MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Bub's Burger Joint

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Bub's Burger Joint

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Does anyone know anything about this? It's in the spot where El Pescador used to be. According to the signs in the windows, it is open, but their web site is nothing but a Go Daddy placeholder at the moment, and the only *mention* of it I can find is a blog wondering what it is.

Hopefully they are better at service than Full of Bull...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bub's Burger Joint

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm close to there and good food in that neighborhood is much needed. I'll try it soon cause I like meat.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I'm close to there and good food in that neighborhood is much needed. I'll try it soon cause I like meat.

We got as far as the parking lot today, but chickened out and ended up at Dexter's instead.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 am

The real question is, can Bub's make your Bub Bub's bounce?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby slacker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Basically a knock-off of Five Guys Burgers and Fries, minus the peanuts and obnoxious interior treatment. Cases of potatoes and oil in the dining area. Hand cut fries. Orders served in brown paper bags. Menu nearly identical to Five Guys.

They do make a decent burger. Nicely griddled. Good crust. Decent seasoning. Served on a sesame potato roll, unless I am mistaken.

I was hoping for a slew of unusual topping options.

One complaint is the grilled onions. They are more like sweated onions. No carmelization at all. Also missing? Malt vinegar.

Good on the whole. Certainly for a restaurant in its first week.
slacker

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 pm

slacker wrote:Basically a knock-off of Five Guys Burgers and Fries, minus the peanuts and obnoxious interior treatment. Cases of potatoes and oil in the dining area. Hand cut fries. Orders served in brown paper bags. Menu nearly identical to Five Guys.

They do make a decent burger. Nicely griddled. Good crust. Decent seasoning. Served on a sesame potato roll, unless I am mistaken.

I was hoping for a slew of unusual topping options.

One complaint is the grilled onions. They are more like sweated onions. No carmelization at all. Also missing? Malt vinegar.

Good on the whole. Certainly for a restaurant in its first week.

That's a good assessment. We went there for lunch today. The actual patties are not dissimilar to, say, Culver's. I prefer what I guess you would call cooked to order burgers (say, Fuddrucker's), but it was pretty good for what it was. Having sweet potato fries was also nice. And they indeed seemed to be pretty on the ball for just opening.

Maybe I'll scan in the menu later. There are ribeye and chicken sandwiches in addition to the burgers and hot dog.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Let's see if this works:

"Bona Fide" is 2 patties, "Single BF" is, obviously, 1.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Went there today. It was pretty good. I agree that it was very similar to 5 guys in it's presentation. I'd have to say the meat was better, fries were about the same. I can't say that I'd tell anyone to drive across town to eat here, but if you're in the neighborhood and hungry it's not a bad option.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:46 pm

The prices seem reasonable.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Average Joe wrote:The prices seem reasonable.

Maybe double check they are charging you correctly. I thought my bill seemed a bit high when we went, and checking again, they charged me $2 more than they should have. Not sure how that happened.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 pm

lukpac wrote:
Average Joe wrote:The prices seem reasonable.

Maybe double check they are charging you correctly. I thought my bill seemed a bit high when we went, and checking again, they charged me $2 more than they should have. Not sure how that happened.

Ha, looking back at the menu, I realized I was actually undercharged by about a dollar. Maybe it was my winning smile :D
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:20 pm

We went back for lunch today. I think some of it was the fact that I got toppings (cheddar, grilled onions and mushrooms) this time (plain last time), but IMO it was better today. The meat still had a hint of pink and wasn't simply "well well done". And they charged me correctly...

A friend got the walnut burger (on special, as it was the other day) and said it was good.

Not sure if I prefer the regular fries or the sweet potato fries.

So, yeah, not mind blowing, but definitely worth it if you're in the area.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Bub, meet Bub.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 am

I'm sort of hoping to see Wolverine slinging fries behind the counter.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Bub's Burger Joint

Postby Logjam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:59 am

Picked up a burger and fries to go the other night. You fill out a little checklist of what you want on your burger just like the old Radical Rye order slip. Hot peppers are a choice which is nice, not many places offer that other than Dotty's.

The burger took a little abuse on the trip so its hard to say how it well it had been assembled but one thing I didn't like was there was a huge piece of green leaf lettuce on the burger sticking out about 2" on all sides of the bun. Its a minor quibble but something that bothers me and could be an indication that it was just slapped together although they weren't busy at the time. That is probably a dumb thing to complain about. The burger itself was very good, no complaints on the flavor and it was cooked good for me (little bit pink).

The fries are excellent, skin on, crispy and very salty. That is how I like fries. Really perfect. I don't dig sweet potato fries so I didn't try those.

Haven't been inside 5 Guys but this place looks a lot nicer on the inside - 5 Guys always looks way too bright and garish, Bub's has a warmer interior with old wooden doors and leaded stained glass pieces hung on the walls. Plenty of seating.

Its in the neighborhood for me so I will definitely be back. The biggest drawback in my book is that often when I'm in the mood for a burger I want a cold tap beer and some type of sporting event on a TV in front of me. That is the complete burger experience for me so I won't be back as often as I would if it were a bar. I don't remember if they had bottled beer but I am assuming they do. Maybe they have tap beer as well, I wasn't looking.

Recommended and fingers crossed that they get enough support to stay open. I loved El Pescador and am surprised they didn't last, hopefully this isn't one of those locations that never catches on.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues