MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers v. Bears - Round 2

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Packers v. Bears - Round 2

Postby keelio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Stating right up front that I'm a Bear fan and this upcoming game was the one and only I had circled on the calendar for the 2010-2011 season. Going into regular season play, I fully expected this would essentially be the Bears' super bowl - given the prognostication that left them at the bottom of the division and the Packers on top. Lo and behold, here we are headed into the final game with the Bears holding both the division title and the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs. Lovie seems to be indicating that he'll be playing his starters and they still have motivation to win - i.e. sweeping the entire division, which would actually be pretty cool. I'm hoping they show to play, and make a game of it despite the risk of injury to key players. In my mind the decision to toss that last game to the Pack in the 2006-2007 season took away their edge and contributed to their demise in the Super Bowl.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers v. Bears - Round 2

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Well you don't have to worry about a repeat Super Bowl performance. The Bears have been the recipients of every ounce of good luck in the NFL this season while the Pack have gotten most of the bad. The Bears are a couple bounces, flags and bad calls away from not being anywhere near the playoffs. The pack hasn't lost a game by more than 4 points while losing 6 starters to IR along with countless backups. This Sunday the Pack is going to expose the Bears for what they are: Mediocre at best.
It's on.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Bring it on, Bear boy.

I want to see Lovie bring the A-team. I want Urlacher running around like some kind of amphetamine-crazed wolverine. I want the whole Bears organization to give their absolute all to win this game; it will make the sense of hopeless futility that more devastating when the Packers, with scornful ease, hand them their ursine asses on a giant communal plate.

The Cutlery will be tarnished. Devin Hester will meet Atari Bigby, and will regret the introduction. Heads will roll.

Bloodbath in Lambeau. Hear my words, Lovie, and despair.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Marvell wrote:Bring it on, Bear boy.

I want to see Lovie bring the A-team. I want Urlacher running around like some kind of amphetamine-crazed wolverine. I want the whole Bears organization to give their absolute all to win this game; it will make the sense of hopeless futility that more devastating when the Packers, with scornful ease, hand them their ursine asses on a giant communal plate.

The Cutlery will be tarnished. Devin Hester will meet Atari Bigby, and will regret the introduction. Heads will roll.

Bloodbath in Lambeau. Hear my words, Lovie, and despair.

I'm with you in theory, if not in the actual methodology. Atari Bigby has already been ruled out of Sunday's game and may be placed on IR. In Charlie Peprah we trust.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Hysterical... like the kid with blood gushing from his nose telling the bully off after he's safely down the block and around the corner. Big talkers.

Yep, the Pack gonna whoop the Bears, just like in the first meeting this season. Uh-huh.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

just like in the first meeting this season.

Did you watch the first meeting? Not only did the Packers beat the Bears they also managed to beat the Packers. 18 penalties and they lost on a last second field goal? Yep that's some good footballin there Bears.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:49 pm

This is exactly why the Bears need to show for real - beating the Pack at Lambeau to sweep the division is probably the only way they'll earn a bit of respect headed into the playoffs. Even in the that scenario, I'm sure excuses will be made. And, sure, being relatively injury-free goes a long way...but luck doesn't just fall out of the sky week in and week out. When you set the stage by being well-prepared and well-balanced - i.e.: play all three phases of the game decently - good things happen.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

the only way they'll earn a bit of respect headed into the playoffs.

Since when do they need to "earn" respect? Can't they put Urlacher in front of a microphone and let him tell everyone how the Bears are the best team in football?

Glad there is some drama in this game. The Pack/Bear rivalries just haven't been great in the last decade or so with the Pack up when the Bears are down and the Bears up while the Pack wasn't as up.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:02 pm

As a Bears fan I'm totally jacked that in terms of the playoff picture, this game matters for the Packers and really not so much for the Bears. Looking forward to the Bears playing the role of spoiler. Or spoilers, whichever is correct.

Also, I love the whole, "lucky" argument. A lucky 11-4 team? I don't buy it. I could see them being called lucky when they were 1-0.

That all said, I'm operating under the assumption the Bears will not make it to the Super Bowl. But a first round bye doesn't hurt their chances one bit.
Last edited by Right Bower on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am

fisticuffs wrote:Since when do they need to "earn" respect? Can't they put Urlacher in front of a microphone and let him tell everyone how the Bears are the best team in football?

The monosyllabic monster of the middle of Lovie's cursed Tampa Two defense is not exactly the best public speaker on the Bears. P-Nut Tillman would be a more entertaining candidate for it, or Devin Hester if it's not really important to be able to understand everything he says.

As far as luck goes I wonder if Bears fans might have been more lucky in the long run if the Bears had fallen flat and gotten Lovie, Angelo, and Phillips fired. But that's just being negative. We'll have this banner season to reflect upon while Lovie leads 'em to losing records for the foreseeable future after he gets his contract extension. And hey! Another five or ten drafts and Angelo will probably find a viable left tackle! Even Dick Jauron had one 13-3 season.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:22 am

Face it kids, Lovie Smith said his number one goal is to beat the Packers and he is 6-3 against them. He is reporting that starters will play Sunday:

"Even if the Eagles lost to Minnesota on Tuesday night, Bears coach Lovie Smith plans to play his starters against the Packers. And the reality is that it’s very unlikely the Vikings and Joe Webb will help out the Bears Tuesday."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tter-what/

I hope that the Packers will pull it out, but I think it will be close and MM's record in close games is not good.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:18 am

As much as the red-faced polka-dopes up in Green Bay would love to see another Charles Martin incident, the odds will be slim as Lovie will pull his starters early in the 3rd quarter. Too bad, another rope-a-dope of the Meat Packers would be fun.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 am

Stella and Ned love the term rope-a-dope.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Again, I say - bring it, Bears. Let's see whose kung fu is best.

Tramon Williams, BJ Raji, Desmond Bishop and Rogers will all be enraged by their respective Pro Bowl snubs - and rightfully so. Each will be driven by the desire to prove to the football world the injustice of their exclusion.

And, as has been mentioned, Charlie Peprah. That's-a spicy Peprah!

The carnage, although satisfying in a demonic sort of way, will be hideous to witness; parents should therefore weigh carefully whether they want to risk permanently scarring their children before letting them watch the game.

Some shit can't be unseen.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Face it kids, Lovie Smith said his number one goal is to beat the Packers and he is 6-3 against them. He is reporting that starters will play Sunday...

Actually 7 wins to 5 losses vs. the Pack. He started coaching in 2004. As Ned states, the No. 1 goal when he came onboard was ending G.B.'s decade of dominance, best exemplified by that halloween horror in '94...still sends a chill down my spine. His other two goals were North Division titles and a Super Bowl appearance. Done x3 and done x1, maybe x2 in another month or so. Three division titles in six years is pretty respectable. And two super bowl appearances would be priceless. Overachieving rocks.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking