MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus Architecture Reviews

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Isthmus Architecture Reviews

Postby cnc2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I applaud the Isthmus for publishing an architectural review (The Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery: A building for the ages, 12-02-2010). That is a rare and much needed critique around here. However, while it is interesting to hear an architectural review written by a layperson for an audience of laypeople, it would be more instructive and would help elevate thinking about design if you found a critic with more design knowledge. How about a set up similar to your food reviews where you have a more exacting critic (Raphael Kadushin) review higher end restaurants?
cnc2

Re: Isthmus Architecture Reviews

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

It'd conflict with my job, so you gotta read it here where I can post anonymously.

More seriously, we've had some good discussions about architecture on the forum and I'm sure we'll have more. Stick around.

I definitely think architecture is as worthy of high-quality review as food or music, but to be fair: how many interesting new buildings go up around here on a yearly basis? Isthmus could hardly keep an architecture reviewer busy week to week.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Please don't duplicate Kadushin's restaurant reviews for architecture. I really don't need to read about whether a given building is an authentic representation of the style based on the reviewer's over-generalized personal experience.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:08 am

I used to enjoy the WSJ's Home section when it routinely covered interesting homes and apartments around town. That section has become a monthly loop of stories on plantings, closet organizers, and linens.

I think there's room somewhere for a somewhat regular feature on local architecture and interesting remodel jobs.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com