MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Summerfest?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Summerfest?

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:23 am

Nick Berigan wrote:Would have gone for Levon Helm but I didn't make it back from my vacation on time.

I caught the last two songs in a late-night stage roundup. Made me wish I could have been there the whole night.

I arrived during The Weight, which was genuinely supposed to be their last song. In what was the only true, non-expected encore I've ever seen at Summerfest, the band was done, house lights were up, exit tunes were going, roadies tentatively started to take equipment apart, and the crowd was having none of it. A full house stood and made as much noise as possible for damn near two minutes before the lights went down again for one last tune.

Truly magical.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:13 am

By the way, DEVO kicked ass. For as long as they've been around they still got their shit together.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 am

keysrawk wrote:And Rush sucks. Where is the thread for that? Sign me up.

I love when people post stupid shit like this; now I know that nothing you ever have or ever will post has any credibility whatsoever.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Went on Thursday. Saw (in reverse chronolgical order):

- Offspring. Hard to tell how they were, as the sound system was not up to the massive crowd they drew. Lots of audience participation, with the exception of the sleeping 1 year old whose mom pushed him out of the front third of the audience in a stroller about an hour in, at 11 PM.

- Shooting Star - Awesome. Wasn't that big of a fan back in the day - their albums just seemed okay. But they put on an outstanding live show. Even got some of the Joan Jett fans that were drifting into the seating area got on their feet. (Joan audiences seemed to be split evenly between old folks and angry looking young ladies with their hair died black. What are the odds?)

- Shag - cover band from Milwaukee. May have been the best cover band I have seen. Bunch of 25-ish looking guys covered Rush, First Edition, Rolling Stones (segueing into "You should be dancing" by the Bee Gees), a couple country songs, Grateful Dead, DMB, Blues Traveler, and as a finale, "Bohemian Rhapsody", including the operatic vocal section. Two or three clinker notes in that section, but a whole lot better than Queen would have done if they had ever had the guts to try it live.

Didn't see Cameo or OAR, but walked by their stages. Both seemed to draw pretty well. Joan had some empty seats, Thee Hold Steady had a lot.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 am

wack wack wrote:
keysrawk wrote:And Rush sucks. Where is the thread for that? Sign me up.

I love when people post stupid shit like this; now I know that nothing you ever have or ever will post has any credibility whatsoever.

Add me to that list of people you think have no credibility - Rush blows.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:23 am

rrnate wrote:Add me to that list of people you think have no credibility - Rush blows.

You know what? YOU KNOW WHAT?!?

Rush is OK.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keysrawk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Rush does blow - and I'm also not sure why its just assumed that everyone is going for "credibility" on some internet forum.

Now Depeche Mode - they RuLe! omglol smiley face etc
keysrawk

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Any group that incorporates Ayn Rand's objectivism into their music is a bunch of dorks.

My subjectivist opinion.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Gee, arguing about Rush. Original. Welcome to every decade since the 70's. Btw, Henry, the Rand-ish stuff was in 1976. They've only had 15 non-Objectivist studio albums since then, but hey, judge them entirely by that if you like.

Back to the topic: We had one excellent surprise find at Summerfest on Saturday. Arriving early, we checked the schedule to see a listing for Here Come the Mummies, so naturally our curiosity won out.

Arriving at the stage, we were a little dumbfounded to see a 10-piece (or so) band... all dressed as mummies. Literally. Ok, so this was going to be a novelty band. Cute.

Then we heard the music. Wow-- all original, very tight funk. All the subject matter seemed to be about either being undead, kinky sex, or both. Awesome horn lines and killer solos, great harmony vocals. There were coordinated dance moves. Some saxophone humping. A strap-on cowbell. So yes, some pure novelty.

However, it all worked, and the packed crowd loved it. Check 'em out sometime.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:22 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Gee, arguing about Rush. Original. Welcome to every decade since the 70's. Btw, Henry, the Rand-ish stuff was in 1976. They've only had 15 non-Objectivist studio albums since then...

That nobody has listened to but you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 am

Henry Vilas wrote:That nobody has listened to but you.

Actually, they have millions of loyal, hardcore fans. Every single one of them a total nerd.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 am

Kyle Motor wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:That nobody has listened to but you.

Actually, they have millions of loyal, hardcore fans. Every single one of them a total nerd.

Take off, ALL a ya, ya hosers!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 am

Rush rules.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 am

Salesmen!!
diaper daniels