Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Brink Boys To Open Retro Tavern On W Main

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Brink Boys To Open Retro Tavern On W Main

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 am

Retro Tavern slated for long-vacant space just off Capitol Square
Sounds decent enough, but the article doesn't mention anything about what makes 'Retro Tavern' "retro". Retro as in anything and everything retro? 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's? Or is it nothing more than a name that simply insinuates a theme, when in reality it won't have anything to differentiate itself from other bars?

Personally I think the Madcity could use a 1980's themed bar like Cans.
Then again it's kind of hard to imagine the proprietors of The Brink Lounge hawking cheap cans of beer.
Of course nothing would be more painful than college kids/twenty-somethings infiltrating the place and singing along to eighties tunes on the jukebox in some kitschy or tongue-in-cheek sort of way. Please quarantine that crowd to Nitty Gritty and Karaoke Kid.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: Brink Boys To Open Retro Tavern On W Main

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm surprised at all the opposition Retro Tavern is getting.
I mean c'mon, that site has been vacant since 1998! I mean what else do you expect to open there other than a bar, on a block of bars, music venues, and a "massage parlor"? A day care center?

There seems to be a lot of this nonsense going around lately, with residents with misplaced frustration, distrust and disapproval and whining for the sake of whining, and/or Wisconsin cities overvaluing long-vacant properties.
i.e.; The Milwaukee licensing committee denying the owners of Silk from opening a strip club in a shitty area in Walkers Point last month.

I think it's important that neighborhood residents and the ALRC committee are able to differentiate proposed nightclubs/restaurants/bars meant to attract a slightly older clientele from party-town college-age binge-drinking bars.
And preemptively labeling Retro Tavern as one of the latter is being trigger happy and definitely missing the mark.

Even if you want to reduce bar density, you don't deny places like this. You shut down the bars with a lot of police calls and underage drinking, which I'm sure there's no shortage of downtown.

Don't let overactive activists derail Downtown business planning
I agree! And I had no idea that Milwaukee based Lucille's wanted to open a Madison location 3 years ago, but withdrew their application in the face of opposition. I mean Lucille's is no Ivory Room :roll: :lol: Zzzzz [/sarcasm], but I think it would've been a nice addition.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 am

If you don't want to live near bars and other forms of nightlife, then don't live downtown. It is the same principle as not living next to railroad tracks if you don't like trains, or near an airport if you don't like the sound of air traffic.

You choose to live in a particular area because you like the nature of that area. If you move there and then expect it to change.....I think you're a fool.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I agree, furthermore it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to oppose it when there are already, what, six establishments with alcohol licenses on that stretch of W Main? And this proposed establishment is in the middle of the block. That won't change anything for the worse. And if anyone believes that the block could morph into something other than a block of bars at this point is delusional.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I agree, furthermore it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to oppose it when there are already, what, six establishments with alcohol licenses on that stretch of W Main? And this proposed establishment is in the middle of the block. That won't change anything for the worse. And if anyone believes that the block could morph into something other than a block of bars at this point is delusional.

I'll add my agreement. I live downtown. I have no problem with this proposal. I like being able to walk to bars and restaurants. I'll take the homeless and drunk students. The suburbs can keep their children screaming on playgrounds, lawnmower/leaf blower noise on evenings and weekends and crappy chain restaurants.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Hmph, I guess I'm the only one interested in the prospect of a "retro" tavern here on the forum.

They better get things in motion soon, 5 years now before I park my flying Delorean in the alley behind Cafe 80's (see video) ...errr Retro Tavern, whereby after exiting the Retro Tavern you might spot me downtown on a borrowed hoverboard.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 am

Here's who is opposing:
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 71482.html

1. There's noise and throwing up in the area, according to this guy. Even if that were true, it's based on bars that have been there for years. Is adding one more going to significantly increase the frequency of these alleged incidents?

2. Been to the Brink Lounge? Real frat bar, that place. eyeroll

3. Been downtown lately? Last night, every place was packed to the gills AND there's not even a home football game this weekend. People like to eat and drink downtown. Hallelujah to that! Remember ten years ago when nothing was going on downtown?

Guys like Baskerville and the other condo people have made money on the notion that moving downtown puts you right in the middle of activity. Well, this is the activity. What makes it fun is also what makes it occasionally loud at 2 am.

But why isn't anyone calling B.S. on this Baskerville guy? Who wanders down that way at bar time? The guys going back to jail, like Otis from Andy Griffith? Are all of the occupants of the few blocks of West Wilson drunk as skunks? Of course not. It's rare and should have been predicted by every single resident of that building who bought a condo knowing all about the bars on West Main St.

Did these people oppose Brocach? Graze? Cooper's?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:44 am

From today's WSJ; "Matt and Curtis Brink plan to open Club One Eleven, a lounge and full-service casual restaurant, in a three-story building at 111 W. Main St., in 2011. Matt Brink said neighborhood concerns about use of the space have been addressed, and they expect final approval of their plans by the Alcohol License Review Committee in December.
The last occupant of the building, which was Que Sera, and before that, in the late 1970s and '80s, the Going My Way gay bar. Matt Brink said they hope to knock down one of its brick walls to allow more natural light to enter. Otherwise, he said the building is in good condition and has a functional commercial kitchen. The Club will be geared toward people in their 20s and 30s, and Downtown workers."

So what happened to the "Retro Tavern" name? Apparently it was nothing more than a disposable name and devoid of theme.
Not as excited now.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 pm

MadMind75 wrote:So what happened to the "Retro Lounge" name? Apparently it was nothing more than a disposable name and devoid of theme.
Not as excited now.

It was just a working title. They came up with something better.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

While I'll agree that "Retro Tavern" was pretty generic sounding, a name with the address in it isn't exactly the pinnacle of creativity either.
So, let me get this straight, there is no "retro" anything when it comes to Club One Eleven?
Last edited by MadMind75 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

MadMind75 wrote:So, let me get this straight, there is no "retro" anything when it comes to Club One Eleven?

Did the article you referenced say that?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Average Joe wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:So, let me get this straight, there is no "retro" anything when it comes to Club One Eleven?

Too hoity-toity for me (thank you, Eugene Parks). I'm more a Club 111 kinda guy.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm

fou cerveau est un âne sourd-muet
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 am

Average Joe wrote:

No, and honestly they've said nothing so far about what will make the bar unique and set it apart from others on W Main and The Square. I was simply referring to them removing the "Retro" from the title, which, in and of itself didn't indicate much of anything to begin with. I was mostly projecting on what "retro" may have meant to me.

Not to mention the statement; "The Club will be geared toward people in their 20s and 30s, and Downtown workers." doesn't do much to establish anything apart from the norm. Ok, so you'll basically be catering to everyone who already goes to bars downtown. Great! Way to set yourselves apart!
Nobody has the guts to actually try anything different in this town! I can understand needing to cater to an established base to make money and keep the place afloat if you're a startup, but if anyone has the bankroll to try something new, it's probably the guys associated with the Brink name. That being said, I have a feeling The Brink Lounge is a real money pit.

Average Joe wrote:fou cerveau est un âne sourd-muet

Joe souffre des illusions de grandeur. Joe a beaucoup de miles en avant pour atteindre la moyenne.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am

gargantua wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

Too hoity-toity for me (thank you, Eugene Parks). I'm more a Club 111 kinda guy.

I prefer Club Eleventy One.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails