MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Always Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Always Good

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Rachelz wrote:And frankly, the Great Dane downtown. I never think of it as a great restaurant, but when I have to go there for lunch, I never dread it.

I agree. It's not the best food, but if you have guests in town and want a lot of different options, not a bad place. The seating is relatively quick compared to other places(sans football weekend) but I've always liked the food.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Rachelz wrote:Cafe La Bellitalia. Always consistently great.

Others agree! A friend flew in the other night and requested traditional Italian. Her flight got in at 8:30. We soon realized finding a traditional Italian restaurant open/serving past 9 pm was a bit of a feat on a Madison Monday night. My boyfriend found La Bellitalia on Urbanspoon-- miraculously close to the airport, open until 10, and had much better online feedback than Benvenuto's.

Neither of us are big on Italian but everyone at the table was really impressed by Cafe La Bellitalia. The food tasted super fresh and homemade, the service was lovely, and the prices were reasonable.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby eeyore » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Greenbush is another of the few good places that serves late -- 11pm M-Th, midnight fridays and saturdays.
eeyore

Postby Kovalic » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:22 am

barney wrote:Lulu's hummus is the best in the city, imho.

Absolutely agree.
Kovalic

Postby mock_talks » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I went to Old Fashioned last night and was quite disappointed...I thought they were supposed to have a good fish fry?! The drinks were good, the cheese curds were good; mac n cheese and burgers all seemed to be up to par for those in our group that chose to stray from the nightly special. I really wish I would have tried something else. To be honest, the fish was so bad and after such a long wait ; I'm not sure I would go back to give them a second chance. Which is sad to say, because overally I really like the place and I wanted to like the food.

It's really not that hard to make fried fish, so I'm kind of wondering the overall level of ability of the kitchen. I think we had 3 combo plates (cod, walleye, and lake perch) and 1 cod plate at our table. The cod and walleye came out basically black, I can't believe a cook would even put them on a plate to serve them and that a waitstaff would actually carry the plate proudly to a table. Amazing to me. I have worked in the restaurant industry and I understand things are busy and whatnot, but its truly not acceptable to serve food that is undoubtedly improperly cooked. I wish we would have sent it back, but unfortunately, I didn't want to ruin the good vibe of the overall evening. The perch thankfully wasn't "blackened", but did nothing for me. The dipping sauce and coleslaw sounded intriguing, but to me didn't add any excitement to an already disappointing plate.

I can say I'd much rather run over to the Beachhouse in McFarland for a really nice piece of walleye or perch for less money and WAY better quality and overall appeal.
mock_talks

Postby billbailey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 am

The Gyoza and Wonton Lo Mein (or Tong Mein)are always superlative at Wah Kee. David's Jamaican has also never let me down. Sardine and Marigold are consistently great as well.
billbailey

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews