MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 pm

No shit, supa.
Sure wish we were doing our usual pre-Movie Night BBQing tonight.
I never even got to try their chicken!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 pm

The pulled pork at Smoky Jon's is persuasive.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I never even got to try their chicken!

And you never would have! (Pete's didn't do chicken.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:19 pm

they offered it as on occasional special. he called it yard bird.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks, depin.
Yeah -- it would come up in my Facebook feed that they were having chicken. Then I'd go there to eat and get the ribs.

I thought there'd be more time!!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:50 am

supaunknown wrote:Now that Pete is gone, the bbq experts are crawling out of the smoked embers to remind us how bad the bbq is here in WI and tell us to go places far away to get decent bbq. Yes, ok, fuck you, thanks. Let me mourn.

You sound angry about something??

I just stated that the BBQ that I have had up here (aside from Pete's) has been sub par.
I'm not a fan of grilled meat smothered in sauce. Some people are.. it's a personal preference.
Now, I'm always opened to trying good BBQ, so I would love to hear recommendations for places that offer BBQ similar to Pete's.
okiebp

Postby babelfish » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 pm

the only place i've had BBQ like Pete's is at Rendezvous in Memphis

what if we joined together, bought a smoker, and tried our hand at this BBQ thing ourselves? success in the restaurant biz is all about fulfilling a need, and keeping the overhead low. imagine selling the best BBQ around out of your garage, or a tiny retail space. can anyone afford to take a year off work and travel the country learning the art of BBQ?
babelfish

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 am

babelfish wrote:the only place i've had BBQ like Pete's is at Rendezvous in Memphis

what if we joined together, bought a smoker, and tried our hand at this BBQ thing ourselves? success in the restaurant biz is all about fulfilling a need, and keeping the overhead low. imagine selling the best BBQ around out of your garage, or a tiny retail space. can anyone afford to take a year off work and travel the country learning the art of BBQ?

Part of it is demand too. Is there enough long-term demand in Madison? I think there's a Food Network-fueled BBQ "bubble" fad that may very well pop in places like Madison where BBQ isn't a tradition.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 pm

do you think Madison is too healthy for a BBQ place to succeed?
babelfish

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I don't think Madison is too healthy for BBQ. There is plenty of bad-for-you food in this town. (and really, BBQ is not really all that unhealthy, but never mind...)

I think PPP's location was terrible, I think they had a rough start with their service that probably drove down repeat business, and who KNOWS how much rent they were shelling out on that space?

I miss PPP so much. But I think a lot of us had serious doubts about its viability from the start.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh this breaks my heart. I loved going there! Only managed to make it all the way to the west side 4 times, but each time everyone I was with loved it. Alas, all I have to remember it by is a t-shirt. But damn.

Sampled some pulled pork from Brick House BBQ at the food and wine show last weekend. It was like eating something previously frozen from a bag compared to Pete's.

Sad. Sad. Sad.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby tonyday » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:00 pm

daveso wrote:we had takeout from PPP about 2 months ago. Really didn't think it was that good. My son thought the brisket tasted like plain roast beef.

Agreed. I tried PPP's a couple months ago after reading the reviews on this forum. I ordered the brisket and had high expectations. It was disappointing. No smoke flavor, no smoke ring, and very dry. It reminded me of my grandmother's Sunday roast that had been 'warming' since Friday. Additionally, the service was lacking. And the lack of signage was astounding. None on Mineral Point Road and minimal storefront advertising...I knew about the place and still drove past it twice before finding it. It seems like PPP got the proverbial cart before the horse on this one.
tonyday

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues