MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Tornado: changes not for the better?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Tutto's

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:
kulgar wrote:And how anyone with taste buds can eat "Italian" at Paisan's is beyond me. I've eaten at four of their five locations (through history, they only have one location)

I know of only three locations in their history. Frances Street, University Square and the current location.

Paisan's was on University Ave. prior to the construction of University Square. They were temporarily located in Porta Bella's basement level until the construction was completed.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tornado: changes not for the better?

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Here's a change for the better: Bob Hemauer can often be found holding court at the Tornado bar these days. Stop in for a Hemauertini.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tutto's

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
kulgar wrote:And how anyone with taste buds can eat "Italian" at Paisan's is beyond me. I've eaten at four of their five locations (through history, they only have one location)

I know of only three locations in their history. Frances Street, University Square and the current location.

Paisan's was on University Ave. prior to the construction of University Square. They were temporarily located in Porta Bella's basement level until the construction was completed.

It seems to me that Porta Bella and Paisan's shared the Frances Street location when I got here (1970) and continued to do so for some time. I know one of the owners, I'll ask about the history.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby mvalfierno » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I finally managed to make it back to Tornado last night. This was it, the make-or-break for me. If things were not better, I'd be unlikely to return again.

I have to admit to some nervousness. Leaving behind a favorite restaurant (and bar) was not something I was looking forward to.

Lucky for me the dinner and service rocked. :-)

French onion soup was great. The two filets were perfectly done @ medium rare, and tasty. The potatoes were mediocre, but who cares?

Looking forward to more happy returns.

Mark.
mvalfierno

Paisan's

Postby kulgar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:37 am

Two locations on University before the Porta basement, back to University at U Square, and now Wilson St makes five for Paisan's.

Any restaurant that only serves fruit bombs earns my wrath. I'm an "acid head" (I don't mean the 60s kind) who wants wines to complement the food, not be appetizer, main course and dessert all poured into my glass.

It only takes a few Old World style wines to complete a wine list, I'm not asking them to give up all their fruit bombs which young Americans typically love (most likely from lack of experience). Most restaurants do have a more complex selection allowing for different palates, but some owners inflict their tastes upon the populace and very few cusomters kvetch about it. How many California merlots and Chilean cabs do you need?
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 pm

The wife and I hit Smoky's for dinner when we were in town a few weeks ago, and a few nights later went to the Tornado Bar for some wine and dessert. Both were excellent. Neither place is Mortons or Flemings, but they don't try to be.

The closest steakhouse to where we live now is in Boston, so we definitely miss both those places.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:08 pm

buckyor wrote:The closest steakhouse to where we live now is in Boston, so we definitely miss both those places.

Getting tired of lobster?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Getting tired of lobster?

We actually had lobster Saturday night. Three soft-shell lobsters and a pound of mussels for about $17. But it's nice to go out for a steak now and again as well.

I've since realized that we have a Longhorn about a mile from our house, and Bugaboo Creek about two miles. I guess that tells you all you need to know about how I feel about those places. Although in fairness, they do make a pretty damn good margarita at Longhorn. The steaks, not so much.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm

mvalfierno wrote:Lucky for me the dinner and service rocked.

That's great you had a better experience this time! I have the best memory of the Tornado, in 2009, sitting at the bar and Dan Aykroyd walks in. I couldn't believe my eyes! He hands the bartender some glass bottle and leaves. Later on the Isthmus I find out he was promoting his new Crystal Head vodka. That place is a classic!

Anyone have a favorite steak place outside of Madison? (1855 in Cottage Grove?) How about a recommendation for a good butcher in Madison besides Ken's? I just can't deal with the construction on Monona Dr.
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:39 pm

city2countrygal wrote:

That's great you had a better experience this time! I have the best memory of the Tornado, in 2009, sitting at the bar and Dan Aykroyd walks in. I couldn't believe my eyes! He hands the bartender some glass bottle and leaves. Later on the Isthmus I find out he was promoting his new Crystal Head vodka. That place is a classic!

I'm going to need confirmation on this story from another source, one would think Dan Aykroyd would have "fuck you" money by this point to not have to be hocking liquor in the midwest.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
city2countrygal wrote:

I'm going to need confirmation on this story from another source, one would think Dan Aykroyd would have "fuck you" money by this point to not have to be hocking liquor in the midwest.

No, it's true. He was at Woodman's West. I bought a signed bottle for one of my groomsmen last summer. And the night he was here, I saw the big Crystal Head box truck drive up to the Square as I was getting takeout from The Bayou (which has three bottles of the Head with underlighting).

Take note, dbc--it's his brand of vodka. He owns it.

http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/ ... dne,25558/

http://nadinegoff.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... nt-to.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:No, it's true.

Thanks for the verification TheBookPolice!

How about a recommendation on a good butcher in Madison? I love the meat and seafood at the Brennans locations (though not a fan of Jacobson Bros in particular), but they are way out of my way (I'm southeast of Madtown).
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm

city2countrygal wrote:How about a recommendation on a good butcher in Madison? I love the meat and seafood at the Brennans locations (though not a fan of Jacobson Bros in particular), but they are way out of my way (I'm southeast of Madtown).

Stoddard's in Cottage Grove?

/threadjack
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 pm

city2countrygal wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:No, it's true.

Thanks for the verification TheBookPolice!

How about a recommendation on a good butcher in Madison? I love the meat and seafood at the Brennans locations (though not a fan of Jacobson Bros in particular), but they are way out of my way (I'm southeast of Madtown).

Jenifer Street Market. Excellent meat and you can load up the freezer with their weekly specials.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:48 am

Those are great suggestions Goober and TheBookPolice (sorry about the threadjack, all the talk about steaks got me going)! Any feedback on Jim’s on Northport, anyone? I guess I should just a start a best butcher in Madison thread ... I also thought Knoche looked promising?
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews