND take their shit with them.

If you haven't noticed, people are lazy slobs. At most theaters, most people leave their shit behind. It's just a nice little perk of going to the movies...somebody will clean up after you. Only it's not. They clean up after you, not because it's their job, but because they have no choice. So when nobody's watching, people behave like asses. When there's a watchful eye and they're shamed into doing the right thing, they do it. Yeah, I know it's such a challenge to carry your stuff out and dump it in the garbage at the bottom of the theater. But you do it anyway. Same goes for littering in general. WI seems better than IA. Around here you see lots of crap thrown out of cars. It's just waaayyy too difficult to hang onto it and throw it in the trash at the next store you hit or when you get home.
Last edited by Bigredhunk on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Ducatista wrote:Sheesh. Next time I go to a theater I'll be a little creeped out at the thought of the seething control freaks in the audience, about to endure what they'll later declare was their last trip to the cinema.

I hate talkers and crying babies and ringtones as much as the next guy, but everything else—rustling, chewing, the smell of Twizzlers, the occasional stoned and inattentive projectionist—is part of the ritual. And even the talkers and criers and ringers won't keep me from loving that moment when the theater darkens and the show begins.

I resent the "control freaks" comment. Just treat people like you want to be treated. Be courteous and do the right thing. I don't care what people do, as long as it doesn't affect me.

There may be some hypersensitivity. A little rustling of a wrapper is the cost of business. The other things are just poor manners. Chewing, for ex. Yeah, chewing makes noise. You know what makes less noise? Chewing with your mouth closed.

I try to golden rule my public behavior. I don't want to hear someone talking in the theater. So if I have something to say, I lean over and whisper it into my girl's ear. Not that difficult. (Why people feel the need to talk constantly is another discussion) When I get popcorn, I don't want to disturb others. I open my mouth, put some in, close my mouth, & chew. Not that difficult. When the movie gets quiet, I stop chewing. Not that big of an inconvenience. Putting popcorn in your mouth and chewing with your mouth open is Slobby Slobbington behavior.

The picture should be in focus. If you plunk down $6-$12 for a show (more for an IMAX), you should be guaranteed a good experience (as much as can be controlled at any rate). Having the movie in focus is not hard to control. People being quiet is not too much to expect. I paid to hear and see the movie, not to hear others talk. There are plenty of places you can go and have a nice conversation. The movie theater isn't one of them. We're too tolerant of bad behavior.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:I resent the "control freaks" comment.

Really? Seems out of character for you to be bothered by something.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I sympathize with most complaining about the moviegoing experience, even if I'm not on board with all the specifics. Going to the movies should be relaxing and enjoyable. Too often it's stressful because people are jackasses.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Ken, we still read your movie reviews. But we watch the movies at home.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I sympathize with most complaining about the moviegoing experience, even if I'm not on board with all the specifics. Going to the movies should be relaxing and enjoyable. Too often it's stressful because people are jackasses.

Giddeyup!

All it takes it one chain making a few changes. Maybe it's time to start a lobby.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm

A theater lobby? They are fun places to wait and talk, but exist already.

For me it's not so much rude noisy theater goers. It's the ticket cost, commute to the theater, especially on a cold winter night, the cost and low quality of drinks and snacks, and having to sit there two hours or more.

Compare that to watching in the comfort of my home in my casual clothes or pj's on my comfy couch, with good drinks and snack, and being able to pause, stop, or switch channels whenever I want.

Watching at home beats the theater in most ways except you can't see the newest releases.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I sympathize with most complaining about the moviegoing experience, even if I'm not on board with all the specifics. Going to the movies should be relaxing and enjoyable. Too often it's stressful because people are jackasses.
Amene!

I think Sundance would do well to show the opening sequence to Tampopo as the prelude to each screening. Such gangsters I could live with.

At my last viewing, I couldn't help but think that – since the units behind me were so intent on shoveling popcorn into their gaping maws – I might perhaps assist them with my decidedly more efficient input device. (I can palm a basketball, but what good is that, really? This my chance to help.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 pm

fennel translator
fennel wrote:units

people
fennel wrote:shoveling

feeding
fennel wrote:gaping maws

open mouths
fennel wrote:my decidedly more efficient input device

fennel's (big) hand

Honestly, the nerve of those cowpeople! Eating POPCORN at a MOVIE THEATER!

Bigredhunk wrote:When I get popcorn, I don't want to disturb others. I open my mouth, put some in, close my mouth, & chew. Not that difficult. When the movie gets quiet, I stop chewing. Not that big of an inconvenience. Putting popcorn in your mouth and chewing with your mouth open is Slobby Slobbington behavior.

Word. I try to adhere to this too. Especially for emotionally charged scenes. And minimal popcorn tub shaking.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 am

Watch out you chewer shushers!

Latvian Moviegoer Shot, Killed In Popcorn Dispute

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/2 ... 26151.html
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies